PDA

View Full Version : 2 country lick videos!

Robert
January 19th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I made 2 small country lick videos - check them out and tell me what you think!

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/country_guitar_lessons

:p

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Robert - They both are prety cool videos. I will be watching them many times. Thanks for your efforts.

I never liked county music when I was younger. I did not care for the older stuff. Today's country is much better to listen to. Your videos just may have me playing it before long.

Tomorrow is a specail day. Warren and I are meeting Iago in Orlando and giving the poor lad some help in replacing the ax that got done in a few weeks ago. The three of us never met before so this should interresting and fun. I hope we do not get kicked out of to many guitar stores in Orlando. There are a number of them there.

A follow up post should be posted by all three of us. We will attempt to take pictures of Iago's newest memeber. I must remember to ask if he came all the way to Orlando Florida from Brazil just to purchase a guitar.

SuperSwede
January 20th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Robert, I really like that twang sound.. :)

Tone2TheBone
January 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Rob,

HOT DAMN HOSS...thats sum fine pickin' son. I think some of the best players in the world are country pickers. Word. Vince Gill frikken rocks on that Tele! I'd give anything to play those kinds of licks. Thanks for sharing.

ps - speaking of chicken pickin' does anyone know if the guitar player from The Cars was a country player? All his solos were country solos. Listen to them.

Robert
January 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I'll be adding more country video licks soon. Let me know if you have any requests!

Tone2TheBone
January 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Rob,

Learn the solo from Vince Gill's "Oklahoma Borderline"

Learn the solo from The Cars "My Best Friends Girl"

Nelskie
January 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM
For those of you reading Robert's post who might be curious, Eliott Easton is the Cars' phoenomenal lead guitarist. Easton's bouncy tone and penchant for the classic pop hook propelled the Cars to multi-platinum success during the late 70's, and well into the mid 80's. You literally couldn't turn on the radio in 1984 without hearing at least something from their mondo-smash LP "Heartbeat City".

As for him being a country player, yes - I can definitely hear that as an influence. However, from what I know, Easton attended the prestigious Berklee School of Music in Boston, Mass., and from there went on to fame with the Cars. He has one solo effort (Change No Change - 1985), which was sandwiched in bewteen his work on the Cars releases "Heartbeat City" (1984) and "Door To Door" (1987). In 1995, Easton was tapped by two of the the original members of Creedence Clearwater Revival (Stu Cook, Doug "Cosmo" Clifford) to be the lead guitarist of their CCR Tribute Act, aptly dubbed "Creedence Clearwater Revisited". CCR, as you know, blends a lot of country-influenced sound into their music, and it's not surprising that Easton was a perfect fit for their group. Much to the dismay of one Mr. John Fogerty, the band enjoyed great success as a touring live act, and still does to this very day, although Easton has since moved on.

Recently, Easton (who's a left-handed player) collaborated with Gretsch Guitars to design & release his new Signature Model, which is based on thier Duo Jet model, obviously with a few of Elliot's fave "tweaks". Here's the link:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6128TLHEE&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

And by the way, in case you were wondering - yes, Ric Ocasek IS an alien. :eek:

Tone2TheBone
January 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Nelski,

As usual you come through with informative well researched information for us. I had no idea who he was...just that his style was very country oriented. Robert was asking me if I had any of those 2 songs I mentioned to him to give him. I don't. I wonder if someone does? MP3 form?

marnold
January 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
And by the way, in case you were wondering - yes, Ric Ocasek IS an alien. :eek:

Yeah but, God bless him, he married Paulina Porizkova.

Tone2TheBone
January 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
That reply is useless without pics. :D

SuperSwede
January 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Let me tell you that Albert Lee is a real country alien, just have a look at him!

Never could get that "country boy" lick right, so that would probably be my request Robert...

http://www.pigtailmusic.com/pigtailImages/albert_lee/al_2_sm.jpg

Robert
January 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Wow, he is starting to look old!

"Country Boy" is a tough song! I'll see what I can do!

SuperSwede
January 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah I know, that is why I requested it ;)

Nelskie
January 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Ask & ye shall receive . . .! The lovely Paulina Porizkova . . . er . . . I mean Mrs. Ric Ocasek.

jpfeifer
January 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Robert - great videos on some country bends, I really like the sounds you're getting!

With reguard to Elliott Easton, I had read an interview with him about his playing and influences in Guitar Player quite a long time ago. The country sounds that you here in his playing are due to his love of Rock-a-billy music. The early Rock-a-billy stuff was really invented by country guys who were influenced by blues musicians so it's kind of a melding of a few different styles. Rock-a-billy was also a big influence on George Harrison's guitar playing and you can hear this in some of his solos. Elliot Easton used a Telecaster on that solo in "Your Best Friend's Girlfriend" which is how he got that twangy-snappy tone.

I really like the tone that Robert is getting for that sound.
One of the things that I've discoverd for getting a good sound for chicken-pickin is to use a compressor and a clean amp setting. You can even get a pretty good country sound out of a Strat by using the treble pickup and a compressor on your guitar.

-- Jim

Tone2TheBone
January 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Oh hell yeahhh buddy. Nice wide...ocean. Way to go Ric!

ps Nelski - thanks ~ZoSo

Tone2TheBone
January 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Hey Jim,

Again thanks for adding more information on Elliott Easton. Very interesting thank you. Sounds like I'm missing a Tele. :)

Robert
January 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks Jim, I used my old Hellhound with some short delay and my old DOD FX80B compressor/sustainer.

Shall try more chik'n pik'n stuff soon.

Robert - great videos on some country bends, I really like the sounds you're getting!

I really like the tone that Robert is getting for that sound.
One of the things that I've discoverd for getting a good sound for chicken-pickin is to use a compressor and a clean amp setting. You can even get a pretty good country sound out of a Strat by using the treble pickup and a compressor on your guitar.

-- Jim

Robert
January 20th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah I know, that is why I requested it ;)

No kidding! I don't think I can play that song - I'd have to quit my job for a week and just practice! It's insane how fast Albert plays that stuff. Ridiculously fast. I also don't have his right hand finger picking technique... not even close ... :)

SuperSwede
January 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM
I have the same problem, parts of the song goes really well but the "break" section is just insanely hard... Perhaps time to look for a tab or something..