PDA

View Full Version : Electric Mistress - Sweeeeet

Justaguyin_nc
June 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Well, finally!!

I have messed with alot of make believe Flangers thru different multi-effects pedals and such.. plus some cheap flanger pedals.

I finally got a real Electric Mistress and man.. it's like nite and day..

As a beginner.. I keep searching out what sounds I liked growing up and a flanger is usually in there someplace..

Loving David Gilmours sound I knew some day I would have to add a real mistress to my growing board. It has proved to be worth every penny spent !!

I haven't a clue yet as to all the sounds it is capable of doing.. fortunate to me www.Gilmourish.com (http://www.Gilmourish.com) has some setting that fill my needs.

Very amaturish in my guitar playing, I can still enjoy sounds I feel.. this pedal lets me feel them..

If your thinking of a flanger.. just quit thinking.. go brain dead and get the Electric Mistress.. you will not regret it!

Here is my brain dead sound.. off key.. out of step.. and putting a grin on my face everytime I play it...

http://www.box.net/shared/n1za91zy9l

I would wish and like for others that may have this pedal to drop a line as to some settings they may use for certian players and songs if anyone has any?

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Cool! Sounds good on that PF tune! Does it do a slow, wide, whooshing flanger sweep, too? I would assume so. But you'll need to post another clip with that sound to convince me! ;)

BTW, where'd you get it?

EDIT: I liked the sound of that so well, I did a little research on the pedal and ended up bidding on one in an auction at eBay that was just about to end. Didn't get it, but now I have something to look out for there. I don't have a good flanger pedal, and have yet to come across a decent DIY kit. I like the Deluxe Electric Mistress' ability to turn off the flanger sweep. You can do some cool stuff with that!

Justaguyin_nc
June 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Oh my bad.... to make no mistakes... after reading back at my comment on the pedal.. this is the Deluxe Electric Mistress I have.. newly bought at Musiciansfriend...

I looked and watched for months on ebay to get one at a decent price. Seems most pay as much for a used Deluxe reissue as the current price and the vintage ones are just not cost effective for me... so went with new.. it's pretty steep for a flanger I guess at $135.00, but cheaper then the MXR... I can honestly say after a few weeks.. it's still worth every penny and probably the best pedal I have...

Umm..although I like my dynacomp and rat alot.. and fond of my Boss bd-2 now.. and well.. the Large Beaver (another neat B.Y.O.C. Triangle Muff pedal) :)

The Mistress blends well with all.. making your sound just seem much bigger and better... makes the leslie/rotary sound.. nice chorus sound.. sweeps with planes if needed.. although they say the mxr flanger does that better but thinner? (objective I would assume).. This pedal been used by alot of people in many ways..very versatile!

There is a flaw with it.. although I have left mine on since I got it and if you think about it you have a volume control on your guitar.. but anyways... if you add it in the middle of a song.. you lose volume.. slightly but noticable.. when it first turns on I would say maybe half a level number.. at least mine does this.. some say they don't have the flaw.. some do.. but...

There is also a fix for it.. just open it up and adjust the trim pots..

SuperSwede
June 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Sounds good Justa... very Gilmourish. Do you use the classic jet plane swoosh sound as well?

Justaguyin_nc
June 10th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Actually.. just to mess with and I can't get it full swooooshy yet...;) it's all just to mess with at this point of my playing... more so, use settings found on the net for floyd songs.. which don't have the big airplane swooosh to me.. although the flanger sound is very present in their early live sounds.. the wall etc..

Can't think of Airplane swooosh song to save my life.. Name something with the big airplane swooosh..lol

LagrangeCalvert
June 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM
the bridge on Lenny Cravits Are you Gonna go MY Way...has a good flanged swoosh to it....check out the song...you'll find it.

SuperSwede
June 12th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Can't think of Airplane swooosh song to save my life.. Name something with the big airplane swooosh..lol

Your future productions probably will once you get the hang of it... Bring it on :)

marnold
June 12th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Heart "Barracuda"

ShortBuSX
June 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Im kinda studying up on Andy Summers...today I was curious about his effects (http://web.tiscali.it/andatta/menu.htm) and found this and to my surprise it was the same Flang you were talkin bout.

Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger

This is it, this is the main pedal that helps Andy Summers get his signature sounds- an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger. This is a very special flanger that has been hailed around the world as one of the top flangers (along with the ADA and MXR Flangers.)

Flanging is almost like phasing except more sophisticated. The signal speed can be changed from a slight waver to an extreme flutter, like phasing, but now the two signals can be delayed, so a pitch change will occur between the two signals.

For example, listen to "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" and notice that the guitar sounds very "warbly". This is because Andy set the delay to a higher lever, so it can be "detuned." "Don't Stand So Close To Me" is a good example of how flanging can also be used to make one guitar sound rich and full. "Driven To Tears" is, in my opinion, the greatest example of flangers in use.

Flangers also have a "feedback" control which sets the strength that the signal has. With this all the way up, your guitar sounds like a jet plane flying by. Check out the solo to "Omegaman" to hear this in effect.

Flangers also have different waveform shapes. Since this is an analog flanger, it's sound is warmer than digital ones, and only has one waveform- but the Electric Mistress is set to have a "triangle" wavefrom instead of a logarithmic- so it can get detuning sounds easier.

This pedal is also famous because of it's "filter matrix." What it does is it disables the flange sweep . . . so you can position it ANYWHERE YOU WANT. That's how Andy Summers got that dry, thirsty guitar sound on "How Stupid Mr. Bates."

If you love the Police (who doesn't?) and play a guitar, get this pedal - actually, get the newer, more reliable Deluxe Electric Mistress. Turn the rate to about 9 o'clock, Range and Color both to 11 o'clock, and you have Andy Summers in a box.

I kinda liked how they gave settings, hope this helps some if any.

Justaguyin_nc
June 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
So many have used and still use this pedal.. I guess I am an old acid head that just loved the sound..

Looking back at all of them, I came to a newer group that I enjoyed songs from..
Umm well, kinda newer to me, even though they been out since the mid 80's-90's...
The Stone Roses... a brit group that went back to the psychedelic way... checkout some of their videos on Youtube..
will remind you of Pop brits on acid..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k4bHMVAKDao&mode=related&search=

Speaking of Brit... this was an interesting read... on how a flanger came to be.. truth? who knows... anyways..

Originally (according to the stories), flanging was
developed for John Lennon who loved the sound of double tracked
vocals, but hated to actually do it. Given that the Beatles were gods
to the studio guys at EMI, they came up with using two tape machines
and dragging a finger along the tape flange (hence flanging). The
actual effect was to sound like perfectly double tracked vocals. The
engineers called it Automatic Double Tracking and came up with the
nickname flanging. Add regeneration and you have today's flanger. It
doesn't work quite as well in mono, but when you split the signal to
two amps, you get a double tracked sound. Flanging is just mixing a
very slightly delayed signal with the original, and adding some
regeneration.

Those darn brits...;)

This brings us to another feature on the Deluxe Electric Mistress.. Direct Output also included and engaged while the flanger out is still engaged.. you can double track.. either with a Y adapter or output to two different amps.. wet and dry..

ShortBuSX
June 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM
.. I guess I am an old acid head that just loved the sound..

The Stone Roses...

Being a "club kid" from the early 90s, Im familiar...love that song!

Originally (according to the stories), flanging was
developed for John Lennon who loved the sound of double tracked
vocals, but hated to actually do it. Given that the Beatles were gods
to the studio guys at EMI, they came up with using two tape machines
and dragging a finger along the tape flange (hence flanging). The
actual effect was to sound like perfectly double tracked vocals. The
engineers called it Automatic Double Tracking and came up with the
nickname flanging. Add regeneration and you have today's flanger. It
doesn't work quite as well in mono, but when you split the signal to
two amps, you get a double tracked sound. Flanging is just mixing a
very slightly delayed signal with the original, and adding some
regeneration.

