PDA

View Full Version : How do you mount Humbuckers with out Rings

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I just ordered a EBMM Body and its set up to mount the Pickups with out Rings

Any body know you do that ? I know it sounds dumb but every other guitar I have had either had a pick guard or pickup rings to attach the pickups

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
You can screw the pup into the pickup body cavity with wood screws like you do a Tele pickup. Which guitar is the humbucker going in?

duhvoodooman
June 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
You can screw the pup into the pickup body cavity with wood screws like you do a Tele pickup. Which guitar is the humbucker going in?
Yeah, but you're going to need to figure out a way to make them height-adjustable, because the screw tabs on a 'bucker are mounted way down at the bottom, rather than up high like a Strat or tele p'up. With those, you just need to have a spring or rubber tubing compressible spacer. With a humbucker, when you adjust the height, you're actually moving it relative to the mounting ring, not the guitar body per se.

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, but you're going to need to figure out a way to make them height-adjustable, because the screw tabs on a 'bucker are mounted way down at the bottom, rather than up high like a Strat or tele p'up. With those, you just need to have a spring or rubber tubing compressible spacer. With a humbucker, when you adjust the height, you're actually moving it relative to the mounting ring, not the guitar body per se.

I know but I was assuming that the pickup would be close enough to the strings as an approximation when screwed into the body. I'm not familiar with an EBMM body what is that? The only humbuckers I've seen without rings are like on some SGs.

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Its an Axis body some body suggested rubber pads. Sound like it would be pretty solid.

Its not an actual Ernie Ball but thats besides the point

It is a really nice highly figured maple top got the neck corresponding neck but its not finished so I have to figure how to handle that . You know weather to leave it un-finished or lacquer or maybe some kind of tung oil.

Any body lacquer a fret board? I guess you would have to remove the lacquer from the frets every time you put a coat on ?

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/snarph/EBMM.jpg

It looks like this

Tone2TheBone
June 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I can't see the photo from the link you pasted because of our filter at work.

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM
heres the neck

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/snarph/EBMMNeck.jpg

Spudman
June 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Snarph
I have a few guitars like that one.

Generally there is a dense foam rubber pad that lightly glues on to the back of the pickup. That keeps the pickup from moving in the cavity. The screws are small diameter wood screws.

The way Voodoo suggests works too. Rubber tubing between the pickup mounting screw hole (on the dog ear) and the base of the cavity works with the small diameter wood screws going though it. The only problem with doing just that is that the pickups can still rattle around the cavity.

Best case would be to use either springs or rubber tubing around the screws with a bit of foam on the back of the pickup. The denser the foam the more likely you'll get some vibration transfer into the pickup which should enhance the sound.

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Spudman

how do you have you electronics set up straight to the out put or what?

I'm thinking of doing some thing like voodoomans full boat mod

Spudman
June 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Spudman

how do you have you electronics set up straight to the out put or what?

I'm thinking of doing some thing like voodoomans full boat mod

Everything goes to a pickup selector and volume and tone knobs on mine.

In your case you just have a volume to deal with and a switch. By all means coil tap with a push/pull pot and you'll have a lot more options with what should be a very nice guitar.

snarph
June 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Everything goes to a pickup selector and volume and tone knobs on mine.

In your case you just have a volume to deal with and a switch. By all means coil tap with a push/pull pot and you'll have a lot more options with what should be a very nice guitar.

Hey Spudman Its got a fairly large control cavity, It will have at least one more pot maybe two any way thanks for the input

Its probably time to thin down the heard but right now got the modding bug

Tone2TheBone
June 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Snarph
I have a few guitars like that one.

Generally there is a dense foam rubber pad that lightly glues on to the back of the pickup. That keeps the pickup from moving in the cavity. The screws are small diameter wood screws.....

That's the way the pups were placed on my old Ibanez bass I forgot about that foam backing. They did screw directly into the body too.

snarph
June 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Hey thanks tone2thebone I've been surfing the net like crazy looking at every thing I can find out about this type of guitar .

Figuring the parts I'm going to need how far I can push the least amount of hardware

If I want classic tone a little shred or both so far I think I'll stay passive as far as the electronics just taps or series / parallel .

either two pots with push / push or push / pulls

could do mini toggles but fewer holes seems to appeal tome more at the moment

Any of you out there finish a maple on maple neck ?

any and all comment suggestions welcom

snarph
June 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Have any of you seen one of these?
Being the trem cavity is set up for a vintage trem this seems like it would be a good choice

http://cgi.ebay.com/TREM-KING-REVOLUTIONARY-NEW-TREM-BRIDGE-TK-1-CHROME_W0QQitemZ220117646760QQihZ012QQcategoryZ414 07QQcmdZViewItem

Spudman
June 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
That looks like a cool bridge. Seems worth checking in to.

7lords
June 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Did you get the body and neck from GuitarFetish? The pictures look like the ones they always have in the neck and body factory closeout section. Nice looking pieces - you should be real happy with them.

snarph
June 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Did you get the body and neck from GuitarFetish? The pictures look like the ones they always have in the neck and body factory closeout section. Nice looking pieces - you should be real happy with them.

Yea been watching since their first notice couldn't take it any more

snarph
June 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
That looks like a cool bridge. Seems worth checking in to.
It seems to remind me of a kahler Palm pedal not sure about it yet but you never know I have currently four classic tremolo guitars that I don't use the tremolos on them