PDA

View Full Version : Where to Place the Microphone ?

Tim
January 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM
I never placed a microphone in front of my amp before and need some advice. From what I have read being dead center gives you the best bright sound. I also understand as you move further way from center with the microphone the more warmer the sound.

Can anybody verify this microphone placement? Also what is a good distance between the microphone and the amplifier speaker?

Thanks

Tone2TheBone
January 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Tim,

I've always placed the mic near the edge of the speaker pointed towards the center. It picks up the outside low end and the crispness from the center cone. Others might have interesting setups too.

Spudman
January 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Tim
If you're micing the amp for live reinforcement you don't have to be too picky. If you are doing it to record and want the tone you hear in your head then put on your headphones, strum the guitar and move the mic around. Just listen to the differences in sounds. Off axis, straight on, against the grill cloth, 1 foot away, 3 feet away. They are all good for something so there isn't a real perfect way to do it (for recording). On the other hand for live and some of the best studio tracks that have been recorded a Sure Sm57 was placed lightly against the grill cloth, straight on and half way between the center and the edge of the speaker. Similar to what Tone says.

Good luck.

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I've played live where, because of an absence of funds for a stand, we just looped the mic cord through the handle of the amp and let it dangle in front of the speaker. It works fine in a pinch.

For recording, we did a tape once where we experimented by placing a hollow cardboard tube around the mic, and placed the mic about a foot away from the bottom left speaker on my Marshall cab. Instant compressor! It worked great, and gave the tone a midrangey sound. Also, recording with an "ambient" mic several feet away (or, in an upper corner of the room) plus a regular mic in front of the speaker can give you some flexibility when mixing.