PDA

View Full Version : What is a archtop guitar

pes_laul
June 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
OK i really dont know what a arch top guitar is ive only played guitar for a few years (im 13) could someone please tell me what a arch top guitar is

Spudman
June 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Wiki is your friend.:) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archtop_guitar

t_ross33
June 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Pretty much just what it says. If you look at the top (front) of the guitar, it will have a slight arch (different guitars will have different profiles). A Les Paul is an archtop, but a solid body. Gibson 335's and such are archtops with hollow or semi-hollow bodies. Other manufacturers such as PRS make archtops as well.

In acoustic or semi-acoustic (hollow or semi-hollow body) instruments, the arch adds certain tonal characteristics. Same holds true with solid body archtops, though it probably has more to do with sustain and resonance qualities than the acoustic sound produced.

Strats and Teles (and Les Paul Studios and Jrs. for that matter) are NOT archtops.

This is also why (I believe) some acoustic guitars (dreadnaughts etc.) are sometimes refered to as "flat tops".

I think that's it, anyway. I may be off base and sure to be corrected by those way more knowledgeable than me :o

Trev

EDIT: Dang! Spuds beat me to it AGAIN! I must remember about Wikipedia! Would have saved a lot of typing and aggravating my carpal tunel syndrom on Gig Day! :D

jpfeifer
June 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Hi,

Actually the Wiki definition referenced earlier has a lot of good information about archtops. I would have to disagree about classifying a Les Paul or 335 as an archtop, even though they have an arched shape to their top.

Usually archtop not only refers to the shape of the guitar's top but also how the body is contructed. The classic archtop style guitars (like a Gibson L5 or Benedetto) usually have a completely hollow body, and often use a solid piece of carved Spruce for the top (as compared to a laminated top which is less resonant). These guitars can be used acoustically, but most people rely on pickups because they're not typically loud enough on their own. Archtops are usually very expensive guitars, if you get a decent one, because of the quality of contruction required and quality of wood, etc.

If you want to hear the sound of an archtop just check out Wes Montgomery. He used a Gibson L5 which is one of the classic archtops.

-- Jim