PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Strat or LP kind 'a guy?

Jimi75
June 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Okay friends, Sunnvalleylaw inspired my to post this thread....

Honestly, are you more of a Strat player or a Les Paul player. Everybody knows that this is kind of a religious topic in the musical scene, Clapton or Page, Slash or Hendrix, we could go on and on.

Here's my stand:
I am a Strat guy! I also love my Les Paul, but I feel the most comfortable with my Strat. If had to chose on instrument for the rest of my life, the Strat would be the guitar I would pick and I do not have to think twice. The sound of the neck pu gives me still goosebumps, the versatility of the Strat is unbeatable (subjectively spoken). The body shape is so comfortable, and I think that when learning new stuff and licks I can better translate them to the Strat. I like the creamy HB sound of the Paula, but my Strat gives me a more tidy distortion so I can connect more with what I play what results in a more original and straightforward way of playing. It's easy....if I close my eyes and think of me playing guitar, I see myself with a Strat in 99 of 100 times. It's a friendly "open minded" guitar that easily get along with every kind of amp. Sparkle....sparkle.....

By the way, one thing that interests me much:

Do you play a)with the guitar volume on 10 always and rather change channels on your amp to get another sound, or do you b) play with the guitar volume at differnet positions and tap the full potential of what the Strat/Paul can deliver?

I am definitely an alternative "b" guy.

:confused:

Big_Rob
June 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Maaaaan, whachu trian to do? Make me think??? :D:DR:D

Although Ive got my amp/bad monkey/reverb combo set up right now so both my Strat and my Ibanez AS73 semi hollow are sounding equally sweet.

The Strat feels better in the hand, but the Ibanez has that oh so good FAT humbucker sound.

Now with that said, the new pups in my Strat have put a fresh breath of fire into my Strats tone.

So Im in a major quandry right now.

And Im a "B" guy but do "A" when need be

t_ross33
June 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I think I'm neither - I'm a tele-guy ;) At least this far into my guitar experience, so I have a few years to explore. I just love the rock & roll and/or country versatillity of the instrument.

I've played LP's a bit and like the power of their tone. My Strat experience is very limited and to me they feel overly comfortable - like something this good is too much guitar for my meager skills :D

I guess I'll just have to buy one now and figure this thing out :DR

Trev

Robert
June 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Guess what I am!? (Not many Les Paul's in my house... :D )

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I'm both actually. And throw in a Tele kinda guy too.

Lev
June 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Do you play a)with the guitar volume on 10 always and rather change channels on your amp to get another sound, or do you b) play with the guitar volume at differnet positions and tap the full potential of what the Strat/Paul can deliver?

I am definitely an alternative "b" guy.

:confused:

Interesting, on my starts (single coil settings) I tend to use the volume control alot for different sounds. However on my PRS and also with my HSS strat on the humbucker I usually just crank the volume to 10. Maybe it's just the guitars I've played but I find HB's work best with guitar volume at 10 whereas single colils tend to be a bit more dynamic in the that way.

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Oops forgot to comment on the other question. I'm type b). I love the Strat volume knob on around 7 for most things. Not too gainy, not too compressed. Bell tones come out nicely there. On my Les Paul I'm anywhere from 1 to 10 depending on what I'm playing also. The Gibson volume pots are linear so when you turn down the volume it doesn't really go down like you'd expect. So even at 2 or 3 it's sounding like 7 or 8. Full on 10 though on the Gibson for soloing and general 80s shred when I'm in the mood for that.

Spudman
June 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Yes. I'm a Strat and a LP guy and I use my volumes. My preference usually depends on which has fresher strings.

jpfeifer
June 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I guess if I had to pick between the two for an all around guitar, I'd pick the Strat. You just can't Strats for versatility and also comfort. You can cover almost any style of music with a Strat, but you can't really say the same about a Les Paul.

However, I've always wanted to have a good Les Paul also. I don't currently own one but would like to have one, or a 335. I actually think that 335's are a little more versatile than Les Pauls though, so I'd probably go for one of those.

-- Jim

WackyT
June 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Guess I'm a Strat guy, seeing that's all I have. I'm thinking my next electric is going to be a Tele.

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
As the question is stated, I guess I wouldn't call myself a Strat or LP or any other kind of guitar "guy". I love my Dot and my Tele, too, because they do different things than the Strat and the LP. Heck, I even love my $30 Fat Fully for some things! And I hope to be loving some P90 guitar later this year!

