PDA

View Full Version : "Relic'ing" Fender pickguards

Tone2TheBone
May 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I'm thinking Tremoloman has the answer...but I'll ask here anyway.

Has anyone tried to change the color of their white Fender pickguards either by coffee relic'ing or by direct sunlight? Trem said he did some parts by just taping them to the window and letting the sun tint them naturally. I've tinted Strat knobs and switch tips and pickup covers using coffee but never a white pickguard. I'm not sure tinting would work on the pickguard though...it's too shiny I think. Anyway has anyone tried it?

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Haven't tried it, but be advised that surface shininess is not necessarily a good predictor of "tintability". That's going to be heavily influenced by the chemical nature of the plastic substrate and its affinity for the substance used for tinting. In general, more polar plastics, like nylons, will tend to take color more easily.

ted s
May 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Me thinks DVM is a closet mad scientist, you sound like a man of many disiplines.. no smarta$$ness implied... :D

Tone2TheBone
May 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Voo - Would you happen to know the precise chemical formula of said Fender pickguards and their properties? haha ted's got you pegged alright. ;)

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I'm a chemist by training and made my living, directly and indirectly, in the plastics industry for 22 years.

No, I don't know what the Fender p/g plastic is offhand, but cut out a chunk and send it to me along with a check for $500, and I'll have them run some tests at the local lab where my current employer has all their analytical work done.... :eek: ;)

Tone2TheBone
May 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I'm a chemist by training and made my living, directly and indirectly, in the plastics industry for 22 years.

No, I don't know what the Fender p/g plastic is offhand, but cut out a chunk and send it to me along with a check for $500, and I'll have them run some tests at the local lab where my current employer has all their analytical work done.... :eek: ;)

LOL I'll opt for the ole trial and error approach sir. :p

Mark
May 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Your slippin ole buddy!! I figured you to ask fer a chunk the take a little chomp on it with yer teeth then give us a complete analysis of its make up..:eek:

tremoloman
June 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yes I got mine to fade by leaving it taped to my sunroof window for 1-2 months. I was going to try leaving it in the back window of my car but I've seen what the sun can do to CDs and opted to play it safe this way.

Another way I got an aged one once was I told a friend, "Hey... let me fix up your Strat!" I bought a brand new pickguard and knob set and installed it for him while I did a complete overhaul. He loved how his Strat looked brand new again and I loved having authentic 7 year old plastics. :)