PDA

View Full Version : Warren and Iago on a Guitar Quest for Iago!

warren0728
January 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
well iago and i got together today! Here is a brief rundown of the events of the day. As promised i took some pics and instead of clogging up the forum with them, i have them posted on the web (address at the end of this message). Iago doesn't really have internet access at the hotel....maybe he will at his friends....but i am sure he will add to my rundown of our adventure when he can.

I picked iago up at his hotel a little after 10:00am. What a nice guy!

Our first stop was Sam Ash. We played a lot of guitars there. The first one iago played was a MIJ fender mustang. I believe it is a 69 remake. A really cool guitar, you can get lots of different sounds out of that thing!

We also played a number of teles and strats. I have bought a number of instruments (guitars, piano, percussion, etc. from this store and our salesman (Wally) is a really nice guy. He remembered me from some of my other purchases. A no-pressure kinda guy...he let us do our thing without being bothered.

NEXT STOP was Guitar Center....we played a lot of guitars there to....iago played more epis than fenders at GC including a dual neck epi (12 string on top and 6 string on bottom). We played an epi lp gold top among others including sg's and more. I played a nashville edition tele with texmex pickups that i liked alot! Really nice sounds from that guitar (another non usa guitar).

WE WERE GETTING HUNGRY so i took iago to a little barbque shack (one of my favorites) that has a really good all you can eat soulfood buffet. We feasted on southern specialties such as lima beans, string beans, greens, potato casserole, rice, fried okra and baked chicken, fried chicken and sliced pork! Good stuff!

THEN WE WERE OFF to our third music store of the day. A local shop, Ron's Musick Shack. We played a lot of teles and strats at Ron's including an Eric Clapton model and a few other specialty strats and teles. Ron sold the Candy Tangerine American Deluxe tele with the s-1 switching so i didn't get to play that one :(

When all was said and done, iago decided that the guitar that he really wanted was the first guitar he played that day...the fender mustang. So we went back to Sam Ash and iago chose the beautiful blue one he originally played. I really liked this guitar too and think he made a good choice.

We had a really nice day. I dropped him off a little after 5:00pm....we are hoping to get together at my house before he leaves for brasil (he is going to friends in pinellas park tonight) to have a little jam session and as iago said...a nice home cooked meal!

One thing we did realize from our day of playing guitars....some of the most expensive ones were our least favorite playing guitars and some of the less expensive ones were liked by both of us more than the expensive ones. Like iago said...you need to try the guitars with your eyes closed so you don't get caught up in more money = a better guitar, it's not necessarily true!

OK....here is the link to the pictures.

http://homepage.mac.com/warren0728/PhotoAlbum16.html

ww

Tim
January 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Warren and Iago,

Boy I wish we could have done that last Friday. You both look like you had a lot of fun. I would have loved wandering from heaven to heaven looking for the perfect instrument. Looks like Iago got what he came for. Now he must remember when he returns to Brazil to stay off the couch when he is playing his new Fender Mustang. Nice axe there my friend! I hope it serves you well in the years to come.

Robert
January 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Old guys rule! Thank you for sharing this. I think it so great you two got together after getting to know each other on this board. So cool, I wish I'd been there. We starting to be like family here, eh?!

Great photos - the captions worked really well. It's like watching a really old movie! :cool:

Beautiful blue guitar! I am not so familiar with Mustang's, but it sure looks nice. Looking forward to hearing Iago's story!

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Hey Warren,

Nice to see that you were on .mac , that surely must mean that I suddenly got a macintosh friend on the fret.net? :)

What a nice mustang, I had one of those and really liked it. It was a 60´s model.

Nelskie
January 24th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Great post & great photos, Warren. So cool that you and Iago were able to hook up, and spend some time together. And by the way, that's a dandy-looking Mustang Iago snagged at Sam Ash. Love the color.

Just out of curiosity, what were you guys jamming in the that one shot of you two playing together?

warren0728
January 24th, 2006, 06:35 AM
tim: i wish you could have too...it was a lot of fun! Iago is a really nice guy.

robert: my family got me that t-shirt for christmas...it has become one of my favorites! You are right about this forum....it is my favorite forum....

superswede: yep....definately a mac guy here (i have a few of them!) you know what they say....once you go mac, you never go back!

That mustang played really nice. I wouldn't mind getting one myself!

ww

warren0728
January 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Just out of curiosity, what were you guys jamming in the that one shot of you two playing together?

we were playing my favorite song "everybody play what you can and don't worry about the others" yeah the title is kinda long but it is real easy to play!

ww : )

Nelskie
January 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Hey, that's my favorite song, too!! ;)

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Warren, I have a lot of Macs too. Although my wife would rather see me throw the majority of them away ;)

That restaurant Uncle Jones seems nice, but what is a "Srimp" ?

