PDA

View Full Version : Did our idols need a teacher? Opinion...

Jimi75
June 12th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Okay Fretties,

some couple months ago I was reading some guitar magazine, or was it a book about....anyway, somebody said that he thinks that Jimi Hendrix and SRV were at a point with their playing where they needed a teacher to show them more or new stuff so that they can develop further and not step on the same step for a long time.

I took my time thinking about it, although I had my problems to imagine Jimi or SRV sitting there with a guitar teacher.

I come to the conclusion that both players were cut in life too early and had no chance to move on. If I listen to First Rays Of The New Rising Sun or In Step I hear lots of new approaches in songwriting and also new ways in the singing. Jimi played more funky and Stevie had a warmer sound.

What would a teacher have showed them? arpeggios, licks, theory?

This is just my 2 cents, what's your opinion on that?

elavd
June 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Yes they do. Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5OHPgne1S4

:D:D

Big_Rob
June 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Joe Satriani was Steve Vai and Kirk Hammets teacher.

Spudman
June 12th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I've read interviews in past issues of Guitar Player magazine in which the artist said that while on tour they would sometimes seek out a teacher if they had time while they were in what ever town they were in at the time.

Who knows what some great player could be taught? The fact that they realize that they still have things they want to learn shows a great deal of dedication to their art.

I've noticed this in particular in Chris Duarte. At one time he became fed up with just playing blues licks and became obsessed with Coltrane and McLaughlin to the point he got many of their licks down. This certainly broadened his musical spectrum. Whether he took any lessons I don't know.

I think it's all about growth and being able to express yourself in more than one way. Sort of like learning another language.

marnold
June 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Randy Rhoads was taking classical guitar lessons. Dave Mustaine was largely self-taught until he hurt his arm and had to relearn everything. He had a teacher come in to teach him some theory and mainly to get him back to where he had been previously. I don't know if they took lessons but the Beatles would visit with people from Bob Dylan to Ravi Shankar and incorporate things they learned from them all of the time.

Jimi75
June 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I would like to underline that taking lessons is a good thing.
My thought in the case of Jimi and SRV especially was that they still had a great output and for me they have not reached the point where they had to take lessons. Listen to their last outputs....pure creativity - they often said that they want to move on with their sound and they did.

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I don't know enough about technique or have enough chops to say if any of my guitar heroes were tapped out on their current skills. But from what I can tell, guys like Jimi and SRV play for the love of it, and so I would think they would continue to learn for that reason alone, from a lot of sources including other guitarists, other musicians, etc. I am not sure, and would not presume to know, whether they would have sought out instructors, but I am willing to bet they would seek out learning from somewhere.

Robert
June 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
They might have enjoyed a good teacher, I am sure, but did they need one? In my opinion, clearly no.

I do think they would have enjoyed learning about jazz harmony and other things, if they had the right teacher. On the other hand, they might not have had the patience to work through stuff like that. After all, the were doing pretty good already! :DR

R_of_G
June 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM
If you don't already have it, try to get yourselves a copy of Jimi's 1969 jam with modal jazz organist Larry Young, and you will hear that Jimi was on the path to new forms of guitar expression before his life ended. Could have he benefitted from a teacher? Sure, who couldn't? But did he "need" one, not to my ears. His play with Larry Young is an interesting experience, unique from his play with the Experience or B.O.G. or Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell [my fav incarnation]. Highly recc to all.

333maxwell
June 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Okay Fretties,

some couple months ago I was reading some guitar magazine, or was it a book about....anyway, somebody said that he thinks that Jimi Hendrix and SRV were at a point with their playing where they needed a teacher to show them more or new stuff so that they can develop further and not step on the same step for a long time.

I took my time thinking about it, although I had my problems to imagine Jimi or SRV sitting there with a guitar teacher.

I come to the conclusion that both players were cut in life too early and had no chance to move on. If I listen to First Rays Of The New Rising Sun or In Step I hear lots of new approaches in songwriting and also new ways in the singing. Jimi played more funky and Stevie had a warmer sound.

What would a teacher have showed them? arpeggios, licks, theory?

This is just my 2 cents, what's your opinion on that?

________

Hard for some to suggest, that when Jimi was out late at night Jamming with John Mclaughlin and trying to set up dates with Miles.. that that is not a 'lesson' unto it's self.

I suppose he coulda set down with Segovia for a spell.. but he was certainly all about exploring and seemingly transcending beyond 'needing schooled'.

Heck, if Hendrix leared efficency on guitar, that woulda kinda ripped away his whole schtick?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362

Jimi75
June 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Heck, if Hendrix leared efficency on guitar, that woulda kinda ripped away his whole schtick?

CĂ–RRECT!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362[/QUOTE]