PDA

View Full Version : $29.99 Bass at Music 123

7lords
May 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Another blowout deal:

Black $29.99 (http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=291064)

Black/Silver Reverse Burst $39.99 (http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=291063)

Tough to go wrong for $35 shipped.

marnold
May 31st, 2007, 08:37 AM
Well, I think I know what I want for Father's Day. Now to see if I can get the approval of SWMBO.

Ro3b
May 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM
I'm all over this.

duhvoodooman
May 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM
Me, too. Just ordered one of the black ones. Not sure if I'll keep it, give it away or sell it, but who can pass up a price like this?? If it's even half as good as the Fullerton ST4's I bought, then it's a steal at $30!

marnold
May 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Well, I decided to be the last of the big-time spenders and plunk down the extra Hamilton for the reverse silverburst. Happy Father's Day to me! I'm going to be a bass player again!

WackyT
May 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
I decided to get an acoustic pack (http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-Deluxe---Pack-3a-Left-Handed---Acoustic-Guitar-(Closeout)-i228758.music), seeing as I already have 2 electrics. I want to learn to play both.

7lords
May 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Looks like the Black is now sold out. For you lefties out there, there is also a $29.99 pack that includes amp/bag/strap, etc.

$29.99 Sunburst Lefty Pack (http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-Bass-Pack-3a-Left-Handed---Bass-Guitar-i228763.music)

jasongins
May 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Even the t-shirts (http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-T-shirt-(Closeout)-i435827.music) are on closout.

sunvalleylaw
May 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
Man it is tempting to buy more, just because. I can't believe how cheap it all is.

r_a_smith3530
May 31st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Man it is tempting to buy more, just because. I can't believe how cheap it all is.

Yeah, I know what you're saying there. I just cannot personally justify it at present. I've got the Bronco bass to rework, and I just recently brought the ZON and Ibanez basses home, so I need to keep it low profile for now. It is tempting though!

Anyway, amplification upgrades are my next focus. There's this sweet Peavey Firebass 700 head I've got my eye on...

Spudman
May 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Those cheapies are gone.:(

sunvalleylaw
May 31st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Well, I don't need a bass right now anyhow. I am still learning my guitar! And having fun doing it by the way, thanks in large part to all you fine folks.

tot_Ou_tard
June 1st, 2007, 06:22 AM
Well, I don't need a bass right now anyhow. I am still learning my guitar! And having fun doing it by the way, thanks in large part to all you fine folks.
Ditto. :)

marnold
June 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Those cheapies are gone.:(
The reverse silverburst are still in stock (just checked!), if you can handle the extra $10 ($437 Canadian).

Leonidas
June 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
well I went ahead and got the silverburst... I figured I'm never gonna get a better price than that. Been meaning to pick up a cheap bass for jamming, and man i don't know if its ever gonna get cheaper than that. Thanks for the link!

marnold
June 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Despite them being on clearance, evidently they aren't in a big hurry to ship them out. Even though I ordered mine yesterday at 1:30 P.M., it's still "Processing in warehouse." Oh well. It'll get here eventually.

DaveO
June 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Grabbed one and a small amp for $99.98 shipped. How can you lose?
Thanks for the tip.
Dave

marnold
June 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Despite them being on clearance, evidently they aren't in a big hurry to ship them out. Even though I ordered mine yesterday at 1:30 P.M., it's still "Processing in warehouse." Oh well. It'll get here eventually.
Well, that's what I get for posting. I got an email at 9:30 P.M. saying that it had been shipped via FedEx. According to FedEx's tracker, it's coming out of South Bend, IN, and will actually be here tomorrow.

DaveO
June 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
I figured I'd get an e-mail confirming my order, but nothing yet.
We want a full report when you get yours Marnold.
Dave

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I ordered mine during my lunch hour on Thursday and got the "shipped" notiifcation last night at 10 PM. It's in Chicago this AM, scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Music123 isn't the fastest shipper, but they're generally not too bad. With one exception (and not counting B/O's, of course), everything I've order from them has been shipped within two business days.

pie_man_25
June 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
wow!! such a deal! if only my mother would let me get another bass!! yeah, sweet deal!

