PDA

View Full Version : Hughes & K. Super attractive new amp!

Jimi75
June 13th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Hey friends,

Has anyone of you already heard about the new full tube STATESMAN series from Hughes and Kettner?

Check out this video:
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/cinema.php?id=23

The price range is 590-720USD approx.

I think this is a fantastic amp series and the best value for price I have recently seen.

Lovely, guess this thing will be mine (hopefully).....soon....

SuperSwede
June 13th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Hughes & Kettner has always made good sounding amps.. I fondly remember my Attax 80 combo. This one looks (and sounds) just right.

Spudman
June 13th, 2007, 06:55 PM
After watching the clip I couldn't quit thinking about this amp all day. It's got me twitterpated...eh, amperpated.

Robert
June 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Sounds great, that amp. The price is right - what a steal! If I didn't already have a combo, I'd be all over that one.

tot_Ou_tard
June 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
WOW!!! Jaw drop...I got ta dig up WackyT's droolies....:D :DR :R

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Spud was telling me today I needed to check this thread out. That is a NICE sounding and looking amph!

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Man I am a bit smitten with that thing. Does anyone know which model Statesman he was playing? The link says Dual EL84, but I thought I heard him say quad. I had not seen the vid all the way through and missed the strat section the first time I watched. The clean demo with the strat just about melted me.

Spudman
June 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM
It looks like the single 12 model. Look how his foot compares to the front of the amp. It doesn't look like there is room for 2 12" speakers, but it could be.

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
According to this site:

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/amps/statesman_tube_amps/

there are 4 H&K Statesman amps:

20 watt Dual EL84 in a 1 x 12 cab,
40 watt quad EL84 in a 1 x 12 cab,
60 watt dual 6L6 in a 2 x 12 cab,
50 watt dual EL34 head.

So he could have indeed been playing the quad EL84 1 x 12.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM
..."not allowed to play any louder cause...their video director would get cross with me...." LMAO

Not too shabby of an amp. Very nice I was impressed. Has more than enough saturation and the harmonics are wonderful. Nice lookin' unit too.

SuperSwede
June 14th, 2007, 09:43 AM
..."not allowed to play any louder cause...their video director would get cross with me...." LMAO

Not too shabby of an amp. Very nice I was impressed. Has more than enough saturation and the harmonics are wonderful. Nice lookin' unit too.

Yeah, H & K designs are usually very nice! I had one of these babys, its a wicked hybrid combo. Very good sound, I will probably get another one of these one day. We sold a lot of these when I was working in a music store.
http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/hughes-kettner-attax-80.jpg

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 10:36 AM
You gotta love that logo script too.

Jimi75
June 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It was the quad, I think he said so in the beginning of the video.
Cool that you guys like that amp. I really think about it every day and watch the video......what a treasure.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM
It was the quad, I think he said so in the beginning of the video.
Cool that you guys like that amp. I really think about it every day and watch the video......what a treasure.

Ya, I heard that too. But when I clicked the "More Info" link, the Dual EL84 came up. That was why I was confused.

EDIT: I went back in and listened and he definately said a Quad El-84. That rocks! :DR

I had not been aware of him before. Great funny guy and really fun player to listen to. I am going to search YouTube for him.

t_ross33
June 14th, 2007, 01:38 PM
After watching the clip I couldn't quit thinking about this amp all day. It's got me twitterpated...eh, amperpated.

+1

And I think the term is "amputated" :D

You guys HAVE to stop doing this to me! I'm moving in a couple of weeks and can't afford this much GAS!

"But Honey, Alex Lifeson of Rush plays H&K amps, and you KNOW Rush is my favorite band in the whole wide world!" Yeah, I can see that going over real well :rolleyes:

Trev

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM
....."But Honey, Alex Lifeson of Rush plays H&K amps, and you KNOW Rush is my favorite band in the whole wide world!" Yeah, I can see that going over real well :rolleyes:

Trev

But it would be true though. She's gotta admire you for that. :)

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM
+1

And I think the term is "amputated" :D

You guys HAVE to stop doing this to me! I'm moving in a couple of weeks and can't afford this much GAS!

"But Honey, Alex Lifeson of Rush plays H&K amps, and you KNOW Rush is my favorite band in the whole wide world!" Yeah, I can see that going over real well :rolleyes:

Trev

I spoke to Spud and re-affirmed that my amp is all I need and more right now. But, that doesn't mean I can't put it on the add list for down the line when other family necessities have been taken care of. Is there such a thing as GAS in moderation?! :p

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I spoke to Spud and re-affirmed that my amp is all I need and more right now. But, that doesn't mean I can't put it on the add list for down the line when other family necessities have been taken care of. Is there such a thing as GAS in moderation?! :p

What you need to do is stop buying $2000 bikes and start using that money toward music young man! :p

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
What you need to do is stop buying $2000 bikes and start using that money toward music young man! :p

Now recall the list price was 2K, but that was not nearly what I paid. Now what were those fly rods running? ;) :p

Too bad, I couldn't find any good recordings of Geoffry on YouTube or otherwise other than a 2006 H&K tour. He seems a good bloke and fun to listen to.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
He's a crack up. I think Brit's are hilarious. They have a funny way of putting things.

