PDA

View Full Version : Dirt pedal round-up

Robert
June 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Check out my little dirt pedal demo - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-42.php

Which do you like best?

Spudman
June 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
What was that lick at 1:40? Wow! Holy Swiss cheese.

For the articulation I'll say the ZYS. For compression and sustain I'll say Das Fuzz. I like the fact that the top end isn't so bright with the ZYS.

SuperSwede
June 5th, 2007, 02:17 AM
The only answer that I can think of: I like them all, they all have a personal sound and its really hard to say that any of them are better than the other. I do however have a certain weakness for the type of sound that Das Fuzz generates. But then again, that Zonker makes a quality drive that "normal production" pedals have a real hard time to compete with. The Maxon probably has the most generic drive pedal sound. But again, all of them sounds brilliant and its hard to say which one is better. I do suspect, however, that the "FingersĀ© - By Renman" is the most important factor behind those great sounds :)

duhvoodooman
June 5th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I do suspect, however, that the "FingersĀ© - By Renman" is the most important factor behind those great sounds :)
Are you telling me that's the reason my own ZYS never seems to sound this good? Ya mean it's not better resistors, capacitors and diodes in Robert's pedal?? :eek: ;)

Seriously, they all sounded very good, I thought. The Das Fuzz pedal seems to straddle the line between OD and outright distortion very successfully. And that Maxon pedal does a real nice bluesy overdrive with a little darkening of the tone. What stood out about the ZYS was the point I've seen made by several of you who own one--its transparency. Man, that Player's Strat tone just jumped out of it! I just wish I could make mine sound as good as Robert does!! Nice job there, dude! :DR

So I guess I won't pick a favorite, 'cuz I might be, er, slightly prejudiced.... ;)

Robert
June 5th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys! Well, I like them all too, but I have to say the ZYS is the most fun one, since it has so many options. I must say it was worth every penny. Thanks for making such a great pedal, DVM!

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2007, 07:17 AM
What was that lick at 1:40? Wow! Holy Swiss cheese.

For the articulation I'll say the ZYS. For compression and sustain I'll say Das Fuzz. I like the fact that the top end isn't so bright with the ZYS.

Maybe it should be holy Swedish Fuzz! :DR

My opinion is like SuperSwede's. All great sounds. Since the Maxon and the ZYS are similar, the Screamer wins between the two. Because I take it that the ZYS can make the Maxon sound if you set it up to do so and do its own thing. But as set up here, they are different enough to hold on to both since you have them and not have to switch stuff on the Screamer.

If you have a chance, it might be fun to throw the old Bad Monkey in for comparison. Thanks for the demos!

Tone2TheBone
June 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Dang good playing Rob.

I liked all of them. They each have their own distinct sound. The Das Fuzz is really neat sounding and it sounds like one of the best fuzzes out there with your playing. Very thick and rich fuzz tone. The Maxon has a solid tone and good balance overall. It sounds big. Nice and gritty the way I like. The Zonkin' really nails that Fendery type OD and I think it is because it's transparent as Voodoo said and lets the guitar sound come through. Since the Zonkin' is a souped up Tube Screamer it's gonna be more midrangy than the other pedals. It lets the string pings come through naturally though and that's the Strat sound!

Leonidas
June 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I agree that they each have their own sound. All sound great! That fuzz pedal has an awesome thick fuzzy sound, the Maxon has a really cool dark sound, and the ZYS sounds somewhere between the two, with more punch. Its a tough, tough choice really. But man that Strat sound ur getting is killer with all 3, thats for sure.