PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

als_lespaul
May 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I've enjoyed Robert's site, so I decided to sign up. I play mostly rock/blues/worship. I used to be in a Christian band called "Crimson". (http://www.crimsonmusic.com) My gear is as follows:

Guitars: Les Paul Standard, Fender Highway 1 Tele, Ibanez sz520qm (modded), Fender Acoustic/Electric

Amps: Epiphone Valve Standard (with Eminence Texas Heat), Peavey Triple XXX head with a home-made 4x12

Pedals: Snarling Dogs "Blues Bawls" Wah, Boss TU-2, Bad Monkey, Digitech Digidelay, Digitech Multichorus, Digitech Digiverb, Ibanez Turbo Tubescreamer, Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips, Ibanez TL-5 tremolo, Boss RC-20XL loop station, Ebow

Robert
May 25th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Welcome, als_lespaul! Glad you joined us.

I have a TL-5 Tremolo too - nice sounding pedal.

That XXX head sounds like a monster amp! (never played one).

Looks like you were in a pretty successful band, why'd you quit?

als_lespaul
May 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hi Robert!

The Triple XXX is really a monster. I'm actually considering selling it now considering my only live playing is done in church on Sunday's now.

We ended up deciding as a group that we were all headed in different directions. Our lead singer joined the Border Patrol. I had a major career change (for the better). Our drummer is going over seas for mission work, etc. It was just time to throw in the towel. However, it was great fun while it lasted!

I've spent so much time on your dolphinstreet site that I feel like I know you! I live in North Dakota (similar weather to Canada!), and am also a runner. Unfortunately, I have some major knee problems going on right now so I'm cycling instead. I really do appreciate your website though. It's really challenged me to become a better player. Thanks!

duhvoodooman
May 25th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Welcome to TheFret! I see that you have an Epi Valve Standard and wondered what you thought of it? Several of us here have the little 5W Valve Junior, which is quite the little tone machine, esp. considering the price.

als_lespaul
May 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I like the Valve Standard that I have. The only issue that I have with it is that it can sound really dark. I basically have to cut the mids entirely and boost the highs with my fisn'n'chips a little bit to get some chime. However, I only payed $245 for a 15 watt class A amp! It really works perfectly for church where too much volume is a concern.

duhvoodooman
May 25th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Darkness is an issue with the VJr, too. I installed a switchable brightness capacitor in mine, which added some top-end, but it's still quite mid-heavy. It'll never be what you'd call a "chimey" amp without major surgery.

The biggest problem with the original (pre-2006) VJr's was hum, caused by a combination of some funky grounding practices and the use of an AC voltage supply to the tube filaments that created 60Hz hum. I and many others cleaned most of that up with some grounding improvements and installation of a DC rectifier to supply the filaments. Epiphone improved the design and eliminated these problems, first in the head version that came out in late 2005, and then with the combo version starting with 2006 production.

Have you noticed hum issues with the Standard? When did you get the amp?

als_lespaul
May 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I bought the amp on eBay probably 1 year ago. I'm not really sure of the age of it. There is some noise with it and I've actually inquired about some mods for that on other boards but no one seems to have any input. Perhaps you may have some input?

Spudman
May 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I have some major knee problems going on right now so I'm cycling instead.

See! Like I said...cycling is much more body friendly.

I'm a cyclist too although I don't have the challenges that the tableness of North Dakota presents.:rolleyes:

You are by Grand Forks? My ancestral home is in Devils Lake.

Welcome to the forum.

als_lespaul
May 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Yep! I live 28 miles north of Grand Forks. I work in GF everyday though. Yeah, there aren't much for hills here in Eastern ND. I grew up in Western ND where I rode my mountain bike all of the time. And yes, my knees feel much better on the bike than on the pavement!

See! Like I said...cycling is much more body friendly.

I'm a cyclist too although I don't have the challenges that the tableness of North Dakota presents.:rolleyes:

You are by Grand Forks? My ancestral home is in Devils Lake.

Welcome to the forum.

ted s
May 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the Fret Als_LP ! Thanks for the intro. Nice selection of gear you have.
Don't forget to get on the map..

R_of_G
May 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Welcome aboard als_lespaul. Hope you enjoy it here. The people are very friendly and knowledgeable.

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Weclome als_lespaul! Looking forward to your input and participation. It is a nice place here.

tot_Ou_tard
May 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Welcome!! There is something about this forum that attracts Northern North Americans.

You know, I never knew about this whole Sunday Church Rock business until I started playing guitar (I don't go to any church). You guys totally have your own needs. For example the low stage noise or no amp on stage thing. I appreciate the market as it helps push the envelope for us players with neighbors that are waaaay too close.

I mostly use a Tonelab with headphones.

warren0728
May 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM
welcome als_lespaul....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Iago
May 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
welcome als_lespaul!!

oldguy
May 25th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Welcome als_lespaul!:D

SuperSwede
May 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Welcome als_lespaul

250Keith
May 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Hello,

ET335
May 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Welcome als_lespaul!! :D

t_ross33
May 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Welcome!! There is something about this forum that attracts Northern North Americans.

Yep. You're so far North you're almost Canadian :D :cool: I have friends that attend university in Minot, and I've been there a couple of times - toured Strategic Air Command/Minot Air Force Base when I was in Air Cadets (many moons ago).

Welcome from over your North border (Saskatchewan)!

Trev

Tone2TheBone
May 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the Fret dude. :)

tot_Ou_tard
May 29th, 2007, 04:40 PM
als, do you mind if I ask what happens if you drink diet coke in Minto, North Dakota? :D ;) :D

warren0728
May 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
als, do you mind if I ask what happens if you drink diet coke in Minto, North Dakota? :D ;) :D
i bet it shoots out of your nose!!

ww

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Does Al know his guitar is posting here without him?

Haha, welcome AG!

I used to do the church gig too but recently changed churches and probably won't pick that up again unless they really need me, which I don't see happening. That's OK, 3 rock bands should keep me busy!