PDA

View Full Version : Gig Report 06/15 with Pics

t_ross33
June 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM
The Barley Boys opened/closed for The Poverty Plainsmen (http://www.thepovertyplainsmen.com/pages/main.htm) last night, 2007 recipients of the Saskatchewan Country Music Association Band of the Year Award. These guys have been around for awhile and are one of the top touring country acts in Canada.

Things started out a bit frantic. We found out yesterday morning that The Poverty Plainsmen would be leaving immediately following their set, not packing out the following morning as initially planned. As we had made arrangements to use their PA, closing the night would be impossible unless we provided our own PA, drum kit etc.

Let me go on record here: these guys are some of the best people I've had the pleasure to meet and work with. When they arrived to set up, they were so accomodating, willing to come up with a solution that would suit everyone and do everything they could to make our night easier and a success. And this is the HEADLINING act!! After seeing what we had available for PA, they felt it would be more than adequate for the venue so we set up our gear and they just patched in. When it was time for them to go they pulled the plug, loaded out and headed down the road.

Next problem... half way through our second song, we tripped a breaker for the PA :o We moved some power around, started over and almost got through the whole song before it tripped again. Okay, sort that out skip to the next song - tripped again :eek: We finally figured out that one of the outlets in the kitchen was on the same circuit as we were using and a coffee urn was overloading the circuit. We need a good break-out box. Good thing my brother in-law is an electrician! All the starts and stops stole some momentum, but we recovered and had a pretty good opening set.

The Poverty Plainsmen were, of course, fantastic. Very professional, very tight. By the end of their second and final set, the crowd of about 300 was up and ready to party.

EDIT: It was mentioned in a previous thread that their guitar player uses a POD XT Live board, which he does - but he also uses Variax 700 guitars. Very cool. I was impressed with the live application of this technology. It really helped replicate their studio recordings in a live setting.

We took the stage and picked up where they left off and dug into our bag of rock & roll party tunes. We finished up an absolutely rockin' set around 3:30 AM, packed up and drove the 2 blocks to our drummer's house (I love small town gigs!) to sit on his deck, drink a few well deserved refreshments and watch the morning sun come up.

We got along with the boys in the band quite well and I think we impressed them - enough so that we've been invited to play one of biggest country bars in the province, owned by their lead singer/bandleader. We may also have a shot at getting on the bill to play the beergardens at the Craven Country Jamboree (http://www.cravencountryjamboree.com/) next year, a huge 4 day festival featuring top Canadian and International acts. This year's headliners include Reba McIntire, Alan Jackson, Carrie Underwood and Big & Rich. It may be a long shot, but at least we have made the connections necessary to get in contact with the right people.

We offered to do this gig for free, just to get our foot in the door and meet some guys who are very well connected in the entertainment industry in Western Canada. I think we accomplished what we set out to do, and we had a blast. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is only a HOBBY! :D

Pictures to follow.

Trev

t_ross33
June 17th, 2007, 12:13 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/Poverty%20Plainsmen%20Gig/PPlainsmenGig06-15-07-1.jpg
On stage during the opening set.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/Poverty%20Plainsmen%20Gig/PPlainsmenGig06-15-07-2.jpg
Another stage shot. (The stage is a 53 foot long, steel deck trailer!).

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/Poverty%20Plainsmen%20Gig/PPlainsmenGig06-15-07-6.jpg
A group shot (L to R): Ken Sogge (drums BB), Dion Neibrugge (lead vocals, bass BB), Johnny "6-Pack" Gasparic (guitar PP), Brad Johnson (drums PP), Don Jorgenson (keys PP), Trevor Ross (guitar BB), and Brian Kelly (bass PP)

Do ya think my grin could be any bigger! :D

Robert
June 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Great to hear, Trev! That is awesome news. You're gonna have to quit your day job soon ;)

Looking forward to pictures.

marnold
June 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
That's so cool! I'm green with envy. I really need to figure out some way to play with other musicians instead of by myself in my office. I think that's why I'm particularly bummed that the Fully bass turned out to be a dud. At least then I could have been playing.

tot_Ou_tard
June 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Next problem... half way through our second song, we tripped a breaker for the PA :o We moved some power around, started over and almost got through the whole song before it tripped again. Okay, sort that out skip to the next song - tripped again :eek: We finally figured out that one of the outlets in the kitchen was on the same circuit as we were using and a coffee urn was overloading the circuit. We need a good break-out box. Good thing my brother in-law is an electrician! All the starts and stops stole some momentum, but we recovered and had a pretty good opening set.

I know that you were probably freakin', but this is too funny! :D :p

Just imagine if there was a coffee urn at Woodstock, we might not have had the killer Hendrix Star Spangled Banner.

(by which I mean it was a good thing that they were into alternate forms of mental assistance)

I'm glad you recovered & played on!

LagrangeCalvert
June 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Dont you just love gigs that ......stop.....start.....and stop and start over again? Happened to me once at a show in a community center. So we ended up playing by - and this is no joke - a couple of oil lanterns and about a dozen candles. We found out it wasn't the coffee pot...it was the lights we brought in to do the show. Our power conditioner was yelling at us sayn' "too much crap plugged into me!" if you catch my drift.

Good thing you pulled it off, and I'm happy you rocked their socks off: good job!

