PDA

View Full Version : The mad modder strikes again

marnold
June 1st, 2007, 07:53 AM
I officially became a "Squier '51 modder" yesterday. Since I completely disassembled my Model 7 and am in the process of stripping it (see the blog in my sig for the gory details) I decided to put the Model 7's neck pickup in my '51. As I mentioned earlier, I was never pleased with the response on the high E string with the stock neck. Now with this one in, that problem is gone. Unfortunately, the stock neck cover wouldn't work, so now my neck pickup says "Jackson." Oh well. It meshes nicely with the stock bridge. I think it's also a bit "punchier" (for the lack of a better term) than the stock. I'm happy with it. That's a good thing since my Model 7 will be out of commission for some time.

I made one major blunder in this. I didn't realize that the leads for the neck pickup went through the bridge pickup route. I should've taped a length of wire to the old leads, pulled it through, and then used that same wire to pull the new leads through. Normally that wouldn't have been a big deal, except I was trying to do all of this without removing the strings.

oldguy
June 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Cool! :D
Any pics? Or maybe clips?
Glad to hear you're enjoying the pu swap.

M29
June 4th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Hello marnold,

Good to hear some positive progress on your '51. I have the same issue with my neck pickup but have not addressed it yet. It may not be as bad as yours was but it is something I want to address non the less. I get to liking my '51 more and more all the time, what an interesting axe.

Keep on Moddin!

M29

ShortBuSX
June 4th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I made one major blunder in this. I didn't realize that the leads for the neck pickup went through the bridge pickup route. I should've taped a length of wire to the old leads, pulled it through, and then used that same wire to pull the new leads through.

Try a peice of thread and a vacuum.

333maxwell
June 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Try a peice of thread and a vacuum.

What a bloody good idea.. *hits head*

You CAN teach on old dawg new tricks!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=676362

M29
June 12th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Sweet ShortBuSX!!! What an idea:D

M29