PDA

View Full Version : Weber MicroMass

Justaguyin_nc
May 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Well, I think this is the right place to put this.

I recently purchased a Weber MicroMass attenuator https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/micromass.htm for my Valve Junior.
This is a 15 watt max attenuator that is about 5 inches long and 4 inches deep.. roughly.. and seems to be quite strong in the build.

The cool thing.. Line out...
I am a home player.. and noone really wants to hear me but me.. so using the speakers when people are around is a no-no..
This line-out solves that problem with the Valve Junior!!

I think I am having troubles with my drivers in windows vista.. but I do hear a crackling at times thru the line-out.. I blame my computer not the attenuator for it...

You have two dials on this thing.. Lows-Mids and Mids-lows... you can Eq your sound this way or move them both together for same sound.

Setting both dials to 0 allows for line-out with NO speaker sound at all. Setting anyplace above 0 and you can have both, speaker and line-out working.

There is also a Bypass switch when you wish not to use the attenuator at all.

Basicly... to me.. it works..and works great... 5 stars

Although it states 8 ohms.. it suppose to work with 4,8,16 ohms compared to site. I still don't understand that part.. I have hooked it to both a 16ohm cab and 8 ohm cab with same effect.. right or wrong? I dunno..

here is a dumb clip...Valve Junior is cranked full in all clips.. first 30 seconds just me strumming thru the Line-out to computer... second 30 seconds is a mic'ed cabinet with the attenuator set to 3. and the last is bypassed , hearing the mic'ed cab with Junior blasting.

http://www.box.net/shared/xjyc7m5vcg

if you want silent Valve Junior to a line-out..get it!! if you want to crank that valve junior but the neighbors hate you... get it!!!

Justaguyin_nc
May 26th, 2007, 02:09 PM
And here is my reason for a line-out..lol.. loud 5 watter ... this is thru the line-out to audigy card... it's breaking up.. but.. I like the sound after a few beers..:) MicroMass- 70 bucks..but they take a week or two to make them for you...

http://www.box.net/shared/q43oekcpnc

tot_Ou_tard
May 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
So Vood how do you like your Weber MiniMass or MicroMass or whatever you have? Have you ever used it to go direct through a cab simulator?

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I have the little 15W MicroMASS--picked up a "mint" condition used one on the 'Bay. Like it very much. Very flexible, with compatibility with 4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker systems and two separate frequency range attenuation controls (lows-mids and mids-highs). Doesn't noticeably color the tone until you really crank the attenuation to 90% or so (1 or lower on the control dials). This attenuator uses a speaker motor for the power attenuation, not a resistive load. Very natural sounding, to my ear. Even though I don't run any amps over 20W, even my 5W Valve Jr. can be deafeningly loud in the small room where I do 95% of my playing. So if I want to crank up the gain/volume for natural overdrive (as opposed to using a pedal), this thing is a godsend.

Have only used it between an amp and the speaker output thusfar....

tot_Ou_tard
May 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the update Vood. I'm glad that its working for you.