PDA

View Full Version : Warhawk HB (bolt model)

arch23
June 12th, 2007, 04:41 AM
duhvoodooman asked for more info, so I thought I'll write a review of the warhawk hb.
I wasn't so excited about this model first. In fact I thought it was ugly... there different revernds that I put my eye on. I went to the local dealer but he didn't have the model i wanted, but he did have a cream warhawk. i played with it, tought it sounded good, comfortable but still ugly. went home and after a few hours I knew I had to have the warhawk. The reversed head that annoyed me so much seemed brilliant, the body shape and the beautiful black.

This warhawk (korean made) is a bolt model which is no longer being built. The new models are set neck. I feel the warhawk is a combination between a fender and a gibson. Inspired by the firebird, jaguar, jazzmaster, mustang and such. light although the body is solid mahogany (one piece, I'm quite sure). The neck is C shaped, finished lightly - this bought me and is very comfortable and let's your hand slide easily.
The finish of the guitar is flawless, I couldn't any defect. The guitar goes from the factory back to Reverened US for inspection and a set up. Out of the box, after the the long transatlantic journey to Israel, it played great. Although I replaced the SIT strings (0.10) quickly. didn't like them at all. After 2-3 week the guitar developed a fret buzz due to the string change and climate changes. I solved it at first with the truss rod, but then it returned and became worse. I sent to tech then made things right, but also raised the 1st string at the nut. I guess that's a bad point for reverend here. Now it plays great again.
The EZ-lok Wilkinson tuners keep the strings in tune well, but it takes time to start changing strings fast.
The 2 humbucker pickups are Reverend original, and sound great. Balanced, and produce a round pleasant sound. The bass switch is a cool feature. I won't turn a humbucker to a single but the effect is noticeable and let's you expand the sound range of the guitar.
The mid section of the body is raised, which yields sustain and lot's of it. The fender scale neck combined with the mahogany and humbucker gives a brighter sound. But I didn't find it too bright, especially with the blues junior, which everyone finds darker the usual.

To sum things up I would say that for about 650$ this guitar is fantastic. Made from quality materials and hardware, finished very well, comfortable (for me) and sound great. I love the way it looks and the fact that it is not another start or les paul.
Very versatile in sound and the pickups, which are many times the weak part in "not expensive" guitar, really shines.
That's it, hope to upload few clips soon.
Ori

duhvoodooman
June 12th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Thanks, Ori! Lots of good comments and insights there. I've never had a chance to play a Reverend, but hope to do so someday soon! They seem to be great guitars for the money.

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the report Ori. Is that fret buzz an issue with Revs? I hate fret buzz.

arch23
June 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the report Ori. Is that fret buzz an issue with Revs? I hate fret buzz.

I don't think Reverend guitars suffer from fret buzz more than other guitars. most of the owners report they play on theirReverend out of the box, with out a set up.
Mine did quite a journey from Korea to the US to Israel. Got to me in the spring, and the whole thing started after a sudden drop in temperature after a warm couple of weeks. I guess these things can happen to a new guitar, under the circumstances.
The tech i took the guitar to said the action was too low and need to be raised a little. I still think the action is low and comfy, and as i said it plays great now.

Tone2TheBone
June 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM
That's a neat lookin' guitar I like the black body, humbuckers, rosewood neck and tort pickguard. I've played several models of Reverends and the bolt on necks are my fav. I haven't noticed any extreme fret buzz on the necks with moderate string heights.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I found this today. That bass contour knob is kinda cool. The more I look at that black beauty the more I feel G.A.S. coming on. That's the kind of guitar that would be the perfect candidate for Duhvoodooman's wiring mods!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6J4wX9x1A

kerc
June 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
No buzz on my Warhawk I. To add to Arch23's review, one of the coolest things of the 'Hawk HB is the very focused sound it keeps under heavy distortion. You can dial a lot of gain and it keeps its stuff in order. Way cool.