DaveO
June 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't get my e-mail from music123 so I called and my order didn't go through. Of course they are sold out now. But they had their standard bass for the same price. Hopefully this one will go through.
Dave

marnold
June 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well, apparently the folks at FedEx are bad estimators. It didn't get here today. Should be Monday, methinks.

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
I don't think FedEx delivers on Saturdays.

DaveO
June 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
I don't think music123 likes me. I still haven't gotten any confirmation that I ordered from them. :confused: :confused:
Dave

marnold
June 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't think FedEx delivers on Saturdays.
I didn't think they did either, until the EX-7 I ordered on eBay showed up on a Saturday. I've even seen a UPS van trying to deliver something on a Saturday too. Now the FedEx site has a shipped date but no estimated delivery date.

r_a_smith3530
June 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Now the FedEx site has a shipped date but no estimated delivery date.

Hmm, sounds like a phone call would be in order...

marnold
June 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I ordered mine during my lunch hour on Thursday and got the "shipped" notiifcation last night at 10 PM. It's in Chicago this AM, scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Music123 isn't the fastest shipper, but they're generally not too bad. With one exception (and not counting B/O's, of course), everything I've order from them has been shipped within two business days.
Does your FedEx tracking number say anything else besides "Package data transmitted to FedEx"? That's all mine says. According to FedEx that means that they created a label for it but didn't actually send it out yet. Otherwise there would be an outgoing scan, etc.

7lords
June 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Mine says:

Jun 1, 2007 4:35 AM

Arrived at FedEx location

CHICAGO, IL

Been there since Friday and it says it will be delivered tomorrow. WTF? It takes 4 days to get from Chicago to Madison? The other part of my order, Wallacher Black Folding Rack Mount (3) were delivered on Friday.

DaveO
June 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Finally got mine straight. I looks like they have a 24 or more hour delay between me ordering and them sending a confirmation. I had to call to get it straight but now my order has been shipped. They sent me a tracking # and it was shipped out today. Let's see how it goes now. I hope I get it by Friday because it is for my son and he gets out of school that day.
Dave

marnold
June 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I just got off the horn with Music 123. The person I spoke to said that if it was actually sent out on the 1st, I should have received it already. She was going to have her manager check it out and email me with the results. I'll give them this: she was very pleasant to deal with.

DaveO
June 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
The folks at FedEx say that delivery will be 6/7/07. I hope so.
Dave

Leonidas
June 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
The folks at FedEx say that delivery will be 6/7/07. I hope so.
Dave

Mine too.... lookin forward to it. My first bass :)

7lords
June 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Jun 5, 2007 6:50 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

MADISON, WI

marnold
June 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
My tracking number still says the same thing as yesterday. To quote Han Solo, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Don't fear yet Marnold! My orders always have taken a long time, seemingly saying the same thing on tracking for days (processing in warehouse took a long time), then sort of just showed up. Hopefully, it will be made right.

duhvoodooman
June 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, the FedEx tracking status for these ground shipments usually stays the same for days, until it shows up at your local FedEx terminal for final delivery. Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, though the last logged location was Chicago on Saturday morning. I have no doubt that when I check it tomorrow morning, it will have arrived at the local terminal overnight and be in an "Out for Delivery" status. Has happened this way on everything I've bought from Music123. So fear not!

marnold
June 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
'Cept in my case the Music123 site shows the order as completed. The FedEx site does not show a departure scan. That means my box is still sitting in the factory or it was double-stickered and is going off to someone else. FedEx usually delivers in the morning, still nothing. I called Music123 about 24 hours ago and still haven't heard back. I'm going to give them until tomorrow about this time, then I'm going to call them back. If it still can't be located then, I'm just going to ask for my money back. It should only take one day via FedEx ground to get from South Bend to here.

