PDA

View Full Version : Stupid me - neck cracking

Robert
May 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I got a nice '51 neck from a friend. I wanted to put it on my SX, so I tried. The holes didn't quite line up perfectly, and in my stupidity I tried to screw in the screws, even though they went in at a bit of an angle.

Crack! :mad:

I should have known better. Punish me.

I need to shave off a bit of the end of the neck in order to get it to line up with the holes on the body.

Do you think I recked it? I am hoping it might work ok anyway. The crack doesn't go all the way through to the fretboard.

Tone2TheBone
May 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I got a nice '51 neck from a friend. I wanted to put it on my SX, so I tried. The holes didn't quite line up perfectly, and in my stupidity I tried to screw in the screws, even though they went in at a bit of an angle.

Crack! :mad:

I need to shave off a bit of the end of the neck in order to get it to line up with the holes on the body.

Do you think I recked it? I am hoping it might work ok anyway. The crack doesn't go all the way through to the fretboard.

No more guitar modding for you bad boy. Looks like some glue and some strong clamps are in order.

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Looks like some glue and some strong clamps are in order.
+1 on Dr. Tone's prescription....

250Keith
May 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM
You can try some JB weld or some kind of epoxy that is sold in your neck of the woods, fill the hole and crack and clamp it, let it dry resand it then redrill it. It will be just fine! Rock on!:D

ted s
May 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
You didn't wreck it, as 250K suggested, there are many amazing "hold space shuttles together type" glue available.

Mark
May 29th, 2007, 02:06 PM
DO NOT use gorilla glue it causes wood to swell! Get some wood workers glue and a C clamp. Glue the crack (inject glue into crack) then clamp it. While it is clamped get a piece of wood dowel sand it so it inserts snuggly into the screw hole. I usually clean out the hole with a drill to make a nice fit for my dowel. Once it is cut and fitted put glue on the dowel and some in the hole then insert the dowel. After all has dried (dont rush it!!) redrill the appropriate size hole with the correct alignment and reassemble. Hope this helps.

Tone2TheBone
May 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yes Mark is right don't use any other glue other than wood glue. I sent you this link but I'll post it here for future reference...

Making new holes in a neck...
http://461.free.fr/Lutherie/

250Keith
May 29th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Sorry, As mark & tone 2 said dont use gorilla glue it will foam up and expand, its great for construction not for furniture, find a good epoxy it is workable drillable and sandable.
Keith.

Spudman
May 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Oops! In a bit of a hurry were we? I totally understand because I've done it too.:(

These guys got ya covered. Wood glue, clamps, dowels, drill and bits and most importantly...patience.

sesroh
May 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
ouuuuuccch.. it happens. we all make our mistakes. a lesson learned?

Mark
May 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Yes Mark is right don't use any other glue other than wood glue. I sent you this link but I'll post it here for future reference...

Making new holes in a neck...
http://461.free.fr/Lutherie/

That is EXACTLY the correctamundo methodology for the proper mitigation of a stress induced fissure of a Guitire neck. Ifin ya do it right no one will ever know cept you and the 48000 people who might have seen this post:eek:

snarph
May 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Yup

clue fill the old holes with dowels good as new

LagrangeCalvert
May 30th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I am training under a luth here in cincy.....Tremoloman knows who I am talking about.....I told him about this and he suggested that after gluing and trimming the neck to fit to put a lacqure(sp) on the wood then sand it smooth....Its not a wreck at all....anyone who has modded guitars has done something along the lines of screwing up.

oldguy
June 1st, 2007, 05:58 AM
Fretters to the rescue!:D They've got you covered, huh, Robert? What a great bunch.:p

[QUOTE=Robert]Crack! :mad:

QUOTE]

Get that guitar neck fixed and then go to your room and think about what you did (while you play yer guitar).:D