PDA

View Full Version : The JB Medley for Duhvoodooman

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Alright here is a quick and dirty sample of my new Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB pickup. Voodoo asked me for clips so I made him one. It's only 1:21 and it's only for demo purposes Jimmy Young bros and Joe!

http://www.box.net/shared/k21p2sy1yv

duhvoodooman
June 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Well, AWRIGHT!!! The JB sounds great! Gimme more of that nasty crunch when you have some time, Tone! :DR :R :DR

WackyT
June 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
That sounds fantastic, T2tB!

Robert
June 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM
That sounds fantastic! What are you playing through on that clip?

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks you guys! I used the POD 2.0 for the guitars and bass and I did the drums from scratch (piecing drum and percussion wav files) except for the loop on Funk 49 (I used a premade drum loop).

The guitar is my Gibson Les Paul Studio with the new Duncan JB pickup in the bridge. For 'Heartbreaker' I used the POD's Bluesbreaker combo and the POD's drive control. For 'Back In Black' I used the Plexi stack model on the rhythms and Angus lick...again using the POD's drive knob for desired overdrive. On 'Funk 49' I stuck with the Plexi on the main riff and used the JCM 800 model on the last rhythm riff at the end. For the bass I used my Squier Jazz Bass and ran it through the clean model on the POD. I used some compression on the bass. I wanted to finish off the medley but I just wanted to post something fast. Thanks for listening!

Spudman
June 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
1st class man. That sounded great.

So are you recording from the L&R outs on the POD into your sound card?

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
1st class man. That sounded great.

So are you recording from the L&R outs on the POD into your sound card?

Thanks Spud. I used the phones out with a stereo adapter and stereo 1/8" mini cable to the soundcard on the PC. I didn't have short enough cables to run from the 1/4" L/R outputs. Besides I would have had to use an adapter to run both those into the computer anyway. I tried using only one side of the mono end of the 1/4" output but it doesn't record centered and it sounds weird. I like using the A.I.R. function on the POD anyway cause it gives the amp models more "life".

Big K
June 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
sounds great....... little more detail on the recording as time allows...

oops to slow on the post....

Spudman
June 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks Spud. I used the phones out with a stereo adapter and stereo 1/8" mini cable to the soundcard on the PC. I didn't have short enough cables to run from the 1/4" L/R outputs. Besides I would have had to use an adapter to run both those into the computer anyway. I tried using only one side of the mono end of the 1/4" output but it doesn't record centered and it sounds weird. I like using the A.I.R. function on the POD anyway cause it gives the amp models more "life".

More and more I'm getting convinced that using the headphone out produces better recordings.

I and some others talked about that on a Vamp forum. Some are not getting the sounds they think they should as compared to what they hear in the phones. Apparently the other outputs of a POD or Vamp alter the sound, or can alter the sound and thus it is different from the headphone output.

Yours sounds really live. I can hear the air and would have bet you used your Marshall to record it. It sounds tops!

I haven't tried recording with my POD yet but when I do I'll try the phones output to do it. Thanks for the info.

Now how about playing on some of our backing tracks?:rolleyes:

oldguy
June 1st, 2007, 10:24 PM
That is absolutely some of the best "tone" I've heard on here. :eek:
I'd swear I was listening to it live. You rock, young man, and I, for one, would like to hear some more. :R :DR

Tone2TheBone
June 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
Spud - I fully intended to use my Marshall to record and I moved it into the livingroom from the master bedroom and mic'd it up but I wanted a certain sound for the 'Heartbreaker' track. The POD was the fastest avenue to get that tone plus I could easily dial in the other tones I was hearing in my head so I went with that...as my youngest daughter played her video game on the tv behind me as loud as she wanted to. :) When I got my used POD unit I tried different ways to connect it to the computer and I just ended up doing it the way I do because it sounded best to me so I guess there is some merit in doing it that way. I lucked out stumbling my way through it!

oldguy - Thank you! Now that I have a box.net account I am going to work on a surf tune. I've already created the drum track for it and will use my new Classic 50s Surf Green Strat for it. It will be a complete song btw...no more 1:20 minute songs. I was going to do that one first before this one but I was challenged to do a JB clip from our Voodoo buddy so I took him up on it. I should be able to work on a version of one of my favorite Ventures tunes this weekend!

Robert
June 2nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
What you recorded sounded pretty damn awesome. We need to hear more of you!

SuperSwede
June 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Jeff Beck who? This is much better. Awesome playing and exceptional sound!

Tone2TheBone
June 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Thank you my friends, you guys are all inspiring and I am truly humbled by your gracious replies. :) !!!

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Man Tone! Just had a chance to listen after being out of town til last night! That rocks! It's getting me ready for my MTB ride today. I sure hope that conference up here works out too.

ted s
June 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Man T2tB ! that was excellent, really enjoyed that ! Tone2theBone is right !

Tone2TheBone
June 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks Sun and Ted! I played the LP all weekend and it sounds freakin' awesome through my Marshall at "house" levels! (4 times louder than bedroom levels) I had so much fun playing great Les Paul tunes.

Lev
June 5th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Wow that tone rocks!! I love the Back in Black riff - really nailed the tone there.

Tone2TheBone
June 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Hey thanks Lev!

Jamie O
June 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
The clip sounds really cool!!!
I bought the JB in a set with the Jazz Neck pickup...h-2n or something like that...from Music123. Well, one of them came with the little dogear that screw the pickup to the ring bent, right?( am I being to technical?). So, of course, I tried to straighten it and it broke off.I called Music123 and they said they'd refund for me but not replace cuz they were out of the set. Well I didna wanna do that! I wanted my pickups! So I called Duncan and they replaced it for me no problem and were really nice. Got them in my Washburn HB-30 and I love em! I guess the point of this is Duncan is cool.

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM
The clip sounds really cool!!!
I bought the JB in a set with the Jazz Neck pickup...h-2n or something like that...from Music123. Well, one of them came with the little dogear that screw the pickup to the ring bent, right?( am I being to technical?). So, of course, I tried to straighten it and it broke off.I called Music123 and they said they'd refund for me but not replace cuz they were out of the set. Well I didna wanna do that! I wanted my pickups! So I called Duncan and they replaced it for me no problem and were really nice. Got them in my Washburn HB-30 and I love em! I guess the point of this is Duncan is cool.

Thank you Jamie O. I've never had to return anything to Seymour Duncan but I do know they have a fantastic customer service reputation. If you buy a pickup and don't like it all you do is call their 1-800 number or something and they'll swap you out. Very cool that you got yours replaced!