7lords
June 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
mine was delivered this afternoon - should get some time to test it out when I get home tonight

7lords
June 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Opened it up and set it up last night. Very nice, especially for $30. Minor fret sprout (but not nearly as bad at the Fat Fully) that can easily be sanded down is about the only negative. Neck is straight, weight is nice and sound is great for a $30 bass.

marnold
June 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Well, good news! Apparently, the manager in question found my bass languishing in the warehouse. It was picked up at 5:41 last night and his Green Bay for delivery at 3:30 this morning. I'll give a full report, although it might not be until Friday when I can really sit down with it for an extended period of time.

WackyT
June 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Received my $30 Fullerton acoustic, but it has a big crack in the front body. OH SUGAR!!! :(

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Received my $30 Fullerton acoustic, but it has a big crack in the front body. OH SUGAR!!! :(
Oh, man, that sux big time! My guess is that "sugar" wasn't your initial choice of words! ;) I'm sure that Music123 will make good on it, but who needs the hassle?

My Fully bass was delivered to my home at 9 AM this morning. Will check it out tonight. This will be interesting, 'cuz I've never played a bass in my life!!

Can I safely play it through my Delta Blues, as long as I keep the volume down? I figure that big ol' 15" speaker should handle the bass pretty well, as long as I don't crank it. Can anyone confirm?

WackyT
June 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Oh, man, that sux big time! My guess is that "sugar" wasn't your initial choice of words! ;) I'm sure that Music123 will make good on it, but who needs the hassle?

Yup. "Sugar" was not my first word of choice. I know Music123 will come through, but I was looking forward to playing her today. I'm just glad that they still have these lefty acoustics in stock.

marnold
June 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
My Fully bass was delivered to my home at 9 AM this morning. Will check it out tonight. This will be interesting, 'cuz I've never played a bass in my life!!
Never? At all? That surprises me for some reason.

Can I safely play it through my Delta Blues, as long as I keep the volume down? I figure that big ol' 15" speaker should handle the bass pretty well, as long as I don't crank it. Can anyone confirm?
I don't think it will be a problem, from everything I've read. (See this page (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guitar-General-649/bass-guitar-amp.htm) for example.) The EQ on a guitar amp will be tuned more to mids than lows. It would be easier to blow a cone this way, especially if you crank it and you have an open-back combo/enclosure. I'd like local bass expert R.A. to chime in here.

Having said this, I'm not going to try it with my AD30VT. I'll try it with my Blazer because if I blow the cone on that thing, it could be considered urban renewal. I'm sure I'll get a bona fide bass amp at some point . . . just don't tell me wife that right now :)

7lords
June 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I have an old Sony stereo receiver and an old set of HarmonKardon speakers that I have in the basement - I'm using that with the microphone in jack - works great and I don't have to worry about damaging a guitar amp.

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Never? At all? That surprises me for some reason.
Never. At all.

Well, I've held one and thumped the strings a couple of times, sans amp. But never actually played one. What can I say, I've led a sheltered existence! :eek: ;)

Leonidas
June 6th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
This will be interesting, 'cuz I've never played a bass in my life!!

I'm in the same boat man :) I've actually played a bass ONCE for about 5 minutes while holding it for a friend at a jam session. hahaha

But I plan on playing my fullerton through my AD50VT. From what I've read, it should be fine as long as I don't play it real loud, which is fine for me. I just want some sort of amplified sound to mess around. Then maybe I could get a bass amp down the road...

DaveO
June 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Well, I saw the first one of these for sale on craigslist today. "Brand new in box!! Only $100.00"
Watch eBay now. :D
Dave

marnold
June 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Well, I just got mine. The initial report is not good at all. Here's a quick overview:

The finish looks cool until you look at it at an angle. There are all kinds of lines in the finish, as if it were made up of hundreds of bits of wood (wait for it!). I opened up the control cavity which was an adventure. The cover was in there so tight, the paint chipped in several places around it. The good news is that all the wiring looked nice and neat. The control cavity revealed the awful truth: the body is plywood. I didn't think they did that anymore.

