PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix & Larry Young

R_of_G
June 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM
In 1969, Jimi played with modal jazz organist Larry Young. I mentioned this 1969 jam session at the Record Plant in another post about where Jimi's playing was heading around the time of his death. The jazz idiom really freed up Jimi's playing, and it would have been interesting to hear (1) how he would have brought these ideas into his songwriting, and (b) what he would have sounded like playing with Miles and Sonny Sharrock. If you can find yourself a copy of this, get it. It's a chance to hear some of the places Jimi might have taken his playing had he lived longer.

333maxwell
June 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
In 1969, Jimi played with modal jazz organist Larry Young. I mentioned this 1969 jam session at the Record Plant in another post about where Jimi's playing was heading around the time of his death. The jazz idiom really freed up Jimi's playing, and it would have been interesting to hear (1) how he would have brought these ideas into his songwriting, and (b) what he would have sounded like playing with Miles and Sonny Sharrock. If you can find yourself a copy of this, get it. It's a chance to hear some of the places Jimi might have taken his playing had he lived longer.

Ya, Jimi checked out of the building WAY too soon.

Absolutly he was headed for new musical territorys and likely would of carved a few too..

Instead he had to go and die and leave us with the likes of Barry Manilow, the Bee Gee's and Abba to dominate music in the ensuing decade that followed.

After Jimi died we can probably thank guys like Eddie Van Halen for helping to revitalize Rock and Roll in the early/mid 70's.

Much as we can also thank SRV for popping his head in the door and yanking people back into roots music and away from New Age MTV bands and Bands like Duran Duran, Flock of Seaguls and the police as mainstays.

R_of_G
June 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Instead he had to go and die and leave us with the likes of Barry Manilow, the Bee Gee's and Abba to dominate music in the ensuing decade that followed.

What saddens me most is that Jimi and Miles both wanted to play together, and hearing what Miles did from 1970-75 tells me Jimi would have fit into Miles' groove in a heartbeat. Between that era of Miles, the real blossoming of the Waters/Gilmour songwriting duo [ie. from Meddle to Animals], and the Ramones, the 70's provide more than enough rockin' guitar for me. And I didn't even mention Frank Zappa...

That said, I know exactly what you mean

333maxwell
June 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
What saddens me most is that Jimi and Miles both wanted to play together, and hearing what Miles did from 1970-75 tells me Jimi would have fit into Miles' groove in a heartbeat. Between that era of Miles, the real blossoming of the Waters/Gilmour songwriting duo [ie. from Meddle to Animals], and the Ramones, the 70's provide more than enough rockin' guitar for me. And I didn't even mention Frank Zappa...

That said, I know exactly what you mean

Yes.. I didn't mean to be a 'glass is half empty' kinda guy.

*G*

R_of_G
June 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yes.. I didn't mean to be a 'glass is half empty' kinda guy.

*G*

Of course not, and there are plenty of things about music from the 70's that make one think the glass was a lot more than half emptied at that point. truth be told it's the 80's i have a hard time stomaching. luckily during the 80's i had plenty of music from before that to listen to.

tot_Ou_tard
June 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM
And I didn't even mention Frank Zappa...

Yes you did...& well you should!

Jimi75
June 14th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Jimi was very interseted in Jazz, but he was way to "free" to become a true Jazz cat. What I think is that Jimi played completely different in a Jazz surrounding. To me he played in a more behaved manner, cleaner - which I totally dig, too.

A fantastic piece of music is South Saturn Delta - on that song he plays with a horn section. I wish he had the time to put out a whole record with that ensemble.

R_of_G
June 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Jimi was very interseted in Jazz, but he was way to "free" to become a true Jazz cat. What I think is that Jimi played completely different in a Jazz surrounding. To me he played in a more behaved manner, cleaner - which I totally dig, too.

A fantastic piece of music is South Saturn Delta - on that song he plays with a horn section. I wish he had the time to put out a whole record with that ensemble.

I wouldn't write off Jimi's jazz play as too "behaved" just yet. Find the jam with Larry Young and you will hear "jazz" in so much as Jimi is jamming modally, but there is nothing "behaved" about it, it rocks as hard as jimi can rock.