Now if the question was stated a bit differently, like "If you could only have one of your guitars on a desert island (which happens to have electrical power and a warehouse full of vintage amps), which one would it be?", then I'd have to go with my Strat. Reasons:

Tonal flexibility, esp. with a couple of p'up wiring mods
My first electric was a Strat, so they hold a special place in my heart
My Strat Plus is my best guitar (though my Epi Elitist LP Std. is a close 2nd)
If it was good enough for SRV.... :DR
I tend to keep the volume dimed on my guitars most of the time, and control tone through the amp and (when used) pedal settings. Then again, I play in a fairly small room and can literally just reach over to the amp controls. Guess I've been spoiled by the flexibility of my Vox AD30VT; if I want "clean", I just spin the amp model dial over to "Boutique Clean" or "Black 2x12"!

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for starting it off Jimi75. I have been playing guitar seriously for only a year, and have owned an electric only since October 06, so it is probably premature to say.

However, I think I am a strat guy for if I could only have one. How I got there was when I was shopping originally for a guitar, I started thinking I wanted a Fat Strat and was looking at the Fender with the special switch. I was influenced in that frankly by Billy Joe Armstrong's Fernandes Fat Strat. Because I like punk and a lot of other stuff, I thought if Greenday could punk out on a strat, plus I could do other types of stuff, that was it.

Then, I decided I wanted to go purist on the strat and go SSS config. I started playing guitars and have mine as a result.

In looking for another electric, I have been thinking I want something that sounds different than a strat, and have been leaning to the LP world. I recall Tone extolling the virtues of having access to one of each. But, when I played a couple at Spud's, it was clear I would want a thinner profile neck version. I don't yet get the shorter scale thing, and the modern C strat necks, ( and some of the shredder ibanez necks) seem right to me. So, I want to add a humbucking guitar, probably an LP, but a strat is my first love, and I am a loyal guy. I would welcome comments on how I am approaching this.

Oh, also I am a guitar volume knob guy. Largely due to learning from the great people here, especially in this area, Spud and Tone. Thanks guys. :) :D :DR

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
It would depend on the day of the week some times got to have that sweet glassy strat sound and other if its not dual coil it just don't get it

Must be my multiple personalities com min out :):):)

pie_man_25
June 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM
since I've only been playing cuitar for a year, and only own a tele copy, I don't know much about it, but I'd probably go for the strat, because I just like thelook feel, and versatility.

Iago
June 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I was going to say "I'm a tele kind of guy" but somebody used that line before me hehe. I think I should say I'm a Fender guy but I'm looking for a Les Paul for "sonic variety"

Big K
June 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Strat-Tele anything with a decent single coil is my preference with the volume 8-10 most of the time...I like those dang Buckers also...

R_of_G
June 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM
i have a gibson es-135 and a squier strat, and i love the sound of each of them. i use them for completely different things, and they are usually tuned differently as a result, but each serves it's purpose and i wouldn't replace either of them. still looking for that in an acoustic.

marnold
June 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
It's hard to say. I suppose I'm a super-Strat kind of guy which would make it a kung-fu combination.

Brian Krashpad
June 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Of the two choices, definitely LP over Strat. For single coil sounds I like Teles and other options (I have a Gretsch with DeArmond 2000's, 3 P-90 guitars, a funky Bronwsville semi-hollow with three toastertop sinlges, and a Ric with High-Gains).

That being said, I do own a Peavey USA Predator Strat, so I have a twang bar and quack sounds available.

As for the second question, though volume and tone are most often at ten, I do use both tone and volume pots to color sound, as well as the pickup selector. I could never figure out guys with two-pickup guitars who never come off the bridge pup.

Ro3b
June 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I used to be a strat guy. Then I was an acoustic guy. Now my most-often-played guitar is a modded Squier strat with one humbucker. I think I'd come down more on the LP side of the fence, although I've started gassing for a tele lately.

I work my knob a lot. Um, my volume knob, I mean.

elavd
June 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
My answer is clearly shown on this picture of my collection:

http://www.noiz.gr/modules/4nAlbum/album/album1/collection-2.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
June 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm think that I'm a semihollow or hollow kind'a guy. But I want a filtertron or a P90 in there.

So put me down for strat, but send me a G&L USA ASAT with P90s :D

Actually, I'll probably avoid strats, LP, & teles for as long as I can.

I'm not too inclined to have what everyone else has.

I'll probably change my mind tomorrow. :D

Spudman
June 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm think that I'm a semihollow or hollow kind'a guy. But I want a filtertron or a P90 in there.

So put me down for strat, but send me a G&L USA ASAT with P90s :D

Actually, I'll probably avoid strats, LP, & teles for as long as I can.

I'm not too inclined to have what everyone else has.

I'll probably change my mind tomorrow. :D

Are you sure about that?:rolleyes:

tot_Ou_tard
June 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Are you sure about that?:rolleyes:

I'm not too sure about anything. :D

Send me your strats & LPs & I'm sure I'll become more certain. ;)

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Nice looking rack of guitars there elavd! It would be fun to come to your house and see just how different those strats sound from one another, and then play around with the tele and the '51! Then, go back to the strats. I can just feel myself goofing around with "Wish you were here" on your black one.

