PDA

View Full Version : What's 1st Song You Learned Completely?

R_of_G
June 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Ok, here's one... we were all beginners once [some nights I feel like I still am]. What is the first song you learned how to play that actually sounded correct? For me it was Neil Young's Albequerque. Easy song, but at that point in my playing I was so glad to have something that when I played it, it actually sounded like the "real" song. Been thinking about it a bit lately as I rarely practice or play actual "songs" anymore, mostly practice improvising. Still, there is a joy in playing an actual song that is unique from the joy of developing a cool riff or cool jam or whatever.

marnold
June 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Umm, I'm afraid that my first song was "Country Roads" by John Denver. I'll hide now.

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Umm, I'm afraid that my first song was "Country Roads" by John Denver. I'll hide now.

Mine was "Leaving on a jet plane" by the same. :)

pes_laul
June 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I learned bark at the moon when i was 10 three years ago

Spudman
June 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evil Ways by Santana and Rock n Roll Music by the Beatles both on the same day.

R_of_G
June 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evil Ways by Santana and Rock n Roll Music by the Beatles both on the same day.

Good call on both of those. My first songbook was a Beatles complete songbook, and I beat that thing to hell trying to learn those songs. When I do play actual songs, I definitely drift towards the Beatles. Prob should start a thread with first Beatles song, first Zep song, etc...

Big K
June 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Neil Young Old Man or Nugent Cat Scratch Fever around the same time....

jasongins
June 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
White Room - Cream. Didn't learn the solo though.

R_of_G
June 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
White Room - Cream. Didn't learn the solo though.

same here, know the changes but not eric's solo. do know badge in it's entirety. was my first complete cream song, even before sunshine of your love. maybe because george harrison co-wrote it. politician was also a pretty early edition to my repetoire. been working a little lately on outside woman blues, but not too far into learning it yet.

Robert
June 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I don't think there is one song that I've learned completely yet... :D

Tone2TheBone
June 16th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Rhythm which is the basis for any song all the way through...The Who's "Won't get fooled again" on a cheap acoustic (Stella Harmony) tuned to and played along with a cheap "radio" residing on my headboard.

Dauntless
June 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM
House of the Rising Sun
Played it till my fingers were sore and bleeding, so I wouldn't forget it.
At this point in my life, I've probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn.

Lev
June 16th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Good call on both of those. My first songbook was a Beatles complete songbook, and I beat that thing to hell trying to learn those songs. When I do play actual songs, I definitely drift towards the Beatles. Prob should start a thread with first Beatles song, first Zep song, etc...

+1 for the Beatles. My sister had a Beatles song book and I managed to work out the chords from the diagrams and learned the songs on her Kay acoustic guitar. I can remember starting with Eleanor Rigby, the intro was just Em & G, after that I was hooked.

ShortBuSX
June 16th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin...I finally learned the solo when I was about 15, Id gotten a Guitar World(or similar) that was dedicated to Jimmy Page that month, had interviews and all his gear as well as a about 10 really good solos...Id already known the main riff of the song, so somehow I decided this one was easy enough and devoted a weekend to memorizing it in small parts till Id remembered it all and then later worked on my timing.

R_of_G
June 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
+1 for the Beatles. My sister had a Beatles song book and I managed to work out the chords from the diagrams and learned the songs on her Kay acoustic guitar. I can remember starting with Eleanor Rigby, the intro was just Em & G, after that I was hooked.

i was hooked on the intro to to "get back" and the changes to "for you blue" for the longest time. first zep song i became obsessed with, and remain so, was "moby dick"

duhvoodooman
June 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Wow, I gotta admit, I really don't remember what the first song was that I learned start to finish, solo included. Might have been Mississippi Queen, by Mountain. I remember working long & hard on Leslie West's solo until I could do a halfway credible job. Unfortunately, on an acoustic! :D

R_of_G
June 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Wow, I gotta admit, I really don't remember what the first song was that I learned start to finish, solo included. Might have been Mississippi Queen, by Mountain. I remember working long & hard on Leslie West's solo until I could do a halfway credible job. Unfortunately, on an acoustic! :D

Excellent call! That solo is fantastic. I think maybe I will try to learn that one tonight. thanks DVM!