PDA

View Full Version : Recent mispurchase...

Jimi75
June 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Nobody is safe from mispurchases and sometimes it is consolatory to see that you are not the only one :)

So here is my big mispurchase of the last time:

Line6 Flextone III XL

After having lots of hassle with this amp soundwise, I am right about to sell it again. The sounds are cold and not dynamic and the big wekanesses are gain and high gain sounds which I also need for the Metal Band I play in besides my Blues Rock Trio. The Bassman sound is a mess, so what's left then? *lol*

Fortunately, all other stuff I bought served me pretty well - nothing to regret here....

Robert
June 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Wouldn't the Vox AD50VT do it for you? Or even better the 120 version with all the programmable options and in stereo? The 120 costs quite a bit more though.

Jimi75
June 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Wouldn't the Vox AD50VT do it for you? Or even better the 120 version with all the programmable options and in stereo? The 120 costs quite a bit more though.

From what I heard on the Vox site the AD50VT sounds very convincing. I will have to check this amp out more detailled when I am in the local music shop the next time! For the time being I had more of an all tube ENGL or Mesa Boogie amp in the back of my mind.

Robert
June 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
All tube will be a better amp, but the cost would go up I imagine?

I have lots of AD50VT clips on my site too.

R_of_G
June 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I only have the 15VT of the Valvetronix series, but I can speak highly of Vox amps. That thing is an endless supply of great tone, and has never given me the slightest problem. Definitely check them out.

250Keith
June 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
What about the Cube 60?
just a thought.
Keith

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
+1 on the Vox ADxxVT series amps.

If you're going all tube and don't mind dropping a grand, I've read great things about the new Mesa Boogie Express 5:25....

TS808
June 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I agree with the Vox alternative. I have the AD60VTH and it's great, and I'm also a former Flextone III owner. I think the Line 6 amps are pretty good though. Check out the Line 6 Forums...one suggestion they make for the amp is swapping out the speakers for Eminence Screaming Eagles or Madison Minstrels. Or a less expensive alternative is the BBE Sonic Stomp through the effects loop.

Vox has a 212 version of the AD50VT now if you want the 212, or go with an AD100VT

tot_Ou_tard
June 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM
+1 on the Vox ADxxVT series amps.

If you're going all tube and don't mind dropping a grand, I've read great things about the new Mesa Boogie Express 5:25....
I tried a Godin LGP90 through the 5:25 at a guitar store once.

It was the nearest amp, I didn't know what it was. It sounded awesome clean on the 5 watt setting. I didn't get to do any more because the salesdude was a friggin' pain in the a$$. Every minute he'd show up with a pushy

Buy or get off the pot

attitude asking me "what did I think." The store was cramped and crowded. If I could have avoided this d!ck, I would have. As it was I beat it right out of the store.

Plank_Spanker
June 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
The Flextones and Spiders aren't the cream of the Line 6 crop. The Vetta line is pretty decent, but not as good as the Johnson Millenniums - I'm biased! :D

Even a really good modeler has it's limitations, and I've yet to hear a truly dynamic, breath robbing, high gain thumping gank from any modeler. That can all change if the amp is mic'ed and EQ'ed right through the PA.

The preset patches on any modeler I've ever tried are basically a joke and serve as simple starting points. I've spent a considerable amount of time tweaking my modelers.

And sometimes, modelers just might not be your cup of tea. Good luck on your quest, Jimi. :D

scorona
June 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I tried a Godin LGP90 through the 5:25 at a guitar store once.

It was the nearest amp, I didn't know what it was. It sounded awesome clean on the 5 watt setting. I didn't get to do any more because the salesdude was a friggin' pain in the a$$. Every minute he'd show up with a pushy

Buy or get off the pot

attitude asking me "what did I think." The store was cramped and crowded. If I could have avoided this d!ck, I would have. As it was I beat it right out of the store.

Anyone else have a chance to try the mesa 5:25? There is a good review in the July '07 Guitar Player mag.

btw: In the same issue, in an interview with Tommy Shaw (Styx, Damn Yankees, etc.) he mentions that he uses Vox Valvetronix amps for his studio work.

LagrangeCalvert
June 20th, 2007, 09:37 PM
IF...and I say IF...you didn't want to sell that amp, might I suggest one or two pedals to make your tone a little sweeter? I have had phenomenal success with a crate amp using this pedal for metal and blues...hell its a real tube screamer.

Go see if you can try out a Electro Harmonix English Muff'n two 12AY7's cascaded gives you serious goodness in the form of what I call a "marshall in a stomp box"....lemme break it down for ya if you don't mind.

The tubes do a couple of things for your tone...A) Their tubes so they will warm up that dead amp, you can clean it up and get some really nice warm chimy cleans...then crank it over and get some serious crunch...not to mention tubes naturally compress a bit, helps with a distorted tone.

B) Its a portable peddle that you can use on any amp to color the signal or even use it as a boost stomp.

C) This stomp box is nice cause you can SWITCH the tubes out. So there is a huge number of configurations you can use...considering there is 2 "12X7" spots and 5 different gain placement "12X7" so its plug and play. 2 12AX7's in that pedal ab-so-freakin-lutly scream....you can get Krank style gain out of it and it has sustain for days.

I have a Peavey Delta Blues and I love it, but I'm fortunate enough to have a woman who will buy me gear and want to learn to play and do recording stuff.
I'm blessed with an econo tweed amp and nice guitars. Enough blabbering. If you don't think a half stack is overkill and just good for looks (cept old plexi's and JCM 100, & Hiwatts) then you might want to check out a Epiphone Socal 50.....NICE amp for the money IMHO. I digress.