Leonidas
June 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM
...Just chiming in...

If I had to choose I would definitely say I am a LP guy. But I haven't played many strats. When I got into electric guitar, I gravitated immediately toward the LP, being a huge allman brothers fan. Always loved that heavier, fatter blues sound that duane, dickey, and haynes get. Although lately I've been drooling over a good strat. Especially since seeing/hearing robert's deluxe players model.

As for knobs, I am constantly turnin them to get the sounds I want. And I almost always use the volume to clean up my sound and get a clean tone, then crank it up to get a full drive. :)

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Yep! I see that '51 has a humbucker in it, so you must be an LP guy! :p ;)

Yes, nice line up indeed! A little slice of single-coil heaven there!

To respond to Leonidas: IMO, any player seriously interested in classic rock guitars should own a Strat and an LP. Consider the proportion of rock guitar classics that have been performed on one or the other of those venerable tone machines!

elavd
June 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I can just feel myself goofing around with "Wish you were here" on your black one.
Thanks sunvalleylaw ;)

My black strat has been modded since then, and now looks closer to the Gilmour's blackie strat. Take a look:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/DSC00241.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/P1010005.jpg

Yep! I see that '51 has a humbucker in it, so you must be an LP guy!
I've also modded my Squier 51 (because I didn't like the humbucker at all) and put a Dream 90 on it...

Now, it looks like that: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/squier_51/P1010038.jpg

(I have a thread here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2929), with clips, photos etc... )

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Sweet! The mods on both look great! I'll have to go listen to how that Dream 90 sounds.

Leonidas
June 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Dang, them mods look good. I think thats the coolest '51 I've seen!

elavd
June 10th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Thanks Leonidas... ;)

tot_Ou_tard
June 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM
It sure is. Have you seen these?

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2070

Plank_Spanker
June 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I own two LP's and three Strats, so it's safe to say that I love 'em both. :D

pes_laul
June 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I personaly a les paul guy but then again i own a epiphone because i cant afford a gibson at the time (im 13)

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Well, you'll find plenty of us here who own Epiphones, not so much because we can't afford a Gibson but because we're unwilling to pay the Gibson price when the Epi's are so darned good and so much cheaper!

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Well, you'll find plenty of us here who own Epiphones, not so much because we can't afford a Gibson but because we're unwilling to pay the Gibson price when the Epi's are so darned good and so much cheaper!

And this is one of the few boards on the web open minded enough to admit that. Some of the newer Epi's I've played have been amazing - twice so when you factor in the price.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I wanted to return to this discussion and expand it a little. I am curious about what fretters think the two guitars (and teles, etc. for that matter) do or have inherently that make them their favorite.

I remember Tone saying somewhere that having a Strat complements having an LP and helps to make one a better player. Not owning an LP, I just don't know yet.

A guy I have watched and played with that favors a shechter LP type definately was not a single coil guy, but when he tried my guitar, he got into it, and mentioned it made him approach his playing differently. I didn't have the chance to ask him why and haven't had the chance to see him since.

I would suspect it would have something to do with action and fretboard radius and scale, but I don't know how those interplay, or what the practical effect is of a difference in any one of those three areas.

Comments on the above? Also, now that you have declared your allegience, what is it about your axe that shapes how you approach playing?

To me the answer is not one axe is somehow "better", but that they have attributes and characteristics that draw out different things. I would like to understand that better.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I would like to expand on your expansion Steve. Super Swede and I were discussing the virtues of the Telecaster just this morning. As far as comparing a Les Paul to a Fender guitar Swede and I agreed that it's the Tele that comes close as far as being heavy, solid and loud. Almost comparable to a Les Paul in it's own unique way...relatively speaking...yet having the distinct Fender sound. It's the best of both worlds IMO and so maybe Pagey and Jeff were really onto something back then.

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I wanted to return to this discussion and expand it a little. I am curious about what fretters think the two guitars (and teles, etc. for that matter) do or have inherently that make them their favorite.

I remember Tone saying somewhere that having a Strat complements having an LP and helps to make one a better player. Not owning an LP, I just don't know yet.
A guy I have watched and played with that favors a shechter LP type definately was not a single coil guy, but when he tried my guitar, he got into it, and mentioned it made him approach his playing differently.

I would suspect it would have something to do with action and fretboard radius and scale, but I don't know how those interplay, or what the practical effect is of a difference in any one of those three areas.

Comments on the above? Also, now that you have declared your allegience, what is it about your axe that shapes how you approach playing?

To me the answer is not one axe is somehow "better", but that they have attributes and characteristics that draw out different things. I would like to understand that better.

