PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find info on a possible MIJ Squire strat

LagrangeCalvert
June 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
ok...This guy at a yard sale is trying to pitch me a supposed 1987 - this is word for word on the headstock - Squier 2 Stratocaster by Fender for 90 dollars with a case. My problem is I cannot find ANY information about the SER# or build location. There are NO markings saying MIJ MII MIK MIC...NOTHING. And when I went to check a serial number on the neckplate....no serial number there or on the headstock. The only place it had one is a STICKER...not a water label decal...a sticker with a serial number starting with N and ending with 6 more digits. The only thing I can get is off Fenders website, and it tells me it was built in IIRC 93..so that dates it 5-6 years AFTER this guy it was claiming its built. Any one know how they can help me or someone I can call?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Spudman
June 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM
The only thing good about a Squier II is the neck and the body is plywood. Electronics are sketchy. This one also sounds Korean not Japanese. $75 is a better price if you really like it otherwise pass it and wait for a real deal.

LagrangeCalvert
June 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM
The only thing good about a Squier II is the neck and the body is plywood. Electronics are sketchy. This one also sounds Korean not Japanese. $75 is a better price if you really like it otherwise pass it and wait for a real deal.

Im not buying it then....sorry dude is what I will tell him. The neck feels awesome though. Although he's a trumpet player and had it setup by a "pro":rolleyes: and I don't believe it one bit. I will not buy it then. I don't see how the neck is plywood though unless its laminated or skined to look maple. It also needs a few turns in the truss rod, though it felt maple:eek: Yeah, I did a little more research too earlier and as it turns out it is the first year they built in India, and the guy a Mikes music here in cincinnati - a vintage only dealer - said its POSSIBLE but very unlikely that its a leftover squire neck from a CIJ or MIJ strat and was shipped to the new plant. I dunno...either way I don't know enough about the guitar to be an informed consumer so its a no-go on it. :cool:

Spudman
June 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I said "and the body is plywood."
The necks are awesome and everything you would expect from a quality guitar. The necks are often MIJ leftovers. Unfortunately the rest of the guitar can be substandard.
Some of the Squier II's can be good guitars, but they are the exception not the norm.

LagrangeCalvert
June 18th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I said "and the body is plywood."
The necks are awesome and everything you would expect from a quality guitar. The necks are often MIJ leftovers. Unfortunately the rest of the guitar can be substandard.
Some of the Squier II's can be good guitars, but they are the exception not the norm.

My bad.....cause I was wondering how a plywood neck would work!...either way I'm not buying it cause the guy seemed a little shady. Hrm, oh well maybe next time my yard sale skillz will pay off.....:cool:

Brian Krashpad
June 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I've gotta chime in, I had a Squier Stratocaster II and it was pretty crappy.

Fortunately it (along with a crappy Hondo bass) was stolen from my office, insurance covered it, and I used the proceeds to get a nice DeArmond M-72.

Then it became the thief's problem.