PDA

View Full Version : Squeak

Tone2TheBone
June 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I thought of putting this in Robert's hearing thread. Sorry no youtube links here though.

Ok for years I thought I was going crazy cause everytime I heard Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Loving You" I was hearing this squeak.....squeak.....

Stolen from Wikipedia -
..."Ten Years Gone" is a song by English rock band Led Zeppelin from their 1975 album Physical Graffiti. Originally intended to be an instrumental piece, Jimmy Page used some 14 guitar tracks to overdub the harmony section. Robert Plant later added lyrics, which are dedicated to an old girlfriend who, ten years earlier, had made him choose either her or his music.

This is one of the few Led Zeppelin songs in which it is possible to hear the squeak of John Bonham's bass drum pedal in the recording studio, the others being "Since I've Been Loving You" from 1970's Led Zeppelin III, "The Ocean" from 1973's Houses of the Holy, and "Bonzo's Montreux" from 1982's Coda."....

Ah ok. Cool I'm alright. :p

SuperSwede
June 13th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Ahrm.... I dont think that I´ve ever noticed that. Send me a clip, I only have that album on LP (and no vinyl player)

Jimi75
June 13th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I have never heard that squeak, but it is cool that you mention it so I am going to listen to that particular song with my ears wide open to hear it!

I love it when one can hear such things on records...

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Ahrm.... I dont think that I´ve ever noticed that. Send me a clip, I only have that album on LP (and no vinyl player)

I don't own that one either and have not noticed it. I love hearing things like that though. Swede, have you moved any on buying the USB turntable yet? I was thinking I would just get an iMic to put between my old Technics and a computer.

SuperSwede
June 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I don't own that one either and have not noticed it. I love hearing things like that though. Swede, have you moved any on buying the USB turntable yet? I was thinking I would just get an iMic to put between my old Technics and a computer.

No USB turntable yet, but its definately going to happen. I really want to convert all my LP´s to MP3 before its too late.

Tone2TheBone
June 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I have the track from the LZ Remaster set. The one with the amber Zeppelin flying over crop circles.

You can clearly hear the squeak squeak at the beginning of Jimmy's opening blues lick of "Since I've Been Loving You". It sounds as if you're playing an old cassette and the deck is the one making the squeaking sound as it spins. Apparently it's Bonzo's bass drum pedal. I should try and sample a snippet of it but I don't want to violate any copyright laws either. Just go out and find it and listen for yourselves. :)

I wasn't aware of it being on the other tracks mentioned in that article but I'm going to investigate! I was listening to "Ten Years Gone" yesterday off of the Destroyer bootleg and did a Wiki search on that tune and I stumbled on the squeaky revelation.

Robert
June 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Open this file in Windows Media Player:
mms://sg5.allmusic.com/018wma_28/s101/s10148/s1014813/s101481307c959x.wma

Is the squeak there? I can't hear it, since I'm half DEAF.

Tone2TheBone
June 13th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Open this file in Windows Media Player:
mms://sg5.allmusic.com/018wma_28/s101/s10148/s1014813/s101481307c959x.wma

Is the squeak there? I can't hear it, since I'm half DEAF.

That's a really bad recording of it but yes you can still faintly hear it. It's in between each bass drum hit. I just listened to the remasters track on my iPod and you can hear it clear as day throughout the entire beginning up until Pagey kicks in the overdrive. Listen to the part after Robert sings..."I've really been the best....(squeak)...the best of fools....(squeak.....squeak)" You can hear it easier after he sings that part and it's just the drums and Jimmy's guitar playing. It's in the frequency range that you failed on your hearing test though Robert. Really high upper end little bird chirp range.

SuperSwede
June 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I´m having a hard time hearing it too... I have a little tinnitus so that might be the problem tho.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I´m having a hard time hearing it too... I have a little tinnitus so that might be the problem tho.

Occasionally my ears will ring outta the blue. You guys know how I love high frequencies in my playing too...but you'd think after years of blasting music and amps I'd be deaf. I can still hear very high frequencies though...it's the middle range that I have trouble with. The squeak is there my friend...listen to it from a CD the quality is much better. I'll post something when I've heard it on the other tracks.