PDA

View Full Version : Help - I've been playing 20 years and can't change a string!

Lev
June 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Guys,

I need some help, I broke a string on my classic player 60's start and decided it was time to put on a new set - no big deal. However this is the first guitar I've owned with Gotoh vintage style tuners where the string feeds into the top of the tuning post rather than through a horizontal eyelet. I cannot work out how this mechanism works and I've spent some time on google looking for a guide with no joy. I think when you feed the string through the top of the port something should clamp it in place as you turn the key but the string just keeps popping out for me. Does anyone know where I can find a guide on how to change strings with these type of tuners?

WackyT
June 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM
http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile712.html

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Once you know how to use these tuners, you'll love 'em! Very quick to do, no tag end sticking out anywhere to catch on things (like cleaning cloths or your finger flesh!), and excellent tuning stability. Only locking tuners are any more convenient, IMO....

Lev
June 10th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks guys, I managed to figure it out with your help. A little more work than locking tuners - I might just need more practice.

Big_Rob
June 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Alex, Ill take Schaller locking tuners For Teh Win!!!

Tone2TheBone
June 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I love vintage tuners. Cut to length, stick it in the hole, bend and turn. Ahhhh life was so simple back then. Think of them as a regular tuning post only lying on it's side.