PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions

M29
June 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Hello,

I am somewhat ambidextrous and am concerned about picking up bad habits with my guitar playing. I had this problem when I played drums and I want to avoid it on the guitar if I can. I play right handed which is natural to me but there are times when I favor the left in my left hand fingering.
I notice when playing a lead I have a habit of starting my phrasing out with my first finger which starts me off on a low note in a pattern. I know this is okay with hammer-ons and what not but I think I do it too much. From what I hear it sounds like most (but not all) phrases end on a higher note then when you started out, which gives a brighter sound to the phrase. I guess I have trouble leading with my third and fourth fingers in phrasing. I have been practicing Roberts recent lesson with triads which I think is helping a lot. It is giving me a new avenue to explore and I like it alot.
Do you know of any lessons or patterns that might help me over come this? I think it is getting to be too much of a habit with me. I know I am very inexperienced yet but I want to get this right before it gets too common in my playing.
I hope I am explaining this correctly.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Robert
June 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Let's see - you mean you want to find phrases that sound good and don't start with the first finger? An obvious idea would to play licks and phrases you already know in reverse order - that might "open up the eyes of your fingers", so to speak. :D

There are no rules in the phrases you play. I mean, listen to Miles Davis. Man, did he ever play cool phrases! He would start at a different place of the beat than most other players. I think that's why he so quickly had the legendary, older jazz players looking at him. He was doing way cooler things than everybody else.

Anyway, what I suggest I guess is try new things. Force yourself to play new phrases and ideas, even though the fingers might struggle to keep up. It could in itself lead to new ideas and a better grasp of playing good phrases.

Another idea is to play notes of a phrase in different order. For example, if the notes are C, D, A, G - try playing them in all different combinations. D, A, C, G; A, D, G, C; etc.... then try it with a different timing and accentuation!

Hope that helps you some,
Robert

M29
June 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks Robert, I see what you mean.

M29

tot_Ou_tard
June 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM
M29, I recently decided to reevaluate my technique to make sure that I have good form. I've slowed way down to make sure my hands, arms, and shoulders are relaxed. That my fingers are moving cleanly and independently (with the unused left-hand fingers relaxed and poised near the strings). I've also shortened my strap so the guitar hangs a bit higher when I play (I always stand). I am also trying to keep my fretting hand thumb on the back of the neck--only reaching over the top for bends or to fret bass notes.

I know this doesn't help you with your question, I'm just supporting your idea of making sure not to develop bad habits.

Jimi75
June 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't judge the whole situation too negative. First of all there are still moves and ways in my playing that derrive from my beginnings. See this as STYLE. Everybody got his own way of approaching the guitar. If you start your lines with the first finger then give yourself time to learn more stuff and things will change. Please do not push yourself, because you can not change something that defines you and your style! Accept it for first.

I like what tot_Ou_tard writes and I see this as a very very wise advise how you can slowly proceed and move further!

Next positive thing is that Robert's excellent lesson on triads keeps you busy for a while. Play the lesson and work it out until you play the triads "out of the guts".

To me these are 3 clear positiver points that should let you hope for good t
things to come!

My advise though is keep it natural, lay off the habit of thinking of this matter when picking up the guitar. Do not destroy the fun of playing this beautiful instrument, there way more things than how to start a line :-)

Greetz
Jimi

aeolian
June 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Just because you start with your first finger does not mean you have to start the phrase with a low note (unless you are also starting from a low string). For example, if you are holding a Cm (1-3, 2-4, 3-5, 4-5 [string-fret]) shape, you can start an arppeggio from the first string (your first finger), then on down through strings 2, 3, and so on. You end up on a lower note than you start out with.

Another thing I find can give you some interesting sounding melodies is to throw in some string-skipping notes. You can practice this in the minor pentatonic box just skipping around from first finger on the 2nd string to 3rd finger on the 4th string, for example.

ShortBuSX
June 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I am also trying to keep my fretting hand thumb on the back of the neck--only reaching over the top for bends or to fret bass notes.

I know this doesn't help you with your question, I'm just supporting your idea of making sure not to develop bad habits.

Ive always played with my thumb pressed on the back of the neck, I used to watch the greats, Hendrix for example, who chops chords always seemed to have thier thumb resting over the top...I always wanted to be able to emulate that(with next to no success)...is THAT a bad habit? For some reason that always seemed like the desireable technique to me...sorry if I strayed too far off topic, but this is the first Ive heard much mention and made me curious. *shrug*(how bout some useable emocons?)

M29
June 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks all for the excellent info, I really appreciate it:R

M29

tot_Ou_tard
June 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Ive always played with my thumb pressed on the back of the neck, I used to watch the greats, Hendrix for example, who chops chords always seemed to have thier thumb resting over the top...I always wanted to be able to emulate that(with next to no success)...is THAT a bad habit? For some reason that always seemed like the desireable technique to me...sorry if I strayed too far off topic, but this is the first Ive heard much mention and made me curious. *shrug*(how bout some useable emocons?)

I've usually heard it described as an inefficient way to play. I was just naturally hanging my thumb over & noticed that it flattens and closes off the curve of your hand.

With the thumb on the back of the neck your hand can move under and around so that the hand's curve is nice and the fingers come straight down on the strings.

It took me a few days of concentrating only on the thumb to stop it drifting to the top for a nap.

I suppose the best thing is to be able to play either way and to consciously choose which one depending on what is being played.

If you are on a bending spree, it probably pays to have the thumb over the top for leverage.

The latest thing I'm working on is trying to keep my unused fretting fingers from lifting up too far off the fretboard when another finger is busy fretting.

I've ignored this for too long & it's getting in the way of my fluidity. There's too much manic finger flailing going on. At first it seemed impossible, but by going slowly, relaxing, and not stressing about it I think I'm begininng to make some connections between the neurons controlling my fingers.

I think of it like tricking my brain.

Man O man, he keeps trying to make very precise finger movements...it must be important for food or to avoid being eaten. :D