PDA

View Full Version : 6/8 Blues

Robert
June 17th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Been practicing slow 6/8 blues tonight. Here are two takes - which is better?

Take 1 (http://www.box.net/shared/static/93b7zycb18.mp3)

Take 2 (http://www.box.net/shared/static/hv32f45kk6.mp3)

Jimi75
June 17th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Take 1:
Very good take. Intelligent. Maybe too intelligent.

Take 2:
That thing was real - a little more Highway 61, if you know what I mean. Especially 01:44-01:50 had balls and the beginning was fresh and surprising.

It is good to hear that you are always able to follow the chords, which is lightyears away of guys who only stay in th same position.

Robert, what is is that you are diving so deep into the blues lately - this fits your playing so well my friend!

FrankAxtell
June 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Robert,
Your blues phrasing is really well executed on both of these fine cuts, I really enjoyed both of the cuts, keep up the fine work!

warren0728
June 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
man that's a hard choice....both were excellent!

take 2 was a little less complex which i think works well with the blues....both are going on my ipod!

ww

Robert
June 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys! I love blues. I am really a blues player at heart, and I usually don't have so much time to "practice", but the last 2 evenings, I've been having some time available so I figured I should make attempts at recording something.

duhvoodooman
June 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
+1 for #2 :DR

Spudman
June 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Can you put up the bare backing track in case anyone else wants to mess with it?

jpfeifer
June 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Hi Robert,

These are both really great takes. But having listened to both. I like the first take. There's some good flow to that take especially. There's great ideas in both but the first take flows better. I really like these changes you're playing over, kind of the "Stormy Monday" changes. There's some good places to depart from the Blues scale to do some more jazzier things over those minor chords. You're doing great ideas over those changes!

-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I like them both and think they each are good takes. My personal favorite of the two was take 2. Felt a little looser right away and conveyed more feeling sooner to me. I can learn tons from both though. I am putting both on my iPod too! Thanks!

tot_Ou_tard
June 18th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I'm conflicted. They are both great!

#1 has a great smokey feel (Jim nailed it with the Stormy Mondays reference).

#2 is looser & more playful.

I'd say it was #2 by a nose.

Justaguyin_nc
June 18th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Both sound very good Robert.. If one would have to chose.. depending on the time of day... I pick Number 1, it has a great flow to it and some BB king in it.. Number 2 if later in the evening.. has a mild srv sound to it.. and they both have a Robert Renman to them.. well played.

Lev
June 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
both are awsome but #2 was my favourite, it's a bit more bluesy to my ears.
+1 for Spuds suggestion on the backing track. Great work Robert!

Robert
June 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys, glad to hear you like me blues!

Here is the backing track - http://www.box.net/shared/static/4s8xjguk0f.mp3

LagrangeCalvert
June 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM
man....correct me if I'm wrong, but your use of the 2nd postion in the pentatonic is great....phrasing is spot on, and yeah, you deff know your scale structure's......ace job. I would have love to have herd a flattened fifth in there with a heavy pick attack...you know, lay some grit over the rhythm guitar, and maybe you could have dabbled with a tri tone.....

But any way you cut it, your blues chops are a-ok by me!

SuperSwede
June 25th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Both tracks sound great, but my favorite is number #1. Very cool sound, and nice melody.