The best part about the bass is the neck which, while desperately needing a setup, looks like a good piece of maple with a relatively nice rosewood fretboard. There is some fret sprout.

The pickups are basically uninspiring. It's hard to tell much difference between the P and J pickups alone and together.

It's kind of hard to say that I'm disappointed in a bass I paid $39 for, but even at that, I'm not sure I got my money's worth.

7lords
June 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
What you get must be a crap shoot - i opened mine in the back and the black one I got is solid wood. Maybe the black/silver ones like yours are different.

marnold
June 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
What you get must be a crap shoot - i opened mine in the back and the black one I got is solid wood. Maybe the black/silver ones like yours are different.
Could be. Here is my final review: it's at the local UPS shipper waiting to go back. I think this is a record for the shortest amount of time I've ever owned anything in my life.

I find it almost unbelievable that the list price for that bass is the same as my '51. My '51 stock is better than that bass in absolutely every way imaginable. For the $39 I paid I can shrug and move on. If I had paid the $100 I paid for my '51, I'd feel royally ripped off.

It seems that if I want an inexpensive bass, I'm going to have to get an SX. In another post I mentioned trying an SX bass and a Squier P bass. I found the SX to be much better than the Squier, but even the Squier was much better than this Fullerton.

WackyT
June 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM
My acoustic was dropped off at FedEx this afternoon for it's trip back east. Hopefully I get an unbroken one as replacement.

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Well, I wouldn't know a good bass if snuck up and bit me on the ascending scale, but the Fullerton bass I received yesterday (one of the black ones) certainly seems to be better than Marnold's nightmarish account of the silverburst one he got. The finish is shiny, black, and uniformly smooth, which is about all I expect. I don't know if it's plywood, not having opened the back yet. The body seems pretty light, but then again, it's quite small. The neck is nice and straight with some fret bloom, though less than my ST4 Fat Fully had. The setup didn't seem bad, though I have no experience with basses, as previously stated. Intonation is pretty good, except the G is a little flat at the 12th fret, which I'll fix. None of the strings buzz, though the E seems kind of "rattly" when plucked hard. I plugged it into my Delta Blues for a while and it seems to thump nicely, which is about all I was looking for. The two pickups don't sound dramatically different, though there is definitely some difference in tone. Of the two, I liked the sound of the split pickup (neck) better. Don't know if I'll keep it, but I definitely plan to thump on it a bit for a while and try to unleash my inner Berry Oakley....

"Wake up momma, turn your lamp down low...." :DR

DaveO
June 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM
On truck for delivery today. I'll think happy thoughts. :D
Dave

Big_Rob
June 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Maaaan, I was too late :(

Leonidas
June 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Well I received my bass yesterday. First off, I was a little scared, after reading Marnold's terrible experience... So I opened it up and looked over it real well. Everything seemed to be ok, the neck is as straight as possible as far as I could tell. The body is very small, so the whole thing is extremely light. I tuned it up and plucked some strings for a bit and everything seems to be fine. No fret buzz, nothing really wrong with it. So then I opened up the back panel to check out the wiring and wood. It was indeed actual wood, and all the wiring seemed neat. Only thing I really had to do was tighten the pots because they were a tad loose. In all, I think I definitely got a steal for 40 bucks. And for a guitar player, I can't really complain :)

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I'm thankful that at least some of you got a usable bass. Mine wasn't. With the exception of the fret sprout, the neck did seem to quite nice actually. It's just that the body was a POS. Mine was set up very oddly too. The action was VERY high, but still the saddles were pretty low. The pups were also set high. I had a hard time imagining that someone could have checked the box marked "setup" with a straight face. The intonation was pretty good on all but one string. Even that one wasn't far off.