I think it all really depends on your style of playing, what you're playing, and the sound that you seek. Strats, Teles, LP's - they're all just colors on the pallette, and each does it's own very distinctive thing. If I need a thick, hard driven, in your face overdriven sound, I reach for the LP. If I need some split coil "glass", I have a Strat. I believe that a player's first few guitars really shape his approach. I grew up playing Gibsons through Marshalls, so I can admit that they are my personal favorites. I'll bet that the guys playing Strats as a first or two guitar will always have an affinity for Strats. But that doesn't mean that you don't grow and seek new sonic ground.

Action, fretboard radius, and scale are non-factors to me personally. Actions are adjustable. The scale change between 24 3/4" and 25 1/2" doesn't bother me. Fretboard radius doesn't bother me. I'm looking for the sound.

Colors on the pallette...................:D

Spudman
June 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I agree to some extent herr Plankster.

The differences in scale lengths does change how one (me) plays each instrument. Because of the feel, tension and pickup response I never play a Fender the same as a Les Paul. I just can't. The response and voice is so different between the two that it just doesn't allow me to treat them the same.

I can do some of the same licks on each, but it always comes out differently than it would on the other one. There is a tactile difference. One that my hands and brain cannot blend into saying that the difference doesn't matter.

I do agree that I too look for "the sound" when toggling between the two. They have their own unique voices and that is my primary reason for playing one or the other.

I have also noticed that if I put down the Strat and stick with the LP for several months my style of playing does change. I think of that as a good thing.

t_ross33
June 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
+1 on the colors of the palette, PS. I've finally been able to demonstrate to Mrs. T that I needed a Tele style AND a 335 style guitar because they are each unique and serve specific tonal purposes. Until I sat down and showed her, a guitar was just a block of wood with strings.

For me, neck width, radius, and to a lesser degree, scale to come into play. I just play better (or more instinctively) on guitars that fit me comfortably. My Tele and my Washburn have very different neck profiles and I really have to concentrate when playing on the thicker/heavier Washburn neck. As mentioned before, I love the neck on my Squier Tele. From the moment I picked it up it just seemed to fit my hand perfectly.

That said, each is a tool for achieving (or attempting to achieve in my case ;) ) a specific sound/tone.

Variax, Fender VG etc. aside (haven't played them, so I can't really comment), there isn't really one guitar that suits ALL styles IMHO, although there are certainly makes and models that are more versitile and cover greater range sonically.

Half the fun is trying out new and different gear and exploring your own idea of what sounds good, feels good, and heck... looks good!

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I agree to some extent herr Plankster.

The differences in scale lengths does change how one (me) plays each instrument. Because of the feel, tension and pickup response I never play a Fender the same as a Les Paul. I just can't. The response and voice is so different between the two that it just doesn't allow me to treat them the same.

I can do some of the same licks on each, but it always comes out differently than it would on the other one. There is a tactile difference. One that my hands and brain cannot blend into saying that the difference doesn't matter.

I do agree that I too look for "the sound" when toggling between the two. They have their own unique voices and that is my primary reason for playing one or the other.

I have also noticed that if I put down the Strat and stick with the LP for several months my style of playing does change. I think of that as a good thing.

Oops................................

Never meant to imply that the two don't require different approaches to playing - they certainly do. I just switch back and forth between the two so often that I don't even think about it anymore. The shorter scale Gibson necks require a bit of precision, especially on bends. The Strat just says "abuse me". :D You might work a little harder on a Strat, but it's more forgiving and you can just wring notes out of one.

Spudman
June 14th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Oops................................

The Strat just says "abuse me". :D You might work a little harder on a Strat, but it's more forgiving and you can just wring notes out of one.

and that is exactly why I play one. I love that physical challenge. However, now it has gotten similar to my cycling endeavors. Where I used to be a champion mountain bike racer I now prefer to ride my road bike more. Where I used to love to wrangle a Strat I now love the ease of playability of the Les Paul. It's easier.

Cripes! I just read that and it sounds like I'm getting old. Waaaaaaaa:(

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I think I get the idea. Ok, I'll continue to be a Strat wrangler 'til I add a LP to develop a finer precision and touch, and to add a color to my palette. Based on what I have picked up so far in the way of LPs, I think I will look for a narrower neck one though.

Jimi75
June 15th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I have also noticed that if I put down the Strat and stick with the LP for several months my style of playing does change. I think of that as a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Yep! Same here for me. The LP makes me play in a different way. Sometimes when I feel that I don't move on on the Strat, I grab the LP for a couple of weeks and discover new ground - same is valid vice versa.

I do not pick up the LP just because I need a fat humbucker sound for a song or I have any kind of yound in my mind. I can get creamy lead with my Strat, too.

The reason why I play and like my Strat more is, that I prefer the clarity if the single notes, I am a worker on the guitar and working out those woody licks and diving with my fingers deep into the fretboard is what gives me the best shape and colour of my personal tone.:confused: