PDA

View Full Version : Golf

Big K
June 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
any guitar slingers who chase that little white ball? My index is currently at 12.2

tot_Ou_tard
June 13th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Never was very interested in Golf. But then again, I've never played. I'd probably become addicted to the combination of zen & power as you try to

*WHACK*

a tiny little ball with a pole forty gazillion miles

just so

that it lands in a equally tiny hole.

CRAZY

I'm very, very afraid. :D :p :D

t_ross33
June 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Can't say that I golf, but try to get a few rounds in here and there. Not sure what my handicap would be anymore...

My wife is the Food and Beverage Services Manager at our local Golf Club. That's supposed to translate into "Free Golf" but neither of us has much time for it in the summer, and winters are way to freakin' cold up here when we do have some spare time. Go figure.

We do cross country ski on groomed trails at the golf course in winter months - does that count? :rolleyes:

Jimi75
June 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Okay, every year on holiday I make excatly the same golf course with the same teacher - it is a three days 4 hours a day/morning in a row course.

Then I forget everything and the next year I start all over again :-)

Golfing is fun - pure fun, but I do not have the time nor the money to do it on a regular base. Here in Germany it is very very expensive to play golf.

Brian Krashpad
June 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Closest I've come to golf (besides miniature golf) was selling drinks on the course from a cart when I was 18.

Apparently it's bad form to shout "Hey, anybody thirsty?" as someone is about to putt.

Robert
June 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I golf through my work (mostly for networking) a few times per year. I am terrible at it.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Can't say that I golf, but try to get a few rounds in here and there. Not sure what my handicap would be anymore...

We do cross country ski on groomed trails at the golf course in winter months - does that count? :rolleyes:

We XC on SV's beautiful course here too. My wife and I took lessons pre-marriage and kids. I really enjoyed the discipline of it and learned quite a bit from it about how I approach things. I am much more successful when I don't try too hard or over-muscle it and somehow relax and flow into correct technique. That carries over to a lot of things, and I was talking to Spud about how it carries over to guitar. But back to golf, I now golf once a year or so for fun more as a networking thing or related to work. Kids and life put it in the back seat. I play with the understanding (by my request) that if I am holding up the foursome, I will just pick up and move along. That takes the pressure off and I can enjoy it. I also learned a few years ago with my Dad (he rented me two really nice bags of clubs down in Palm Desert when we golfed two courses there) how much gear can affect that game. Talk about GAS!

I might try to go back to it more in 10 years or so. It is expensive!

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 09:11 AM
God I have too many other expensive hobbies to get into golfing.....

duhvoodooman
June 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I never played until my dad retired. He took it up to play with some of his friends, then I started playing to play with him. We both sucked pretty much, but we sure enjoyed getting out together. We'd play 10 or 12 times each season there for several years. My dad passed away in '95, and I've only played a handful of times since. Guess I enjoyed it more for his company than for the game itself....

marnold
June 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I've played a few times. I tend to agree with Mark Twain: "A good walk, spoiled."

Spudman
June 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM
God I have too many other expensive hobbies to get into golfing.....

It doesn't have to be that way.

Years ago I invented a game called "Rock Golf." It is played in high alpine basins with...you guessed it...rocks!

What you do is: each player searches for a skull sized rock - each player then takes a belt out of the bottle - the group then decides on the par and the target for the first "hole" (which is a usually large boulder that your "skull" must end on top of) - each player takes a belt from the bottle - play commences.

A foul line is drawn in the dirt at each tee and players can hurl their skull in any manner they chose but cannot cross the foul line - a belt is then taken from the bottle.

This process is repeated around the basin or meadow until people start hurling their skulls at each other - a belt is then taken from the bottle and play ends.

Totally free! The bottle is usually donated.:)

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM
It doesn't have to be that way.

Years ago I invented a game called "Rock Golf." It is played in high alpine basins with...you guessed it...rocks!

What you do is: each player searches for a skull sized rock - each player then takes a belt out of the bottle - the group then decides on the par and the target for the first "hole" (which is a usually large boulder that your "skull" must end on top of) - each player takes a belt from the bottle - play commences.

A foul line is drawn in the dirt at each tee and players can hurl their skull in any manner they chose but cannot cross the foul line - a belt is then taken from the bottle.

This process is repeated around the basin or meadow until people start hurling their skulls at each other - a belt is then taken from the bottle and play ends.

Totally free! The bottle is usually donated.:)

That sounds like something we "attempted" once in elk camp years ago. It would be a hoot with you guys. :DR

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Get on up here and let's do 'er!