PDA

View Full Version : Burr Brown 2604 Op-amps

tot_Ou_tard
June 17th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Someone on Harmony Central has this to say about the ART V3 Tube Pre:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the only thing I really want to say. Spend a little time and money and swap out the two 5532s and the TL072 with Burr-Brown opamps (2604 is pin-compatible) and replace the 12AX7 tube with a 5751 and you've got an amazing-sounding preamp for little money.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have one of these & thought that I might as well change out the op-amps. Where do I get them?

I looked here

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/opa2604.html#samples

& just got confused.

Vood?

chordshredder
June 17th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Looks like the OPA2604AP or OPA2604APG4 are the 8 pin DIP package you would be interested in. Did you try Digikey or someone to see if they stock them.

duhvoodooman
June 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
The 5751 tube type has about 30% lower gain than the 12AX7 and reportedly has a somewhat smoother, sweeter tone with richer harmonics. Of course, this description comes directly from those who sell them! ;)

The Burr-Brown opamps are noted for low noise and high fidelity, and generally cost 5 or 10 times what most other opamps do. You can get a 2604 at Small Bear Electronics (http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=500) for $4.45 apiece.

My question is where did this all originate and what deficiency or characteristic of the ART TubeAmp is it intended to address? Just curious what the background on this mod is....

** EDIT **

Apparently, this is all aimed at reducing the unit's background noise levels.

BTW, Tot, have you looked to see if the opamps are socketed or soldered directly into the PCB? If the latter, thay can be kind of a pain to change. Be sure you have some desoldering braid, in that case....

tot_Ou_tard
June 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, it is to lower the bnoise, but I also thought that it would generally improve the audio characteristics.

Socketed or soldered? Jeez, I hadn't looked. If soldered, then forget it.

I shouldn't be allowed around molten metal ;) :D

I already have a GT 5751 Mullard reissue.

Thanks Vood!