PDA

View Full Version : Playing during thunderstorms

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Do you continue to play your electric guitars & basses while there is lightning? I shut everything down for fear of damage or electrocution.

I should get an acoustic guitar (or a banjo or a mandolin or a uke).

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I go out and put up a lightning rod and play something maniacal that reminds one of "Something Wicked this Way Comes". :DR

Nah, but we do get a lot and bigger T-storms here than in Tacoma/Seattle. Never really thought about it or considered it an issue. Someone with good electrical experience may be able to shed some light.

And yes, you should get a nice acoustic. Just because. ;)

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
And yes, you should get a nice acoustic. Just because. ;)
I agree...someday. ;)

WackyT
June 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Anyone seen the movie "Young Einstein"?

333maxwell
June 12th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Do you continue to play your electric guitars & basses while there is lightning? I shut everything down for fear of damage or electrocution.

I should get an acoustic guitar (or a banjo or a mandolin or a uke).

It's good policy to turn off everything electrical to avoid damage to your equipment from power spikes.

Tube amps and Modelers, computers especialy.

Ukes are great.. I own a few in various sizes.

I love my old baritone and string and tune it like a Soprano.

You should get one..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362

Spudman
June 12th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I've lost functions of some gear because of an electrical spike and lightening hit. Kind of bummed me out. Now I just turn stuff off for a while...cause I'm cheap...and scared. I've had a bolt hit about 7 feet from me.

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Good to know, Spud and 333Maxwell. I've got the acoustic so might as well use it.

ShortBuSX
June 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I live in Florida, often times it feels like the lightning capital of the world.
I dont really understand what the big deal is, if youre turned off or on during a lightning storm? Ive got surge protectors on ALL of my electronics because I do understand that lightning does damage, I hear about it regularly.
BUT that said, I still dont understand the logic "on or off?"...if its plugged into the wall its still prone to damage, and its not like you go around unplugging every appliance during a storm...and Id be more concerned with the fridge or the entertainment center. Sometimes if its storming really bad and the power goes out(it usually will do so a couple of times in a row around here) then I will turn off whatever electronics Im using, but thats usually because I dont like to watch stuff power down and then back up repeatedly...but to be honest with you, if Im watching TV and Im into I will continue to watch reguardless...I might be stupid, but with a surge protector I feel safe...and with a battery back up Id have no fear.

marnold
June 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I unplug my computers and disconnect the cable modem whenever there's major lightning activity. Having surge protection is good, but a direct lightning strike will blow through anything. Even if it's off, it will arc. Of course, if I find the need to play in a storm, I just run my guitar through my overdrive pedal and into my headphones.

Robert
June 13th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I just bring out my acoustic and start playing "Stormy Weather"... :D

Tone2TheBone
June 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Lightning scares the &%#@ out of me. Everything stays off. I'll play unplugged though since the acoustics are in their cases most of the time. I'm still interested in getting a mandolin though. After seeing Nancy play "Battle of Evermore" I want one.

SuperSwede
June 14th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Lightning scares the &%#@ out of me. Everything stays off. I'll play unplugged though since the acoustics are in their cases most of the time. I'm still interested in getting a mandolin though. After seeing Nancy play "Battle of Evermore" I want one.

You should get a electric mandolin! Just keep it unplugged during a thunderstorm :) (or plug it in to your mini-marshall)

http://www.pinrepair.com/vgi/gone/58_mandocaster_1.jpg
Fender mandolin