PDA

View Full Version : Junk Yard Blues

333maxwell
June 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Glad I found this place..

It is neat to have a place to share some tunes and listen to others.

Here is one I finished up two days ago.. a lil electric blues study using an inexpensive modeler. I was trying to see how much I could milk tone from a 65 dollar box.

I would like to hear any comments, pro or con.

And with that, I think I will dance around the forum and listen to some of the others clips!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=676362

Tone2TheBone
June 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Very clean recording. Did you do the vocals as well? Welcome to the Fret. Introduce yourself in the fret players forum! :)

333maxwell
June 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Very clean recording. Did you do the vocals as well? Welcome to the Fret. Introduce yourself in the fret players forum! :)

Thanks, you are kind.

Yes, I did the vocals, Bass, guitars, drum patterns, etc...

I have no friends, no one to help.. *L*

I will hop over and introduce myself.. just been prowling around getting a feel for the place.

Thanks again.

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks, you are kind.

Yes, I did the vocals, Bass, guitars, drum patterns, etc...

I have no friends, no one to help.. *L*

I will hop over and introduce myself.. just been prowling around getting a feel for the place.

Thanks again.

Ah, this answers my question in your intro thread. I'll add another way coool.

I really like your stuff, thanks for dropping by & hanging out!

333maxwell
June 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Ah, this answers my question in your intro thread. I'll add another way coool.

I really like your stuff, thanks for dropping by & hanging out!

I appreciate the feedback.. I try and put something up on my page every 2-4 days.. As soon as I can put it to rest, it goes up on the page.

Thanks again!

Justaguyin_nc
June 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Nice job Maxwell... this is the reason I like thefret.net... hearing these tunes.. and seeing what people use to get those sounds.. You got a great sound there.. how did you put it all together?

Welcome to thefret.net

333maxwell
June 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Nice job Maxwell... this is the reason I like thefret.net... hearing these tunes.. and seeing what people use to get those sounds.. You got a great sound there.. how did you put it all together?

Welcome to thefret.net

There is no 'one method' I use..

If it is a song like Island or Trains, I just start playing and cross my fingers.

On something like Conan Blues or Carousel.. I create a Midi version of the song, then re-voice the instruments using VST's. Then drop the accompany parts on.

With something like Junk Yard Blues.. I create the drum patterns in midi, then trigger them with one hit drum samples.

So then I have my Drum section mostly all ready to go.. then drop on Bass, then guitar and vocals.

Afterwards I go in and add drum hits like cymbols etc that might embelish the guitar playing.

I use MOSTLy Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (which is almost an antique now) and I recently purchased a copy of Sony Music Studio as I have discovered 'vst's' Just recently, and certainly wanted to start using them.

I work in a very small corner on a laptop, and hardware synths take up too much room, so VST's were like manna from heaven.

Not to mention many are available for free.

For us hobbiests there are free VST hosts available, and VST plug ins, instruments and FX avaliable in abundance too.

I can certainly provide you with some links if you want to explore the hobbiests world of free VST goodys out there.

Mix down is just kind of a shot in the dark.

All this being said, these recording don't sound dramaticly different than stuff I was doing on 4 trk tape.. but it sure is quicker and easier working on the laptop.

aeolian
June 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I just listened to all your tunes on SoundClick and I have to tell you that you make wonderful music. I think you do outstanding vocals when I listened to the variety of vocals that you put down. The kind of Ry Cooder and JJ Cale vibe is very cool. You are a talented individual.

333maxwell
June 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I just listened to all your tunes on SoundClick and I have to tell you that you make wonderful music. I think you do outstanding vocals when I listened to the variety of vocals that you put down. The kind of Ry Cooder and JJ Cale vibe is very cool. You are a talented individual.

I have been having one of those 'everyone line up to kick me, i'm a hack) kinda days..

I really appreciate the kind words..

Thanks for the ear..

nice to meet ya.

FrankAxtell
June 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
great stuff ! really enjoyed listening to all your tunes.

333maxwell
June 13th, 2007, 09:39 PM
great stuff ! really enjoyed listening to all your tunes.

Thanks for the ear Frank!

I have been wanting (and trying) to check out some of the other folks stuft but the last 4 days i have been stuck on a landline that is maxing out at 14kbps.. it is horrid.. takes forever just to load a normal page.

I almost forgot how painful 'high speed' connections were a few years back.

I guess I should not complain too much, my original modem was a 2800 bps.

Took half a day to load a simple picture.. *L*

Robert
June 14th, 2007, 07:30 AM
That sounds awesome. Love the vibe of that song! Very cool!

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the ear Frank!

I have been wanting (and trying) to check out some of the other folks stuft but the last 4 days i have been stuck on a landline that is maxing out at 14kbps.. it is horrid.. takes forever just to load a normal page.

I almost forgot how painful 'high speed' connections were a few years back.

I guess I should not complain too much, my original modem was a 2800 bps.

Took half a day to load a simple picture.. *L*

That sounds like me at home. When I am able to spend time on the 'puter at home I try to listen to clips posted here but it takes FOH EVAH to download anything. I've missed so many clips that people post here and I'm sorry for that. They have a webblock on places like box.net at work so I can't even listen to anything but I've often asked people to email me some clips to my work address just so I can listen right then and there. At least I was able to listen to yours right away from soundclick. (Everyone change to soundclick!) Once again your tunes are fantastic and the quality is very good. Thanks for chiming in on our discussions too...you're no spammer trust me. ;)

333maxwell
June 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Your vary kind RObert.. Appreciate it!

333maxwell
June 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM

*L*

Let me try this again..

You are very kind Robert, thank you!

333maxwell
June 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
That sounds like me at home. When I am able to spend time on the 'puter at home I try to listen to clips posted here but it takes FOH EVAH to download anything. I've missed so many clips that people post here and I'm sorry for that. They have a webblock on places like box.net at work so I can't even listen to anything but I've often asked people to email me some clips to my work address just so I can listen right then and there. At least I was able to listen to yours right away from soundclick. (Everyone change to soundclick!) Once again your tunes are fantastic and the quality is very good. Thanks for chiming in on our discussions too...you're no spammer trust me. ;)

Thanks for the feedback..

I only found Soundclick several weeks ago.. of all the places I was looking to upload to, it had the best format I could find..

I LOVE the lo-fi link ability.. not everyone has the connection speed, or the patience to download a whole MP3 like some of the other sites have you doing.

Plus Soundclick has a good forum as well.. I learned everything I know about VST from curiously hitting a link about VST and having no clue what they were..

I am really glad I found that link.. I was sitting on the potential for some good keyboard sounds, and never even had a clue they were there.

Jamie O
June 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Wow, this sounds so good....your playing is really good, and pretty distintive too! nice work maxwell!

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Wow, this sounds so good....your playing is really good, and pretty distintive too! nice work maxwell!

No kidding. It looks like we've got another recruit for The Fret CD, eh Robert?

Robert
June 14th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, sounds great! I know I need to get going on the CD project... have faith, brethren.

333maxwell
June 16th, 2007, 07:12 PM

thanks.. appreciate the ear!