I can definitely see how it would be neck-heavy. The body on that thing is teeny, especially compared to a massive Fender Jazz. The top horn might be long enough that if you use a strap with it the neck-heaviness wouldn't be killer.

Even with the plywood body, I would have considered keeping it if I hadn't had the problem with the control cavity cover. That was basically the straw the broke the camel's back. Herein lies the problem with getting ultra-cheap gear--no quality control whatsoever. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, sometimes you don't.

In a somewhat related story, I saw a sweet Spector bass on eBay that I immediately starting GASsing for. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now--or for the foreseeable future. The low-end Spectors are relatively affordable. I figure when the time comes for me to actually get a bass, I might as well save up for that and get something I've been lusting after since college.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm thankful that at least some of you got a usable bass. Mine wasn't. With the exception of the fret sprout, the neck did seem to quite nice actually. It's just that the body was a POS. Mine was set up very oddly too. The action was VERY high, but still the saddles were pretty low. The pups were also set high. I had a hard time imagining that someone could have checked the box marked "setup" with a straight face. The intonation was pretty good on all but one string. Even that one wasn't far off.

I can definitely see how it would be neck-heavy. The body on that thing is teeny, especially compared to a massive Fender Jazz. The top horn might be long enough that if you use a strap with it the neck-heaviness wouldn't be killer.

Even with the plywood body, I would have considered keeping it if I hadn't had the problem with the control cavity cover. That was basically the straw the broke the camel's back. Herein lies the problem with getting ultra-cheap gear--no quality control whatsoever. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, sometimes you don't.

In a somewhat related story, I saw a sweet Spector bass on eBay that I immediately starting GASsing for. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now--or for the foreseeable future. The low-end Spectors are relatively affordable. I figure when the time comes for me to actually get a bass, I might as well save up for that and get something I've been lusting after since college.

Sorry that one didn't work out. Hope you have a great Father's day anyhow, even if the gift didn't work out this time.

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Sorry that one didn't work out. Hope you have a great Father's day anyhow, even if the gift didn't work out this time.
Hehe. It'll take a lot more than that to ruin a day for me :) After all, I still had beer! That does bring up another point . . . now I have to come up with another guitar-related Father's Day present! But that's another story for another thread.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Hehe. It'll take a lot more than that to ruin a day for me :) After all, I still had beer! That does bring up another point . . . now I have to come up with another guitar-related Father's Day present! But that's another story for another thread.

Well, maybe a different hobby needs some luvvin. Maybe you need a carbonation/refrigeration outfit for the homebrew to take care of that nasty bottling job! :)

WackyT
June 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yup. 5 gallon microkegs really speed up the "bottling" process. I haven't done microbrewing in ages. Used to love to make a good Porter.

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Other gift idea thread can be found here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=34193). That way, this one can stay on the subject of these basses.

marnold
June 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I wanted to give this thread a bump to see what those who got a Fully bass thought about it.

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Well, I don't know if I have much more to say than I did before. The neck is pretty nice. The body is light and appears to be plywood (looks like layers under the paint in the control cavity). The guitar is a slight bit neck heavy, but not bad. The black finish isn't bad, and the controls feel pretty solid and work smoothly and quietly. I fixed the intonation (which was pretty close to begin with), and raised the E string to get rid of some rattling. Beyond that, it seems to make fairly nice thumpy noises. So it definitely seems worth the $30 I paid! But not having any experience with playing basses--good, bad or otherwise--I'm afraid I can't provide anything approaching definitive feedback!

DaveO
June 14th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I got one for my son (11). He is certainly happy, so I am too. I thumped on it some and did a little adjusting and must admit it is probably worth more that the $40 paid. They were sold out out of the silver/black ones so I picked up one that is a P copy. Not to bad and the price was very right.
Dave

Spudman
June 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM
So now do we all get out our basses and do a track of just bass and bass soloing?

pie_man_25
June 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
/\ which basses, the $30 ones, or our other ones?

but yes, it is now our responsibilty.