PDA

View Full Version : Hi y'all

arch23
June 10th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Hi all,
I've been looking for a while for a friendly place to join, and this seems to be it. i like the atmosphere here.
I'm Ori, this month 33 y/o, from Israel. Been playing for more than 10 years, though never took a playing lesson in my life, until a month ago. Lately decided I needed a few lessons to move on and get better.
I like classic rock, blues, rock-blues. But any style with good guitars can turn me on.
My current gear is:
Guitars: Reverend Warhawk HB, Carvin Bolt T (kit), epiphone lp-100
Amps:Blues Junior (a week old, i was afraid it will be too loud but it has been great. I shouldn't have waited to long to get a tube amp...), Vox AD30VT
Pedals: SD-1, Fulltone 69', boss TU-2, AMT Tube platinum (hate it, selling it), tech 21 Tri-A.C (didn't deliver the goods also).
Also, I own a Zoom H4. Hope to post some clips done with this great recorder. It's good for practice in the late hours as it contains a mfx and a metronome.

That's it. Hope it will be fun
Thanks.

oldguy
June 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Ori!
Nice gear list. Glad you joined us here, this place is kinda like the roadside service stations of old, where you can stop for pancakes and G.A.S.:p :D

SuperSwede
June 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Welcome Ori! Yes this is the one-stop g.a.s station that you and your wallet will ever need.

tot_Ou_tard
June 10th, 2007, 07:20 AM
A Rev, a Blues Jr, & a VOX AD30VT? You'll fit right in.

What's your opinion on pancakes? :D

Welcome!

arch23
June 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys. :D

told ya - it felf like the right place... I love pancakes and I do have for a distortion pedal right now. I'm waiting for a business trip to the U.S to spend some.

Robert
June 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Welcome arch23, glad you joined us! May I recommend the Maxon SD-9!

warren0728
June 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM
welcome arch23....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

marnold
June 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Welcome about arch! L'Chaim!

Spudman
June 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Welcome to our international forum of mystery. Glad that you found us.

arch23
June 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks to all, for the warm reception :)
marnold - cheers and "Toda".
Robert - i watched most of you clips and I like your playing. some magical finger tips you got there... great.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would have to go and listen to the maxon sd-9 although I got a feeling it is something between an overdrive and a fuzz, and I may be looking for something else. I still haven't decided myself, but i think it'may be a "marshall is a box" or that area. don't know for sure yet. anything else you are thinking about?

ted s
June 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
welcome Arch, freindly and helpful folks here.

sunvalleylaw
June 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the fret!

Tone2TheBone
June 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Hey welcome to the Fret arch23!

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Welcome to TheFret! Tell us more about that Reverend Warhawk! And the Blues Junior! :DR

arch23
June 12th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I posted a review of the Warhawk.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=34482#post34482

I have the blues junior only 2 weeks, so it's to early for me to review it. But i did mentioned it in the review.

Leonidas
June 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM
welcome to The Fret Arch! Glad to have u. Yeah how is that blues junior? I've been staring at them on musicians friend ;)

arch23
June 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
welcome to The Fret Arch! Glad to have u. Yeah how is that blues junior? I've been staring at them on musicians friend ;)

currently i own the blues junior 2 weeks, so take in account my view can still change.
I like it allot. it can be loud but I found my settings for a reasonable volume. (personally, I wouldn't buy an amp without a master volume). It may be that my ears are not that experienced, but I don't find the speaker that bad. I can understand where people are coming from when they say it is boxy sounding, but it doesn't bother me. It's a small amp and it's not a blackface or a vibrolux. I like the bj for what it is, and I don't think about modding it.
I like the fact it is has a single channel and I can achieve dynamics with the guitar volume. lately my ideology is - keep it simple (after years of tweaking mfx units, i'm sick of it. even a pedal with more than 3 knobs can annoy me...). Pedals are needed if you want more than the mild overdrive (also depends on your guitar pickups), but it takes my pedals very well and that's good for me.
I would prefer an effect loop but I'm going to add delay if at all, so no biggie - if it's after the OD pedals.
It's a blues junior. the name says it all. I like it for it's price and also beyond that.

R_of_G
June 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Welcome aboard Arch. This place is a wealth of great information and cool people. So if I ever travel to Israel as I'd like to, can I play the Warhawk? That is such a cool guitar!

arch23
June 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM
R_of_G - sure :) Just give me a call.

R_of_G
June 15th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Nice.:cool:
If you ever travel to the west coast of Florida, I have a Gibson ES-135 that I just re-strung with ribbon-wound strings that everyone I know that plays loves to jam with. Since I now have a sweet Warhawk reserved for a jam in Israel, conside the Gibson yours to play if ever you come to this area of the world.

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Shalom Ori! I've been remiss welcoming newcomers as I am one myself, but what the heck.

Good group here.

Did you know that JRR Tolkein named a dwarf after you?

:D

arch23
June 30th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Shalom Ori! I've been remiss welcoming newcomers as I am one myself, but what the heck.

Good group here.

Did you know that JRR Tolkein named a dwarf after you?

:D
He did? LOL
I admit I haven't read any of his books...

Thanks Brian. A warm welcome back at you... :)

Brian Krashpad
June 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM
He did? LOL
I admit I haven't read any of his books...

Thanks Brian. A warm welcome back at you... :)

Yes, in his early book The Hobbit there are several dwarf characters with rhyming names. One group are Ori, Dori, and Nori, if I recall correctly.

They are fun books if you are into that sort of thing, though The Lord of The Rings is very long. For what it is worth, the movie version of LotR is very good and pretty true to the books.