PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Color, Baby?

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Well, I managed to get the crappy blue finish sanded off my Telecaster (see the link in my sig for details). There was much rejoicing. Now I just need to pick a color. Ideally, I'd like to paint it candy apple red, but everything I've read indicates that I shouldn't try that for a first paint job. Right now, I'm leaning towards blue. And no, I'm not going to repaint it pink.

WackyT
June 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Take it down to the wood, medium dark stain, and wax.

Spudman
June 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Man Marnold, from the way your thread was titled I was almost ready to say caucasian.:D

If you have nice looking wood consider what WackyT says. Otherwise, why not go pastel? Sea foam, Sonic Blue, or how about those prismatic paints from the auto paint store that change color?

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Of the choices, dark blue for sure. Followed by fire engine, though I prefer candy apple, red. But, there are a coupla red teles on the fret already.

Dauntless
June 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Au Natural!!

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't mind stripping it all the way down, except I really don't want to deal with chemicals, which is the only practical way to get that finish off. Plus the body is basswood so the likeliness of it being anything to look at would be relatively limited.

Tone2TheBone
June 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Dang I was going to say candy apple red. :(

250Keith
June 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
KTM Orange,( Pumpkin ).
YA Baby!

M29
June 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hello marnold,

I kind of like the metallic colors in this type of situation. Clapton had a darker metallic turquoise Strat that I thought was awesome. With the right guard, pickups and knobs it would look great. I also like Spudman's suggestion with the prismatic colors. I painted my first LP junior copy that I made with white pearl and it looked great. I also painted a friends LP flip flop blue pearl and that was nice too. If you are real careful in a clean room you could paint a prismatic color. The only problem with candy and pearl colors is that if you have any trouble at any time during the painting with a run or dirt, you may have to sand it all back off and start over again. Not so much with the pearls or prismatic colors but with any candy. I used to paint custom motorcycles for a local Harley shop and without a super clean work area you can mess up a candy paint job and have to start all over again right down to the base color.

I feel the same way about the natural finish, the basswood is a risk as far as grain and color and the current finish could be used as a base for whatever color you decide on. I would sand it down as thin as you can though and get off as much of the original finish as you can. This will keep the total thickness to a minimum and still provide a good dry stable base that has filled your grain all these years.
Whatever you decide on it is looking better all the time, nice work indeed!

M29

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Wicked job on the blog Marnold .. If the wood has nice grain , natural is pretty easy to do , check out ReRanch they make real nice products , their nitrocellulose finishes look great .. heres a link ..http://reranch.com/ the section on re-finishing is very informative ..6S9L

WackyT
June 8th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't mind stripping it all the way down, except I really don't want to deal with chemicals, which is the only practical way to get that finish off. Plus the body is basswood so the likeliness of it being anything to look at would be relatively limited.

OK. I'd go with a deep blue then. Or even a forest green.

marnold
June 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Wicked job on the blog Marnold .. If the wood has nice grain , natural is pretty easy to do , check out ReRanch they make real nice products , their nitrocellulose finishes look great .. heres a link ..http://reranch.com/ the section on re-finishing is very informative ..6S9L
I've looked at their info. I've also bought some of the books from the Paint Your Own Guitar (http://paintyourownguitar.com/) site. My only concern with Reranch is when the store might actually be open. Are their other rattle-can paints that any of you have had luck with?

WackyT
June 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I love this one!
http://reranch.com/gallery/laylastrat.htm

kerc
June 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Paint it copper. :D

Iago
June 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
if its a rosewood fretboard go with red.
if its maple go with black.

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
OK. I'd go with a deep blue then. Or even a forest green.
+1 :D

M29
June 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hello marnold,

I have used ReRanch rattlers and I think they work just fine although I only used the color not the clear.

M29

250Keith
June 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I was on another site an looked at a Orange/pumkin color Tele it looked realy good It had some metal flake and I think it was shaker can too, Have fun with it Im sure it will look good! just have fun it's all yours.
Keith

oldguy
June 10th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Vintage white, then let it age to a nice cream color.

tot_Ou_tard
June 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Ah Marnold, keep it pink.

...you can probably borrow Krashpad's wig if you ask real nice. :D

marnold
June 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Ah Marnold, keep it pink.
I thought about that for a nano-second. I figured I could just sand the pink (which sounds like a euphemism but is not) with progressively finer grit sandpaper and then clear coat it. Then I threw up and ditched the idea.

marnold
June 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Well, I talked to one guy in Green Bay who paints guitars. He said that a candy apple red finish would run ~$250. He's got to double-check on the paint prices. A standard solid color would be ~$150. Those prices are pretty reasonable, given what I have seen advertised on the 'Net. Having said that, I really don't want to fork over $250 just for paint. That would be roughly double what I paid for the guitar. The advantage is that it would be the exact color that I want and the finish would last forever. From where I stand, I'd rather spend extra money on pickups than paint.

marnold
June 14th, 2007, 03:11 PM
We may have a winner (http://telebotomy.blogspot.com/2007/06/we-may-have-winner.html): Duplicolor Metal Specks Retro Red. Take a look at the picture on my blog and tell me that color isn't hawt.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Looks great! Tart that baby right up!

LagrangeCalvert
June 25th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Daphne Blue...with the aged finish from playing bars and seeing the road!....oh I also love the color of aged maple neck

Big_Rob
June 25th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I like red, both my electrics are red.

duhvoodooman
June 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
You know I'm a sucker for red guitars! http://www.thefret.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

marnold
June 25th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'm thinking that today or tomorrow I'm going to make the trek to get some of that paint. I still have to find a store that has Deft, but that shouldn't be an issue.

pie_man_25
June 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM
my favourite coulour is GREEN!!!!
yaaaaaay GREEN!...
I want a sandwich now.

Big_Rob
June 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
my favourite coulour is GREEN!!!!
yaaaaaay GREEN!...
I want a sandwich now.

:D

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Look at my avatar... need I say more? :)

stingx
July 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Oly White for the paint and all the plastics parts should be creme. :)