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Great report! You can tell a story! I could envision the whole thing including the late night satisfied deck sitting as the light started coming up. Glad it all worked out and would love to hear some band recordings some time!

t_ross33
June 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM
...I could envision the whole thing including the late night satisfied deck sitting as the light started coming up.

Heck, SVL - in this part of the world, the sun barely sets this time of year! It was already light out when we left the venue! :cool: ! Still, nothin' like kickin' back with a brewski to bask in the afterglow of a great night! As far as recording goes, we'll be working on that soon. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks for the kind words, encouragement and support!

Trev

tot_Ou_tard
June 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Dont you just love gigs that ......stop.....start.....and stop and start over again? Happened to me once at a show in a community center. So we ended up playing by - and this is no joke - a couple of oil lanterns and about a dozen candles. If its good enough for Abe Lincoln....:D

Trev you said that the Variax -> POD copped the recorded tones, did it sound too much a recorded guitar?

t_ross33
June 18th, 2007, 06:49 AM
t_O_t, it took me awhile to figure out what brand of axe he was using. As far as "tone" goes, we were playing in a small hockey rink: basically a big tin can with a sand floor, and on a steel deck trailer for a stage to boot. I'd be surprised if anyone with $1,000,000 worth of vintage gear could squeeze anything out of a room like that :D

That said, the overall sound was good (thank God for the dirt floor), the mix was good and everyone was drinkin' and havin' fun. At that point, I think the pursuit of tone is moot anyway. What it did do is allow a variety of sounds/tones found in their songs to be (for the most part) faithfully replicated: steel guitar licks, banjo licks, strats/teles/gibbys - without having to carry semi-loads of gear.

Plank_Spanker
June 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Excellent, Trev!:D

Improvise, adapt, overcome..............................

The good bands pull it off with grace, and you sure did! :D

Brian Krashpad
June 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Cool report and pics. That breaker-tripping sitch can be so frustrating. I played a benefit last summer where the same thing happened. I was already nervous (and I almost never get nervous) since I was winging it playing bass for a well-known artist with no prior practice of the material. Having the PA crap out 5 minutes into the set didn't help!

Glad to hear you got it sorted and had a good time. Break a leg with your future shows!

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
t_O_t, it took me awhile to figure out what brand of axe he was using. As far as "tone" goes, we were playing in a small hockey rink: basically a big tin can with a sand floor, and on a steel deck trailer for a stage to boot. I'd be surprised if anyone with $1,000,000 worth of vintage gear could squeeze anything out of a room like that :D

That said, the overall sound was good (thank God for the dirt floor), the mix was good and everyone was drinkin' and havin' fun. At that point, I think the pursuit of tone is moot anyway. What it did do is allow a variety of sounds/tones found in their songs to be (for the most part) faithfully replicated: steel guitar licks, banjo licks, strats/teles/gibbys - without having to carry semi-loads of gear.
I can see how that would make thing quite a bit easier.

M29
June 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Awesome to hear Trev, looks like things are going great. Oh man the breaker trippin thing...Our band kept trippin a breaker on a gig and it was not bad enough but the darn Hammond B3 organ had to wait while to start up again and we would just set there and wait, only to have the breaker trip again in a few minutes. Ah the memories.

All the best on the future gigs:R

M29

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Gee, I knew Trev before he got rich & famous!! ;)

Sounds like you guys had a ball, and that's what it's really all about!! :DR

Tone2TheBone
June 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I just now saw the pics TR 'cause I have a web block at work on photos that are stored online somewhere. Very dang cool. Great photos man.

LagrangeCalvert
June 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
BTW...how did the POD and line six gear get driven...Im guessing direct thru the PA....and heres a silly question but I HAVE to ask cause Im a noob to that kind of gear: Was there any feedback or issues with the guitar/chain?......just asking cause if not, this might be seen a helluva lot more in the future.

t_ross33
June 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
BTW...how did the POD and line six gear get driven...Im guessing direct thru the PA....and heres a silly question but I HAVE to ask cause Im a noob to that kind of gear: Was there any feedback or issues with the guitar/chain?......just asking cause if not, this might be seen a helluva lot more in the future.

Everything was DI'd to the board - no on stage amplification at all. For anyone! They have a pretty extensive (expensive) in-ear monitor system that let's each individual control their own monitor mix (to a certain degree at least). In addition, the drums were contained behind plexiglass panels, so nothing was bleeding into the vocal mics. Very controlled sound - no feedback issues whatsoever.

LagrangeCalvert
June 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Everything was DI'd to the board - no on stage amplification at all. For anyone! They have a pretty extensive (expensive) in-ear monitor system that let's each individual control their own monitor mix (to a certain degree at least). In addition, the drums were contained behind plexiglass panels, so nothing was bleeding into the vocal mics. Very controlled sound - no feedback issues whatsoever.

im a fan of Zepplin....but damn this sounds nice.....I want.

t_ross33
June 21st, 2007, 06:07 PM
I just now saw the pics TR 'cause I have a web block at work on photos that are stored online somewhere. Very dang cool. Great photos man.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'll post some more pictures once my drummer figures out how to get them off his camera. Yeesh, drummers :D

BTW, we received a nice little email/testimonial:

"A great selection of music, outstanding vocals, and an enthusiasm about playing that you don't see enough in bands today. The result..... A really fun bunch of guys that deliver". Mark Smith (Lead Singer: The Poverty Plainsmen) & (Owner: The Pump Roadhouse, Regina Sk)

We didn't even have to pay him to say that! Can't get much better than that! :DR