PDA

View Full Version : To quack or not to quack...

Tone2TheBone
June 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM
...that is the question. Position 2 on a Strat (bridge/middle) sounds good to me I can use that. Think of the opening riff of that Robert Plant song (Big Log). Middle and neck position 4.....ehhhhh...I'm not too crazy about.

What about you. When do you introduce quack in your playing.

ps - Tele quack always rocks. This I can use totally. :DR

duhvoodooman
June 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I've said this before--I like the regular Strat position 2 quack, with the bridge & middle p'ups in parallel, but I flat out love it in conjunction with switching that puts the bridge in series with the middle. I call it "super-quack", and other than a nice Hendrixian Strat neck tone, it's my favorite Strat sound. :DR

Position 4? I'm with you on that, Tone. Kind of blah, and I don't use it much. The quack isn't as pronounced, though it's clearly there. When I do use it, it's usually with high gain distortion, and that position gets rid of the hum that can sometimes get pretty obnoxious in positions 3 & 5. It would be very interesting to hear how it sounded with the neck and middle in series, but I've never tried wiring a Strat that way.

Tone2TheBone
June 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Very interesting comments Voodoo thank you. I tried the blender circuit on one of my Strats once and at that time I didn't care for it. I'd be willing to try that again now though. I'll have to reinvestigate your crazy wiring options as well. About the only time I will use neck/middle is on a fairly clean amp sound. With any amount of grit it gets lost and mushy sounding to me. Not so with the middle/bridge. As I hinted at on the Tele I absolutely love the bridge/neck combo. I'd love to get that sound on a Strat but I think I'd need a Tele sounding pup on the Strat and that's why I was interested in putting a plate behind the bridge pup. As it is I don't care for a Strat bridge in stock form. Thanks for you comments Voo.

Ro3b
June 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
In my 80s neo-psychedelic jangle-band days, I liked neck+middle with a chorus. Bridge+middle got kind of icepicky. Or so it seemed to me at the time; I might like it better now.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I have just started to experiment with quack, and don't really know where I want to use it in playing. I would suppose I would use it more for emphasis in rhythm. I like that bridge/middle position for quack better too. First time I heard it, I stopped and said "Whoa, where'd that come from?" I use the neck/middle once in a while for rhythm playing where I want it nice and quiet and smooth. It was the position my instructor favored for my playing the rhythm barre chords on Dire Straits "Sultans" I have not used that position for much else though and tend to camp on the neck the rest of the time.

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
ps - Tele quack always rocks. This I can use totally. :DR
Teles don't quack . . . but mine will.

duhvoodooman
June 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I can tell you that my Nashville Tele most definitely quacks!

Robert
June 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hey this is a ducky thread!

I like quack positions 2 and 4, I actually use them a lot, sometimes even when I'm "chicken picking"! :D

Jimi75
June 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I do not use pos. 2 regularly I must admit, but 4 is definitely one of my all time favourites! Especially on my maple neck Strat it gives me that SRV woody growly tone together with my Texas Special Custom PUs!

R_of_G
June 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM
diff songs, diff feels, diff selector positions and diff places for the wah in the chain. sometimes i want it to quack, sometimes i don't.

Big K
June 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM
position 6 on my Strat has this super-quack sound

duhvoodooman
June 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
How exactly is that wired? ;) :D

Big K
June 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
it's done with the removal of all shielding and a minimum of 4 ground loops....

snarph
June 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
My all time favorite quack is or was on my early Edition Strat Plus with the gold lace sensor pickups and a TBX tone control ...come to think of it I liked all of the positions on that guitar :):):)

snarph
June 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM
But Quak is not only a subjective thing on every one of my strat type guitars quacks differently GFS, AP11's, Wilkinsons,And hig end Chinees pups all get It but take different routes

Plank_Spanker
June 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM
My three single Strat lives in position 2 or 4, with brief forays to 1 or 5. The split coil sound defines Strats.

Sometimes, you just gotta quack...................:D

tot_Ou_tard
June 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Iz that your AFLAC super strat?

tot_Ou_tard
June 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
My three single Strat lives in position 2 or 4, with brief forays to 1 or 5. The split coil sound defines Strats.

Sometimes, you just gotta quack...................:D
Nobody plays 3, is it really that uninteresting?

I'll play it on my Godin SD, but then again it has a Gibby scale.

I like 1 & 4 best. Nice cluck in 4 even though it's got a 'bucker at the bridge. The 'bucker is quite bright & spanky though.