PDA

View Full Version : I may have gotten myself into something

marnold
June 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Most of you probably know/remember that I am a clergyman. Well, it just so happens that several of my brother pastors in the area got together to play some bluegrass tunes. Two of them play acoustics, one plays mandolin. In a former life I played bass in a bluegrass band. We had a conference yesterday afternoon and I mentioned to them that I was getting a bass again. It sounds like I'll be playing with them--contingent on my new Fully getting here and not sucking. It'd be just for fun, to amuse ourselves and maybe play at things like a pastors' conference when we're sitting around and having beers in the evening.

I'd rather be playing rock or blues guitar, but bluegrass bass can fill in. It'll at least be nice to put what I've learned over the years to use instead of just noodling around at home. I warned them that I might throw in a metal fill from time to time :)

Robert
June 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM
That's great Marnold - playing with people is fun and a great way to improve one's playing!

Brian Krashpad
June 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Outstanding! Have fun!

SuperSwede
June 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Pastors drinking beer eh? I thought that most pastors did not drink beer. But that may be only here.

marnold
June 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Pastors drinking beer eh? I thought that most pastors did not drink beer. But that may be only here.
We're Lutherans of mostly German descent. You do the math :) While there is substantial Scriptural admonition to avoid the abuse of alcohol, nothing can be found to forbid its proper use.

That is a common misunderstanding though. Most people are floored to find out that I'm a homebrewer too :)

SuperSwede
June 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
According to the bible, Jesus was a homebrewer too. He turned water into wine.

WackyT
June 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Lutherans ROCK! (I'm a Lutheran also, if you can't tell?)

Have you ever bumped into my hometown pastor, Ed Voosen, in your travels Marnold? He also plays guitar.

Tone2TheBone
June 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Catholics like myself are known to booze it up as well. *clink*

WackyT
June 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
That's true, T2tB. Had some friends that worked in the chapel at Holloman AFB, and we hung out with a young Catholic priest sometimes. He liked his wine.

pie_man_25
June 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
well, congratulations! Maybe us atheists should try having some kinda church or something:D , because I only know one other atheist, the rest are pretty much roman catholics.

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Congrats! I sure enjoy my playing with others. I think it really helps to bring up my game. Analogy: I like running and biking on my own fine, but going out with others is more fun, and can push me to do more. That is great you found a hook up! BTW, though I haven't made much since taking up guitar, I like to homebrew too. Can't underestimate the healthful qualities of good old Vit. B12! Yay for yeast!

Leonidas
June 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a cool opportunity! I'm anxiously awaiting my bass also (if they ever ship it).. I've only ever played bass once before, and i was just messing around with a friend's. I figured at 40 bucks, its a good time to start a little, heh

Also, I am roman catholic, and i went to catholic school through high school.. The teaching was never to forbid alcohol, just not abuse it.

Anyway, rock on! :DR

r_a_smith3530
June 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Catholics like myself are known to booze it up as well. *clink*

Us Irish Catholics are actually *well* known for it! If it weren't for Irish Catholics, Guiness would probably have never been heard of outside the Emerald Isle.

:D :D :D

Spudman
June 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
, nothing can be found to forbid its proper use.

:)

Amen!

Best wishes with the bass gig. Try some Iron Maiden style bass and get the congregation banging their heads.:DR It's really quite like bluegrass...right?