Tone2TheBone
January 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Warren and Iago,

Thats awesome! The photos are great! Thats the kind of stuff great memories are made of. Hooking up with fellow fretsters man that's way cool. And buying a guitar too! I think you did really good on that Mustang Iago. The color is sweet. The guitar playER in one of my bands in high school had a blue one with light blue stripes on the heel. That was a fun guitar I remember. Hope you got it home safe!

marnold
January 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Very cool. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now.

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Hey, that's my favorite song, too!! ;)

It just goes to show that I have no originality. I thought I wrote that song!:D

Great photos, Warren. It looks like Iago sure is happy with his purchase. Great looking guitar!

I don't think I'd have been able to resist playing "Stairway" on that double neck Epiphone, though...:R

Tim
January 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Hey Warren,

Hey Warren,

Please go find Iago and tell him to put the Mustang in the coral (temporarily) and sit down and write his story of the “ultimate” search for the new Fender guitar.

We are on pins and needles to hear his rendition of the day’s event. After all, it’s not everyday someone travels to another country to purchase a guitar.

You boys look like you really enjoyed the visit to the numerous stores in the area. You even got a bystander to take a picture of you both strumming’ away. To bad you did not have Robert’s video camera with you. It would have been a hoot to see the live footage.

warren0728
January 24th, 2006, 02:06 PM
tim,
he is at some friends house in another city right now and we are hoping that before his flight home (he's not sure when he is going back) that he might come over to my house to play and have some dinner.

He doesn't have internet access but if he makes it over to my house i'll have him type up his thoughts on the day and post them from here...if not you guys will have to wait until he gets back to brasil.

ww

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Very cool. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now.

Mmmm.. Germanium fuzzy?

Iago
January 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Good Morning you guys!

Man, finally I have a computer in front of me...Right now I`m in Pinellas Park (near Tampa) with some friends. Actually there isn`t too much to do around here, but the guys said they gonna get me a job (so I can buy more stuff :D )

Warren already wrote a lot about our guitar tour, so I`ll jus add some of my own thoughts

It`s really fun, couse I never thought I would like that Mustang so much, she`s got really interesting tones. she can sound close to a tele and close to a strat, and can sound as a weird mix of the two too! I still don`t have an amp here, so I`m playing it unppluged. I also love the neck (it`s a C shape) the strings feel a bit more loose than the strat`s because of the short lenght and the top-loader bridge, but not as much as a SG or a Les Paul.

Later I found out some of the cons in the Mustang, like no individual string-height adjustment and the most idiot vibrato ever:D it makes the guitar go way out of tune, and also, you don`t screw the vibrato arm in, like in a strat, you just pop it in, so when you turn the guitar`s top to the ground direction, it just falls off!

Hey guys, if someday you meet Warren pay atention to his music selection!!! Ear delight! Unfortunatelly my friends here mostly listen to hip-hop:(

By the way, I also loved the Deluxe Player strat I played at Music Shack, the Epi Goldtop Les Paul (with P-90s), better neck than the Gibson SG 61 to me and a blue agave standard Telecaster - twang a lot - much better than a Lite Ash we played at Sam Ash.

The lunch at the BBQ was great! Real food man! That`s the biggest problem to me right now, Finding a good place to eat (there`s only a Burguer King close to me here :/ I can`t stand it!) Soul food - Nothin Mo Betta!

So, I would like to give Warren a big thank you one more time. Great guy, I do wish to meet you again man!

The photos are great too. I`m sending the link to my friends in Brazil right now.

Iago
January 26th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Warren and Iago,

Boy I wish we could have done that last Friday. You both look like you had a lot of fun. I would have loved wandering from heaven to heaven looking for the perfect instrument. Looks like Iago got what he came for. Now he must remember when he returns to Brazil to stay off the couch when he is playing his new Fender Mustang. Nice axe there my friend! I hope it serves you well in the years to come.

Hey Tim, I`ll remember that! Better get myself straplocks!
I asked Warren about you! Hope we three can meet next time.

warren0728
January 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM
By the way, I also loved the Deluxe Player strat I played at Music Shack, the Epi Goldtop Les Paul (with P-90s), better neck than the Gibson SG 61 to me and a blue agave standard Telecaster - twang a lot - much better than a Lite Ash we played at Sam Ash.

man i really liked that blue tele too! Has made me rethink investing in the American Deluxe Tele (BTW ron sold the tangerine orange one i had my eye on)

I could get that standard tele AND another tube amp for the cost of the AD.

Once again Iago, i had a great time...let me know if you are coming back up my way.

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Warren And Iago I'VE been following your story and I have to say to both of you that you have restored my faith in the good people attract good people theory , amazing hospitality Warren , nice fish too ... 6S9L