PDA

View Full Version : New Side Band Gig Report: 5/25

Brian Krashpad
May 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
So in April I sat in on bass with my buddy Doug's band, called Dynamite Charade. A week or so ago he PM'd me and asked if I'd like to come aboard as a guitarist, as a full member. "Full membership" is a little misleading though, my friend the singer/songwriter/bandleader lives up in St. Augustine; the rest of the band lives in or near Gainesville, which is a couple hours away. As a result they don't play very many shows and have zero regular practice schedule. Instead the singer breezes in day of show or the day before, they do one run-through out at the drummer's house (he has a band room studio with a PA set up, fridge, bar, etc.), and then they do the show that night (or the following night).

They did their band run-through Thursday night for last night's show but I was van-less and had a practice with my "other" sideband (our singer came and got me, as my wife was working and had the car) so I couldn't make it. My Friday sucked, with my van still not outta the shop and repair costs unexpectedly almost tripling. I managed about an hour of run-through at my office with just the singer, adding some guitarist's notes to the bass cheats I'd made for the show in April.

Then we jumped in our vehicles (I had to use Mrs. K's SUV, a nice car but I call it the "Mom-mobile" and really prefer to pull up to a venue in a van, even my mini-van) and went to the club. Some buddy of the management did a solo acoustic set to open and we had the middle slot, with some band from Orlando closing. The acoustic guy was pretty mediocre, not embarrassingly so but out of place doing covers on a bill with 2 originals bands.

Our sound check had been awful from my vantage. I sounded too loud to me, too soft to everyone else. My guitar (the new mini-humbuckered Daisy Rock Retro-H pink cheapo) sounded thick and boomy and I just felt totally out of the groove.

So I was all set to continue what had been my disastrous day into our set. To make matters more interesting, while at my office my buddy Doug had seen my ol' wighat on a mic stand in my office and decided I should wear it all night and stay in character as "Sven," their new hotshot guitarist fresh in from Helsinki Finland.

Being an idiot, of course I had agreed.

But then something interesting happened.

We went up onstage and everything changed. With one exception where I got overexuberant and didn't end my solo at the right spot, I could do no wrong. Holy cow I was killing up there. The rig sounded fanf*ckingtastic, my fills worked, even my backing vox (falsetto on one song!) were on. We progressively amped things up slowly through the set and I went nutso during the last 2 or 3 songs. Then we closed with one we hadn't practiced earlier in the evening at the office, but which I'd done years ago in a predecessor band with the same singer: the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" which has a sidetrack segue' into Modern English's "Melt With You," and then back to the Stones.

The first time I had ever played that medley was onstage with the same guy many years previously, on both occasions he had sprung the "Melt With You" bit on me and I picked it up without skipping a beat. Fortunately back in my 80's party band days I had done "Melt With You" and learned the odd little backing vocal (singing "Let's stop the world, stop" in between the lead vocal lines) and last night it came back like riding a bike. I was on rock and roll autof*ckingpilot, baby.

Damn it was good.

Anyhow, afterward we loaded out and hung out for a bit of the closers' set. A mutual friend of the singer's and me invited everyone over to his place for an aftershow. The Dynamiter's rhythm section split but Doug and I went. This guy is a UF professor (chemistry or something), a few years older than I, never married or had kids until he married a tall leggy blonde many years his junior a couple years ago.

Our host plays in a local rockabilly band and lives in a very nice home (his own little Graceland--actually the house is every bit as big as Graceland, which is not all that huge by modern standards) in an older but swanky neighborhood. I'd been invited to parties there several times in the past but had never made it out. It was a very small gathering: our hosts, Doug and I, and a couple who were mutual friends of us other 4. Although I was offered crash space it was a bit late to call home so instead I determined to drink a few bottled waters and chill out for awhile and then drive home. It was an interesting gathering. Everyone else was drinking and there were some other substances around as well, which I politely declined. The rockabilly guy played us some recordings of his new 60's style garage/pychedelic band and showed us his very nice home studio and guitars, including a vintage Gretsch he said he recently found out was worth about 6 grand.

Meanwhile the two women (both of whom are very attractive) were in a very... playful mood. The girlfriend from the visiting couple insisted on wearing my wighat, and the host wife went and fished out more wigs, one of which she wore, plus a Beatle-type moptop she plopped on Doug. The girl wearing my wighat kept profusely complimenting me on my performace at the club, almost always reaching out and touching me for emphasis. (Within minutes of the first time I had met her, a couple months earlier in a club, she PLANTED one on me, dead on the mouth, in a club. I'm sure if I hadn't been in shock and had reciprocated, which of course being married I would not do, there would've been tongues.)

It was rather surreal, while still being immensely enjoyable. I kept getting the vibe that at any second an orgy could break out. Which I'm sure was inaccurate, but that's still how it seemed. Being a married man, I made my partings for the night and drove home safe and sound, getting in relatively early, about 2:30.

Here's some pics. Comments on my poseritude, etc., are welcomed as always.

Here's my rig, w/the bassist tuning up:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_8aSRESsL.JPG

Band late in the set. The blurry blob with the pink guitar blob in the middle is me:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_YcLeHAXN.JPG

Will bump w/more pics presently, as they're uploaded (@ home w/slow connection).

BK

Brian Krashpad
May 26th, 2007, 02:29 PM
https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_wQIIJQi1.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_g59WzXuF.JPG

Brian Krashpad
May 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_GOh677JJ.JPG

Brian Krashpad
May 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM
During some of the later solos I was doing the Angus-headmosh and I was afraid I was gonna flip my wig! It was all over the place. Between songs I had to act like I was scratching my head but I was really trying to keep the fool thing on straight. You can see it's turned around in this shot:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_bI51bZg0.JPG

BARNSTORMER
May 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Rock on brother and fellow lunatic . your dedication to the craft is to be commended .. you sortta got a Mick Ralphs thing goin on with that wig .

sunvalleylaw
May 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
LOL! That looks like a blast. Glad it came together for you that night! :DR :R :DR

Brian Krashpad
May 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys. I left the wighat with the girl who wanted to wear it at the end of the night.

Hopefully it'll be a long time before i see it again. That thing was hot. :(

tot_Ou_tard
May 27th, 2007, 05:48 PM
That wins the best story ever on the Fret!!

I'm happy you had fun--doubly so because you let us in on the experience.

I think the Daisy Sven Rocker look works!

Brian Krashpad
May 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM
That wins the best stroy ever on the Fret!!

I'm happy you had fun--doubly so because you let us in on the experience.

I think the Daisy Sven Rocker look works!

Haha, thanks. But if that's the best story, y'all need some young blood here-- single guys who stay out all night and make all the same stupid choices I made almost 30 years ago! I mean, there was no actual sex (that I know of), very minor dr*g use (which I didn't partake in), and I was abed by 3 a.m.

Still, I think for an aging married lawyer I take a pretty good crack at having fun.

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/54168/IMG_m7dZlWBe.JPG

Shoot maybe I need to dig out the story of a show from last year where some relatives (a divorced couple) of a bandmate showed up to a gig, and the guy had to be taken home before the show started having mixed Xanax and a sixer. The gal was hitting on (well, at one point reportedly sticking her tongue down the throat of) another bandmate 15 years her junior, and her boyfriend got ejected from the club, only to come back later, come up onstage during the set, and fall flat on his ***.

Here's the boyfriend, at my feet as we played:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/3334/013_13.JPG

Oops, I guess I just told another story.

;) :D

tot_Ou_tard
May 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Oops, I guess I just told another story.

;) :D
Tell another one Daddy Krashpad....puhleeeeaase! ;) :D

Brian Krashpad
May 28th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Tell another one Daddy Krashpad....puhleeeeaase! ;) :D

Oh man, don't get me started. The show immediately before the Crazy Couple show was the Exploding Drummer show. We're playing a cool little club, first band opens, we're playing the middle slot, first band strikes the stage and we start setting up.

Sound guy comes up and asks how many vocal mics we need. The drummer asks for one. I find this somewhat odd, as he's never asked for one before, but since his predecessor used to do some backing vox, I figure he's stepping up, which is more than fine by me.

Anyhow, the set proceeds apace, all is well. Then we get to the closer. After the end of the penultimate song, I suddenly hear the drummer's voice over the PA shouting "THIS IS MY LAST-EVER SHOW FOR CRASH PAD!" Then he clicks us into the closer.

I haven't seen him since.

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/3279/006_2A.JPG

:( :mad:

tot_Ou_tard
May 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Anyhow, the set proceeds apace, all is well. Then we get to the closer. After the end of the penultimate song, I suddenly hear the drummer's voice over the PA shouting "THIS IS MY LAST-EVER SHOW FOR CRASH PAD!" Then he clicks us into the closer.

I haven't seen him since.

:( :mad:

I told you guyz that it's ALWAYS the penultimate.

He didn't express any disatisfaction before that? It seems like kind of a screw-you way to depart.

t_ross33
May 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Awesome BK - stories supported by pics are so, so... extortionistic :D

I'm going to start a new thread instead of hijacking this one so we can share some war stories!

Trev

Brian Krashpad
May 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I told you guyz that it ALWAYS the penultimate.

He didn't express any disatisfaction before that? It seems like kind of a screw-you way to depart.

Haha, sorry, people pay me to use words like that.

Yeah, it definitely came off that way, no prior discusion of him leaving with me.

It was more pussy passive-aggressive than eff-you though. What'd he think I was gonna do, beat hm up?

I think his old lady was behind it. At a couple shows she had to come get him at the end of the night.

I blame cell phones!

:mad: :D

Brian Krashpad
May 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Awesome BK - stories supported by pics are so, so... extortionistic :D

I'm going to start a new thread instead of hijacking this one so we can share some war stories!

Trev

Haha, I'll see you over there!

sunvalleylaw
May 28th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Haha, sorry, people pay me to use words like that.

Yeah, it definitely came off that way, no prior discusion of him leaving with me.

It was more pussy passive-aggressive than eff-you though. What'd he think I was gonna do, beat hm up?

I think his old lady was behind it. At a couple shows she had to come get him at the end of the night.

I blame cell phones!

HaHa! Great stories! Cell phones and fax machines can be blamed for a lot, at least in the practice of law. Keep those war stories coming!

Spudman
May 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM

If I was working with a person that seemed mostly balanced, and I was planning to quit, and I was going to go the normal route of considerately telling the whole group...then just before the big moment the most powerful person in the whole organization whips out a PINK gitar...I'd probably change tactics too.:rolleyes: Although, I wouldn't have done it the way he did. I probably would have first bought you a Manhattan and a pack of Virginia Slims and suggest we go talk in some discrete corner.:D :p roflmao

Damn Yokos!

Brian Krashpad
May 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
If I was working with a person that seemed mostly balanced, and I was planning to quit, and I was going to go the normal route of considerately telling the whole group...then just before the big moment the most powerful person in the whole organization whips out a PINK gitar...I'd probably change tactics too.:rolleyes: Although, I wouldn't have done it the way he did. I probably would have first bought you a Manhattan and a pack of Virginia Slims and suggest we go talk in some discrete corner.:D :p roflmao

Damn Yokos!

Good analysis, except he quit Nov. 19, 2006 and the pink guitar arrived May 22 2007. :D

And I drink beer. ;)