Edited to add real content: Geoff said something interesting towards the end of the video when he switched on the boost and drive on the Strat. He said that "a Stratocaster is not really supposed to sound like that." That's how I perceive the Strat on some of the models when I use the higher gain amps on the POD. H&K seems to have achieved that tonal creamyness and enhancement that modern technology and modern amplifiers can offer. You don't even have to turn the overdrive all the way up to get those harmonics burning.

abraxas
November 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I recently developed some serious GAS about the Statesman Quad EL84 :drool:

If all goes according to plan, I will be a proud owner by the end of the month. :D

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I recently developed some serious GAS about the Statesman Quad EL84 :drool:

If all goes according to plan, I will be a proud owner by the end of the month. :D

Can't wait to hear about it. I linked this thread to the dream amph thread because I still GAS about it, or the Dual EL84. I could not quite tell which one he was playing in the first part of the vid before he switched to the club. At the club, I think he clearly states he is using the Quad. :Dude: :drool:

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM

I am still in this boat, but the GAS for it has not gone away. I re-read, and think it is a Quad that he demonstrated throughout. That could be a dream amp for me, for in addition to my C-30. I bet it would be pretty hard to play a Quad reasonably at house volumes after the kids are in bed. :rotflmao:

abraxas
November 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Well, it has a master volume that seems to work ok. Apart from that I'm planning on using my Hotplate with this amp also.

I prefer the Quad over the Dual because I believe the extra headroom is really there and the Quad is rather closer to the Bassman (clean) / JTM45 (dirty) standards, tonewise.

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Well, it has a master volume that seems to work ok. Apart from that I'm planning on using my Hotplate with this amp also.

I prefer the Quad over the Dual because I believe the extra headroom is really there and the Quad is rather closer to the Bassman (clean) / JTM45 (dirty) standards, tonewise.

That sounds great! I have never seen one in person and have only seen the vid above. Would love to one of these days. Keep us updated!

LagrangeCalvert
November 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
dammit.....stop the GAS people!

Adrian30
November 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Keep us posted, Abrax. I am interested in getting a good quality tube amp. The way I have been GASing:messedup: , I know it'll happen soon.:AOK:

Tone2TheBone
November 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Dang I smell GAS bad in here whewwwww.

250Keith
November 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I just went back and watched that vid agian, that amp sounds great!
I wonder how many amps I can fit In my small room!

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hey friends,

Has anyone of you already heard about the new full tube STATESMAN series from Hughes and Kettner?

I think this is a fantastic amp series and the best value for price I have recently seen.

All this shopping for the 20th Edition 20W put me in mind of this one again. I had not seen it for sale anywhere in the states until just recently when I found this http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Hughes-Stateman-EL84-Quad.html

I sure wish it was at the price you were thinking Jimi, instead of almost double. Hmm.

oldguy
November 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Statesman-Series-STM-Dual-EL84-20W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482099

Now in stock, about 30 min. away from where I work............
anybody want me to pick one up for them?

:rotflmao:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Statesman-Series-STM-Quad-EL84-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483013

for another hundred this one can be had........

:whatever:

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'll take that Quad EL84. That would be quite an amph, I think.

stingx
November 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Sounds great but I am still more than happy with my current selection.

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Sounds great but I am still more than happy with my current selection.

Yeah, you are completely right. My C-30 does plenty well also. Still, fun to window shop.

Jipes
November 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hey friends,

Check out this video:
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/cinema.php?id=23

Really looks like a great small amp for gigging :AOK:

Jimi75
November 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Well, in approx. six month we wil move into our new rehearsing location. So I have another 6 month to make up my mind which amph to buy. The Statesman is still one of my favourites, sounds great and delivers a wide range of sounds.

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Well, in approx. six month we wil move into our new rehearsing location. So I have another 6 month to make up my mind which amph to buy. The Statesman is still one of my favourites, sounds great and delivers a wide range of sounds. If I were in that setting and wanted a bit bigger gigging amph, I think that it would be top of the list, right up near a 4x10 Bassman. I am thinking this Quad may be a bit more versatile than the Bassman. Not that I have played through either. Maybe someday, but I don't really need that much amph in a second amph. First would be a small practice one to haul around in the back of the car, like either a Blackheart or a modeler.