PDA

View Full Version : I'm debating.....

pes_laul
June 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Right now i play a squire affinity strat from the 80s or so and i'm getting a new guitar soon i'm a gibson les paul guy my self but im not pulling that kinda of cash and i was wondering would a epiphone be out of the hand for a nice guitar ;)

333maxwell
June 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Right now i play a squire affinity strat from the 80s or so and i'm getting a new guitar soon i'm a gibson les paul guy my self but im not pulling that kinda of cash and i was wondering would a epiphone be out of the hand for a nice guitar ;)

Well. Les Paul himself has been quoted as saying that he wouldn't let his name on them go unchallenged if he didn't think they were a fine guitar.

Only thing a decent end Epi will short you on is electronics..

You will likely want to replace the pups down the road.

Epi, new pups, new tuners.. a perfectly playable beast at less than half the price of a Paul.

Thats my opinion anwyas.

One note, all Epis are not created equal.. as with Squire they both have their upper and lower end pieces.

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Seems to me that Epiphone is turning out some pretty amazing guitars these days. I've played a few LP's recently that were great guitars and pretty tempting. As with any guitar though, choose wisely.

Tone2TheBone
June 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I couldn't agree more. After hearing about Voodoo's new acquisition I've acquired more G.A.S. for another Les Paul. It could very well be another Epi. Those Gold Tops are really nice looking.

Spudman
June 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have two Epi Les Pauls. The most recent is a made in China birdseye limited edition. It needs nothing changed on it. I think the new ones are just fine, but certainly play them before you buy if you can. It's best to find one that you fall in love with.

The other one I have is a late 90's made in Korea. These you would have to find used but are probably worth the effort...if you can play it first. Otherwise...you never know.

ET335
June 15th, 2007, 02:06 AM
You May want to take a look at this one on Musiciansfriend,it is a Epi Les Paul Custom.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518073

I recently recieved an order from them and they always throw in a close out flyer with the order.their regular price is 599.99 and now the close out price is 399.99.if you place an order.. call their toll free number and use the source code 706T you can get it for that price.For some odd reason it doesn't work when you place an order online,so just call them and do it that way if you decide this is what you may want.Not a bad deal!!.I am seriously thinking about getting one myself.

pes_laul
June 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
You May want to take a look at this one on Musiciansfriend,it is a Epi Les Paul Custom.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518073

I recently recieved an order from them and they always throw in a close out flyer with the order.their regular price is 599.99 and now the close out price is 399.99.if you place an order.. call their toll free number and use the source code 706T you can get it for that price.For some odd reason it doesn't work when you place an order online,so just call them and do it that way if you decide this is what you may want.Not a bad deal!!.I am seriously thinking about getting one myself.
Have you played a epi black beauty if so how does it sound and how does the pickup selector work?

ET335
June 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
no I have not played one of those Kris,but have played several other models of Epi's and some are better than others as far as what I like,as Spudman has suggested it would be a good idea to go and play several different models to find one to fit you:)

grungeiceman
June 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
My best freind owns the Black Beauty, and wow amazing guitar the selector switch got top middle and bottom for each pick up, im sure that sounds retarded but i couldnt figure out a better way of saying it. But yeah the guitar beats all of the gibson les paul studio's ive played and is just amazing.