PDA

View Full Version : Question about ZYS for DVM...

als_lespaul
June 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Duhvoodooman,

I was just wondering....How similar is your Zonkin' Yellow Screamer to a TS-9dx? I only ask because the TS-9dx also has a 4-way rotary switch. Any idea?

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
There's a good write-up on the TS-9dx HERE (http://www.analogman.com/ts9dx.htm). While it offers four different modes that change bass response and clipping modes, the changes are tied together, i.e. you can't change these characteristics independently. You have four different modes, period. That's certainly a significant improvement over the base TS-9's single mode. Still....

Contrast that with the ZYS, where you have two selectable gain ranges, three bass rolloff settings, and three clipping modes for 2x3x3=18 different combinations! And that doesn't even consider the ZYS's IC socket with four supplied opamps that can be swapped in and out to your liking. So when you look at their overall capabilities, I think the much greater flexibility of the ZYS speaks for itself.

als_lespaul
June 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Wow! That's alot of features. I feel some GAS coming on!

duhvoodooman
June 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Well, not to exacerbate your GAS pains, but I'm currently getting an order of parts together for my next batch of pedals; will probably go out this weekend or early next week. So if you're seriously considering a ZYS and can swing it now ($199 + shipping), this would be the time to act. Not trying to apply pressure, it's just that I don't expect to be making another "production run" until sometime in the fall, at the earliest. Payment terms are 50% of the pedal price upfront, and the remaining 50% and shipping cost (~$10) when ready to ship. PayPal preferred, postal money order acceptable.

BTW, there are further details on the features of the ZYS and my other TS clone models HERE (http://www.thefret.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1078&d=1178908869), if you're interested.