PDA

View Full Version : Recording for Penguins

marnold
January 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM
OK, I don't actually want to record penguins nor am I a penguin myself (at least not at this moment). I'm referring to Linux. Does anyone know of any good and easy-to-use recording software for Linux? I'm not interested in making albums on my computer or anything. I just want something that would allow me to record my guitar over one of the backing tracks posted here. I figure I'm at the point in my guitar skillz now where I can try this. I also would like a recorded history so I can see how I've progressed (or regressed as the case may be).

SuperSwede
January 19th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Here is two that looks nice, havent tried them since I am on a Mac but the specs seems good.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MusELinux/

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Ardour/

Justaguyin_nc
December 12th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Marnold have you tried either of those yet? I been messing with some liveCD versions and enjoy SLAX pretty well... easy boot from CD for my system but it has no audio recording software in the boot.. although one can be added.. I think Audacity has a linux version to.. I am thinking of attempting to add one of those to the Slax liveCD disk eventually.. once I remember how to do all this stuff... anyone wishing to see linux on their system booting from CD ... this has a nice basic setup which I am on at the moment actually.. and one of the very very few that burns to cd, boots and works as described. http://www.slax.org/

Justaguyin_nc
December 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
this has a nice basic setup which I am on at the moment actually.. and one of the very very few that burns to cd, boots and works as described. http://www.slax.org/

Well, I found out that this is a very simple Linux setup... there are lots of modules on the site that makes this about fool proof.. you just download them into the module folder and redo the cd with the included batch file , burn it again and you have a system you want.. Audacity is there and works just the same.. but unfortunate for me this Audigy soundcard card I have is not supported for inputs.. just outputs.. oh and NTFS file systems are read only..sigh, seems I need to wait yet another year for Linux to catch up... but this SLAX does boot nicely and supports alot of audio cards and graphics cards... video and music files work great as it is from start...

marnold
December 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Well, I use Slackware 11.0 as my only OS so I don't need something like Slax, although it is very cool. I have been using Audacity successfully.

Justaguyin_nc
December 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear Audacity is working fine under your Linux system. This brings up a few questions I hope you can answer.

I would like to use a liveCD of linux for Music and web browsing and as you know SLAX is a good start and is actually run with Slackware. Which sound card do you use and does it support the inputs as well as outputs complete with mixer console? What are the best sound cards for a Linux system? it seems sounddrivers for linux are confusing at the least. Is there a multiple setup to recognize which soundcard you are using? Have you taken a look at other programs like Audacity under Linux?

Would be nice to have a little 3.5 LiveCD or usbflash liveOS and carry a usbflash for song storage along to play on any x86 based computer no matter which OS it is running at the time.

thanks for any help.

marnold
December 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I have a Creative Labs Audigy. All of that good stuff is supported via ALSA, which is a part of the 2.6-series kernel. It's been a long time since I had to do anything to configure a sound card in Linux. The only thing I had to do to configure my Audigy is turn up the levels in alsamixer. If I remember correctly I had to crank the Line and Analog Mix sliders to get Audacity to "hear" my playing through the line in.

Justaguyin_nc
December 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
tried that with the mixer etc....no luck.. do you have the external box for line2? or plug into line1? I have ALSA drivers loading... just the inputs seem to have nothing on them.. im using the external but also tried line1 with no luck.

Justaguyin_nc
December 13th, 2006, 10:42 PM
The only thing I had to do to configure my Audigy is turn up the levels in alsamixer.

I looked into what you mentioned Marnold... Thank You... I found that the mixer they supplied on the Distro just didn't have enough options.. installed Kamix and all is well! Audacity recording fine now.. thanks again!

marnold
December 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM
My pleasure. I'm always happy to help with penguin-oriented projects :)

Justaguyin_nc
November 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM
My pleasure. I'm always happy to help with penguin-oriented projects :)
After years of messing with Linux LiveCD's and USB Flash Drives,
I Finally found a version I felt Content enough with, to add to my Hard Drive!

http://PCLinuxOS.com <-- If your a Windows user who has been itching to
use an alternative OS this might be for you also.

My biggest problem moving on to Linux has always been hardware driver availability.

The computers and parts today are made for MS Windows..let's face it, thats the money winner.

The Linux system is really jumping up these days though, Mainstream Dell's have'em..:)
more and more hardware recognized from the start with little, if any tinkering.

It's starting to make sense for all companies to deliver Linux drivers along with MS and Apple drivers,
if you want your product purchased!

I did happen to put PCLinuxOS on my Laptop system with two pieces of hardware not responding,
nor are there drivers yet available for these under linux.
A built in Webcam and a built in Card reader.
I believe with searching and tinkering, the card reader will work.

Don't know about the webcam but I got a feeling a driver for it will show up also.

There are many various types of Linux distributions such as Slackware, Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake etc etc..
it makes your head spin.
All have one thing in common, they are just packages put together to have their own feel and they all use the Linux Kernel.

Choosing one is just a personal preference imho and boils down to the kernel support and user support of the package.

Linux is well..basicly a server software which has a text base, line command background.

But these days it has graphic interfaces that rival Windows and MAC.
And the best thing is..all the software is free!
Made up basicly from people like you and me that just like programming computers!
It's a love love thing more than a money thing. (yeah some people are like that!)

PCLinuxOS (based off of Mandrake) won me over for a few reason.

It can be downloaded as a LiveCD, which means you run it from your CD/DVD player
and install nothing to check it out.
worked wonderfully for me!!
Comes with a full Office Suite, Email, audio and video players, firefox browser etc.. and very good Ethernet and Wireless support,
KDE Graphic Desktop, 3D effects and translucancy and Synaptic GUI program for updates and adding other packages easily and painlessly.

Plus Destop Icons for installing to USB or Hard Drives if you like the system.

I knew I was not going to give up Windows all together. <-- I like my PC Gaming not xboxing!

So I started the Installer Wizard to see my options.
USB Flash Drive Supported, Full Hard Drive With Format supported and Resize a hard drive Partition for dual OS booting along side your already installed windows. (works soooo well!!!)

I went for the Dual boot, Picked the partition I wanted it to reside on and the wizard flawlessly resized my partition and installed PCLinuxOS! (this was done with Vista installed!)

At the same time Grub, a multi bootup utility was also installed allowing me to have a menu on computer Startup/Reboot to choose Linux or my Windows Vista.

On reboot, There it was and it was sweet!
Turned on the 3D effects and translucency and I was grinning
from ear to ear!
This comes with alot of stuff installed already people.

But, when software is free, who can resist!
I needed to get Audacity and a few other music programs and while out searching may as well get some more browsers and etc etc..

That's when Synaptic GUI comes into play.
Synaptic will find everything your looking for and install it painlessly for you!

Browse through all titles available or just do a search and everything available pops into it.
Click a button to get it and off it goes.. installs it, and your ready to use it.

"it's Magic"

If your thinking about Linux, give this a good look!
You don't have to throw away your windows system, everything actually works in it (except some off the wall hardware parts that are driver impaired)
and its a very easy install.

PCLinuxOS is a Quality feel and Build distribution of Linux and you can see how much you really care for it!

http://PCLinuxOS.com

Hql7ewkjYBY

Cheers
:beer: