PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the bridge on a Squier '51 w/the GF model - worth the effort?

tremoloman
May 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I bought one of these and I was wondering if it was worth the trouble of installing it since some of you have already done so.

I see 3 of screw holes line up but I will need to drill 2 new ones. No big deal - but I'd like your opinions on whether its worth making the switch to get rid of that horrible rattle.

Your thoughts?

M29
May 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hello tremoloman,

I don't have any trouble with mine yet but I hear they work well.

One thing I thought of when drilling holes in guitars is a hobby drill. You can get these at hobby shops and you use twist them by hand. This gives you a lot of control over depth and does not get a way from you like an electric motor can sometimes.
I will see if I can get a picture of mine.

M29

oldguy
May 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
The general consensus is yes, it's worth the upgrade.
That being said, I eliminated most, but not all, of the rattle by doing the following...
I removed the screws that hold the string saddles, and the strings, and swapped holes. That is, I put the saddle screws in the bottom holes, which puts the saddles at an upward angle (by tightening the allen screws) from rear to front . Then I ran the strings through the top holes (which makes them easier to change), and re-intonated the saddles. The string holes are a bit snug for the screws, but they will fit w/o drilling if you coax them a bit.
When you tighten the allen screws in the bridge saddles down to angle the saddles upwards, it will also help keep the allen screws from digging into your palm when you mute.

PS... not my idea... found it on the Squier '51 modder's forum...and it helps alot. If you've already bought the bridge, you could try the cheap fix first, and if it doesn't do it, put the GF on there.
Then you could post your opinion, to help me decide whether to buy the GF or go with a Bigsby. I'm still GASin' for a Bigsby, but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet as they cost almost as much as I paid for the '51. Thanks in advance for the help!:D

Robert
May 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I did the upgrade, it helped but honestly, it's not a HUGE improvement. The guitar still has a bit of "rubber feel" to it - not sure where that comes from. I'm wondering if a string-through bridge might help more? Might not, though.

tremoloman
June 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... I do have a spare set of graph-tech saddles lying around... wonder if they would help?

Justaguyin_nc
September 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I did the upgrade today with the black bridge for looks.. did it improve anything? to me...dunno.. will take some time.. nothing stands out as an improvement to me.. other then the looks... added black tuners.. black trees.. black pickguard and knobs.... I likes it...:AOK:

:R

I also got black straplocks from guitarfetish with the rest of this stuff.. unfortunate for me...one did not work.. but.. on the good side, they are shipping a new set out with a return lablel for the old set.. now thats how ya get me back as a return customer!:Dude:

oldguy
September 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Justa,
Looks nice, man, you took an inexpensive axe and made it look cool.
Congrats, dude.:beer:

marnold
September 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I did the upgrade today with the black bridge for looks.. did it improve anything? to me...dunno.. will take some time.. nothing stands out as an improvement to me.. other then the looks... added black tuners.. black trees.. black pickguard and knobs.... I likes it...:AOK:
Did you have problems with the bridge rattling before you replaced it and, if so, did this seem to fix it?

sunvalleylaw
September 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Justa,
Looks nice, man, you took an inexpensive axe and made it look cool.
Congrats, dude.:beer:

Ditto! I like your stable of guitars. Good taste! :pancake (since it's saturday morning):pancake

Justaguyin_nc
September 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys... I think the black came out nice with this thing.

Did you have problems with the bridge rattling before you replaced it and, if so, did this seem to fix it?

I had the string rattle with the old bridge Marnold... after a day this seems to have helped..but its much to early to be honest about it.. the original one didn't bother me at first.. but heard and felt it weeks later.. I will give my opinion again "I am sure" in a week or two.

With the five screws in and new strings and all, this is solid "right now" and the bridge itself is a heavier design.

I did the whole thing.. toothpicks and white glues all old holes.. Dremel out all new holes.. the pickguard actually had NONE that lined up.. the bridge has the three line up as mentioned and the two bottom ones are about 1/2 inch inside the old ones..

All electrics are still the same, but might change that...I actually tried another Neck pickup that I had laying around.. a "Select Emg" and perfer the original that came with the 51.

Height adjusment, Intonation, Stringing the bridge, it all was easily done with the new bridge.

Pancakes for everyone....:pancake

kerc
September 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Ya know what got rid of rattling permanently on my 51 (I sold it a few months ago)? I drilled new holes between the existing string holes, and installed a three brass barrel set from a Telecaster.

:D

jasongins
September 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Can someone define for me what this string rattle at the bridge sounds like? My '51 seems basically ok, except for the high E string. There is a certain "plink" sound it makes when you pick it, as if it were buzzing against a fret. This is despite my best efforts to adjust it out.

Justaguyin_nc
September 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Can someone define for me what this string rattle at the bridge sounds like? My '51 seems basically ok, except for the high E string. There is a certain "plink" sound it makes when you pick it, as if it were buzzing against a fret. This is despite my best efforts to adjust it out.

That's basicly what I had... plinking sound.. between the g and high e.. so far..the new bridge.. it's working..but its brand spanking new..so...

abraxas
September 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I've got the GFS bridge a long time ago and it certainly helps, in a small way, as Robert says. It's certainly better made than the original.

As for the "rubber feel" it boils down to the top load stringing. I feel that it makes the sound and feel more "airy" for lack of a better word.

If you want a firmer feel, then putting a shim on the neck is a solution. That way you can set saddles higher resulting in more pressure on the bridge.

Justaguyin_nc
September 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I also got black straplocks from guitarfetish with the rest of this stuff.. unfortunate for me...one did not work.. but.. on the good side, they are shipping a new set out with a return lablel for the old set.. now thats how ya get me back as a return customer!:Dude:

Guitarfetish.com is A+++ at the present time for me... I already recieved the replacement straplocks and they work fine... good service, good communications..:beer:

jasongins
September 11th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I think I hear the rattling, kind of a faint but sustained metalllic jingling coming from the bridge area. I would be curious about just changing the saddles with a set of these (http://store.guitarfetish.com/upststsafitr.html) rather than changing out the entire bridge. It is not any cheaper, but they look to be high quality.

Bloozcat
September 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM
The underlying problem with the Squire 51 bridge is poor string angle over the bridge saddles. The stock bridge has such a shallow angle that it does not create enough downward pressure on the bridge saddles. Because of this, you get plinkiness and rattle. The GFS replacement bridge might not be the absolute best choice in a top loader bridge, but it certainly alievates the tension/pressure issue created by the stock unit. It also makes re-stringing easier, and in keeping with the theme of the Squire 51 as a great inexpensive guitar, the bridge is cost effective at only $11.00 or so. As to the top loader vs. string through bridge comparisons, that's another arguement altogether.

tremoloman
September 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM
The underlying problem with the Squire 51 bridge is poor string angle over the bridge saddles. The stock bridge has such a shallow angle that it does not create enough downward pressure on the bridge saddles. Because of this, you get plinkiness and rattle. The GFS replacement bridge might not be the absolute best choice in a top loader bridge, but it certainly alievates the tension/pressure issue created by the stock unit. It also makes re-stringing easier, and in keeping with the theme of the Squire 51 as a great inexpensive guitar, the bridge is cost effective at only $11.00 or so. As to the top loader vs. string through bridge comparisons, that's another arguement altogether.

Thanks... I decided I'm going to put my old '51 back together using my Squier B&C tele neck, the GF bridge, and my old fire-hydrant red painted body. Should look... interesting. :)