PDA

View Full Version : Humbucker installation

nstrydom
May 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I have a firstact me302, that my parents bought from wal mart, I thought maybe I could mod it by putting 1 invader humbucker and a dimebucker. Now, the guitar I have has 2 singles so i don't think this project will work, obviously I don't that much about modding guitars I just know what humbuckers provide great metal sounds. Would anyone mind letting me know if this project is possible?

duhvoodooman
May 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM
If the guitar currently has single coil pickups installed, chances are good that you cannot install full size humbuckers without having to rout the wood, not to mention cutting larger holes in the pickguard, if this model has one installed over the p'ups. Instead, you should be looking into "stacked" humbuckers, which are the same size as regular single coils. If you want hot pickups with plenty of distortion, as would seem to be the case by your choice of humbucker models, then look at something like the Duncan SHR-1 "Hot Rails" (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/stratsdescr.shtml#HotRailsforStrat) for the bridge position. Personally, I'd recommend a "cooler" pickup for the neck position, though. That will give you a broader range of available tones from the guitar than putting a hot p'up in both locations.

snarph
May 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Here is another choice for a hum bucker in single coil size they come in three styles and are coil tap able configuration

http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/lilkicrhurap.html

duhvoodooman
May 30th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Those would certainly be a whole lot more cost-effective than the Duncan Hot Rails, which are very good but quite expensive.

nstrydom
May 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, the stacked single coil seems like a better idea... And by the reviews I'm reading it the hot rails have that heavy metal sound I want. Thanks So much!!!!

Spudman
May 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Don't forget that those Hot Rail type pickups are 4 conductor and can be split to achieve a not as hot sound. That makes them a little more versatile.

What else you might need is a potentiometer with a switch function (pull for coil cut). These are pretty inexpensive and when you have everything apart putting the pups in you can drop one into your tone or volume spot at the same time.