PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day Ideas

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
OK folks, this is a take off from the $29 Bass thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3350). Since the bass I ordered turned out to be 100 lbs of suck in a 10 lb bag, I thought I'd ask for gear-related ideas for a Father's Day gift. I'd say that the $40 I was going to spend on the bass is a good target, so ordering that Marshall stack I've had my eye on is right out :)

In the other thread, they suggested brewing-related stuff since I am also a homebrewer. Specifically, kegs were suggested. The "problem" is that I already have six five-gallon Cornelius (formerly used for pop) kegs. I just got a new used 20# CO2 tank given as a gift. One of my friends is getting out of homebrewing and is letting me have my choice of his stuff. Last summer I got a beer fridge for free that needed some TLC to get back up to snuff. That has been done. Thus, homebrew-related stuff is probably out. I'd aim more gear-related.

Thoughts?

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Tap handles? Just kidding. Sorry about that. But seriously, in the price range, you could order two Behringer pedals that you do not have. One, the tuner, it works well, and I love it now that it is in the chain. Two, the PB100 clean boost. I use it all the time now, and I know Spud and Robert both like the clean boost effect. It makes the guitar's sound just "more" without any coloration of tone at all. Each is well worth it. Here is a link to the tuner:
http://www.music123.com/Behringer-Chromatic-Tuner-i156792.music

I see the price on the clean boost is now $29.99, so you would be over by $10 if you got both. But, they are both great additions. Anyhoo . . . Happy Father's day in advance!

Spudman
June 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
$40 huh? All in one shot? Then a trip to the Caribbean is what I'd suggest...or the clean boost. You choose, you're the dad with the big bucks.;)

marnold
June 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
$40 huh? All in one shot? Then a trip to the Caribbean is what I'd suggest...or the clean boost. You choose, you're the dad with the big bucks.;)
I know, I know. My wife is a stay-at-home mom so the "present" comes from my money anyway. Let's see, I just paid the insurance and my quarterly tax payment. I've got to fork over about $500 for school for the kids. Somewhere or the other my wife needs new glasses and the kids really should get to the dentists. Naturally, we have insurance for neither. This is also why my Tele project is so delayed. It'll be awhile before I can scrape together the cash for pups and electronics.

I'm not complaining--far from it. I've got a great life. I just don't have a lot of discretionary income :)

Spudman
June 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I know, I know. My wife is a stay-at-home mom so the "present" comes from my money anyway. Let's see, I just paid the insurance and my quarterly tax payment. I've got to fork over about $500 for school for the kids. Somewhere or the other my wife needs new glasses and the kids really should get to the dentists. Naturally, we have insurance for neither. This is also why my Tele project is so delayed. It'll be awhile before I can scrape together the cash for pups and electronics.

I'm not complaining--far from it. I've got a great life. I just don't have a lot of discretionary income :)

(hanging head in humble apology) Um, that's what I get for being a smarty pants.:o The Behringer PB100 is a subtle but very useful tool and within budget.

Happy Father's Day.:)

Tone2TheBone
June 9th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I say lets throw a kegger of your home brew and party down man! ;)

Having said that just do what you can.

marnold
June 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
(hanging head in humble apology)
No need to hang your head. I laughed when I read your response. When I originally wrote the $40 thing, I thought to myself, "Well, some new picks would be nice." :)

Another thing I thought of was some sort of instructional video/book that you've found useful. I know that several folks on here were talking up the "Blues You Can Use" books a while back. I thought of Metal Method's new "Speed Kills 3" DVD, but that might be more frustrating than anything else. Any thoughts?

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I asked for a Keb Mo acoustic blues one for Father's day that I saw at the shop and thought would teach me some good old classic licks with Keb's ties to Robert Johnson.

ShortBuSX
June 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
$40...target
Case of New Castle? Great beer, no wait.

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Case of New Castle? Great beer, no wait.
Direct and efficient! I admire that type of strategy! :D

I ordered one of those Behringer chromatic tuner pedals. Looks worth a try to me for only $20! My current tuner (Boss TU-80) isn't a pedal style and is a pain in the butt to use once you amass several guitars. My daughter can use it for her viola....

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I would think... the best cheap present... Your kids buying a pack of Bic lighters.. and while you play (good or bad) they light them in the air while chanting (go daddy, go daddy)... would be all I would ever want...;)