PDA

View Full Version : A little funk guitar lesson

Robert
June 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I made video about how to play funky guitar.

Check out my funk guitar lesson (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-55.php) and let me know your thoughts.

:R

marnold
June 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I must confess that I smiled quietly to myself when I heard you say in a Swedo-Canadian accent, "In order to play funky grooves like that . . ." Of course, I didn't expect you to morph into Bootsy Collins either :) Good stuff as always. My right hand technique could definitely use some work (no comments from the peanut gallery).

Are you doing something different with the recording of the guitar sounds? It sounds clearer/better. Not that it sounded bad before . . .

Jimi75
June 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Hello Robert,

I think the essence of your video only starts around 4:34 min. Let me explain my thought:

I figured out that so many people do not have the groove, because they do not understand the right hand technique. Whether you play a left hand lick or not does is not that important for first, if we are talking basics. Creating a percussive pattern with the right hand slowed down is where the basics start. Then for me after having the technique and getting used to the lose ankle movement, I would add a 7th chord, which implements the typical sound. Only after that a lick would follow. So if your lesson is determined for "beginners" I would make it a three part funk lesson, because the rather quick start of your video could be a little confusing to somebody who is not familiar with that technique.

As always, your sound with that new guitar is great and the funky stuff you play is pretty authentic sounding with a very good natural timing.

Robert
June 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Marnold - am I doing something different? Yes, I bought a new guitar! :)

Jimi, good suggestions. I figured the lesson as a whole could be useful since there's a lot of repetition in there.

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Jimi, good suggestions. I figured the lesson as a whole could be useful since there's a lot of repetition in there.

Great lessons and good comments. Jimi, you have steered me as to how I will approach the lesson. I had learned a "chuck" muting already, so I think I will play with the right hand stuff using the "chuck" and get comfortable before adding the notes. I think I will get less frustrated that way. I have been wanting to learn more about right hand and strum patterns and rhythms, and have been up to now pretty locked into a down, down, up, up, down 4/4 pattern, unless I do a 3/4 bluegrass/waltz type of thing. (that one is very basic. I remember 3/4 from my piano days, but am very basic at it). The next one I was going to try and master was a basic reggae, which I think would lead to this. Thanks guys! :)

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Whoa Robert!! That was one of your best. I like the time that you took to explain everything.

I think 8-15 minute lessons are great.

Killer funk playing, your new guitar sounds incredible.

Thanks!

Robert
June 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks Tot - glad to hear you dig it!

ted s
June 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Good stuff Robert, I appreciated the explanations and demo.

marnold
June 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
The recording sounded like you had the amp mic'd separately. Of course, judging from the fact that I can't see the amp, I assume it was closer to the camera.

Robert
June 13th, 2007, 08:35 AM
It wasn't any closer, maybe just at a different angle, or maybe the amp was louder, who knows.

R_of_G
June 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
excellent lesson robert.

funk players like leo nocentelli [the meters] or steve cropper [the mg's] show how a simple two-chord groove can open up so many possibilities rhythmically. i like the groove you got going in that lesson. plenty of room to jam on something like that.