PDA

View Full Version : Lesson - Dominant 7 chords

Robert
June 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Here's a short lesson in Dominant 7 chord inversions (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-54.php) in the key of E. Read the description under the video for more explanation. These chords are some I often use, that's why I showed them. There are many more ways to play chords from the E7 family! I just showed some I like.

This time I tried showing the tab for each chord in the video. How well do you think this works?

Thanks
Robert

Leonidas
June 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
very cool! I think the tab really helps to transition from watching to actually playing it.

Thanks, definitely will use these.

Justaguyin_nc
June 4th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I liked the addition.. but for some reason I thought the numbers listed backwards while watching?? once I figured it out..it was fine.. just me maybe..

Tone2TheBone
June 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Rob yeah I agree the tab view is cool.

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Really cool Robert! My knowledge of any theory is yet weak, so I will want to spend some time with this one to understand the whole inversion concept. Thanks!

marnold
June 5th, 2007, 08:22 AM
The one where you barre the top four strings at the ninth fret and then add the tenth fret on the high E string used to throw me for a loop. I was listening to one of my favorite blues songs: Howlin' Wolf's "Movin'". The main riff has what I knew was a 7th chord, but I went through all the inversions I knew and none of them sounded right. I fired up PChord on my PDA and scrolled through all the inversions it calculated. I finally came across that one and my search was complete. I normally will use ChordFind.com for these sorts of things, but that was not one of the inversions it offered.

Jimi75
June 6th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Hello Robert,

Again this is a very useful and great lesson! I think that this quite clearly shows how much knowledge players like SRV had of such inversions. Just listen to Lovestruck Baby (Solo) or even Tightrope where two of your shown inversions play a main role. The tab besides the video is a good idea and helps a lot to be able to play along almost immediately.

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I like the tab overaly a lot. Maybe you could zoom in on the fingering a little closer, to make it easier to see the corresponding positioning of the hand?

Robert
June 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM
There is a full screen mode feature on the video player. I can't zoom now after the fact... :) but I guess I could have recorded more close up the first time. I thought it may not be needed because of the tab, but that's why I ask for feedback to figure out what's the best way to do these things! Thanks!