Sounds like George Martin...HE was my favorite Beatle!;)

BTW, I wanna thank you for bringing this pedal to my attention...Im in the process of setting up a pedal board and purchasing pedals slowly but surely...I think without reading your post and that Andy Summers page, I think I might have bought just a "flanger" pedal...but Im really liking the features on this EH one.

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Mwah-ha-ha-ha!! New in original box (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130124659378)....

Justaguyin_nc
June 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Mwah-ha-ha-ha!! New in original box (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130124659378)....

That just aint rite...sigh... lol..

Enjoy it while you tear it open and figure how to make it much smaller!!

Good job DVM... I been trying for awhile to get one at that price and gave up.. wouldn't ya know it...:mad: :p

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM
My Electric Mistress came yesterday and I had a chance to play with it some last night. It's more of a "swirly" flanger than a "whooshy" one, if you know what I mean. If you feed it an overdriven tone, then you get more of that "whoosh" effect, but it's not over the top, which I like. (The flanger model in my AD30VT is w-a-a-a-y too whooshy, IMO.)

With the sweep rate set low, the range (sweep width) set high, and the color (intensity) dialed up around 3/4, I was getting some very nice Gilmour-type sounds with my Strat. The controls are quite sensitive, so it's going to take some fooling around to find the "sweet spots", I can see. I did find that if you turn the rate up around 2/3 and the range down to about a quarter, you get a pretty good rotating speaker emulation.

I didn't spend much time yet in the "filter matrix" mode, which turns the sweep off. But by twiddling with the range control, it was possible to get kind of an octave-up chimey effect. Gotta play with that some more.

A couple of unusual features, as pedals go: The EM uses a 24V DC wall-wart, so forget about plugging in your 9V daisy-chain power adapter. No battery capability, but then I never use batteries anyway. The other weird thing is that there's no power LED, so the only way to know if it's on is to listen to what's coming out of your amp. I suppose I could wire one in, if I find the lack of an LED to be annoying after using it for a while.

Will try to get a couple of clips posted after I have time to get more familiar with the pedal....

Tone2TheBone
June 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'm anxious to hear what the Mistress sounds like. Good score Voo congrats.

duhvoodooman
June 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Justa got me in a Floyd mood, and I recorded this clip with the Electric Mistress using my Strat (M-B, in series) through my Peavey Delta Blues' clean channel. On the "o'clock" scale, the Mistress settings were rate = 9, range (sweep width) = 3, color (intensity) = 1:30. These are snippets of a couple of familiar tunes from Dark Side of the Moon, including that same one Justa used, 'cuz it's one of my PF favorites. Actually, back at that time, Gilmour used a UniVibe, not an EM, but hey--close enough!!

http://www.box.net/shared/hn2esbm0p3

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hey, DVM and Justa, that is cool, and inspires me to learn more Floyd to play with my strat and C-30. I only know a little of Wish You Were Here now. Of my pedal list in my sig line, can any of you suggest something to try? I suppose I could set up my Korg to do something. I should go search for a patch.

duhvoodooman
June 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I'd fool around with the Boss CE-5, since it's a shimmery, chorus type of sound here.

Robert
June 28th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a flanger all right. Personally, I am not a fan of flangers, but interesting to see you guys like them. I like chorus much more.

Justaguyin_nc
June 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Actually, back at that time, Gilmour used a UniVibe, not an EM, but hey--close enough!!

http://www.box.net/shared/hn2esbm0p3

Way cool DVM... enjoyed all the Floyd sounds... Yeah, the Univibe was actually used.. Dunlops cheaper Univibe Stereo Chorus grabs the sound pretty good for dark side stuff and earlier.. not alot different then the Mistress but its different.. Actually.. the EH Small Stone Phaser sounds closer to the Univibe then the Mistress.. well to me... all three are winners.. when in the floyd mood...

got to go watch back to pompei now.... laterz

sunvalleylaw
June 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I was thinking the CE-5 too for getting started. I have not played with the depth, rate and filter knobs all that much yet. I was also thinking the Korg might be capable of doing some additional flanger stuff etc. to mix in and play with.