PDA

View Full Version : Throbak Overdrive Boost

Justaguyin_nc
June 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Another Fine pedal I got myself into!
I hope..
Well, Still without guitar talent or skill (probably never get good) but the fortune to find some deals on *cough* E-Bay...
I just won a bid on a Throbak Overdrive Boost Booster Pedal!

The Throbak Overdrive Boost Sells new for $220.00 and I got mine in "Like NEW" condition for just under $130.00.

Well whats a Throbak Overdrive Boost Booster Pedal you ask?

It's going to add to my searching for Gilmour sound as my Colorsound Power Boost replacement! (I hope)

Not only is it suppose to have the exact circuit as the Colorsound Power Boost.. it has extras..

here is the low down:

Throbak Electronics offers the Overdrive Boost.
Throbak has reproduced and improved the circuit of the original Colorsound Overdriver (also known by the name Power Boost).
The original was used by Jeff Beck and was an integral part of his 70's signature tone. The Colorsound Overdriver was also a favorite of Marc Bolan and is considered by many to be the best overdrive/booster ever made.
This vintage circuit was made popular for it's ability to bring body, dimension and tonal flexibility to a single channel tube amp. This Silicon transistor circuit can give everything from a substantial and extremely transparent clean boost to all out silicon fuzz and every tonal variation in between.

The flexible and interactive bass and treble controls can add treble bite and chime to a overly bassy amp or add a meaty low end to an amp that sounds too thin. This pedal is almost like it's own little amp in a box that will bring amazing clean and distorted tones to any tube amplifier.In keeping with our Signature sound philosophy we have added several improvements and tweaks to the pedal that let you tailor your own signature sound with this tonal giant. First we have added a master volume.

The original Colorsound Overdrivers usually lacked a master volume control so we added one to the Overdrive Boost. As with the Throbak Fuzz Haze and Stone Bender a Pre Gain switch has been added giving more control to low note definition of distorted tones. Thirdly a switchable Germanium transistor has been paired with a Germanium diode and added to the circuit.
The original circuit remains in tact but when switched on, the Germanium pair adds flexibility way beyond that of the original Colorsound Overdriver,adding the edgy, compressed distortion tones you can only get from Germanium. In addition to these features each silicon transistor has it's own internal trim pot to ensure that each pedal is perfectly tuned.

Give your non-master volume amp the control of a master volume amp.
When paired with a great non-master volume amp like the Throbak 18 Watt Classic Combo, the Overdrive Boost lets you crank your amp to 10 and still play at bedroom levels, while keeping the great cranked tone. The Overdrive Boost gives the same rich, complex tones usually only associated with an attenuator, but cheaper more compact and more tonally flexible when compared to an attenuator. The combination of the master volume and the Germanium pair gives this attenuator like effect.

This attenuator like effect is only made possible with the ThroBak Germanium pair modification. The original unmodified Colorsound Overdrive circuit cannot duplicate this attenuator like effect with a non-master volume amp.

Rediscover what Jeff Beck and many others discovered with the original circuit by getting the Overdrive Boost between your guitar and amp.

Features:
Powder coated exterior.
Switchcraft Jacks.
Teflon wire.
Silver solder.
3 Carefully selected TO-18 metal can Silicon transistors, as used in the original circuit.
Externally switchable pre gain control with internal pot allowing you to dial in best pre gain for your guitar.
Switchable Germanium transistor and Germanium diode pair.
Bias adjustment for all three silicon transistors ensuring a perfectly tuned pedal.
Master volume.
Gain, Bass and Treble adjustment.
Metal film resistors.
Mallory M-150 polyester Capacitors.
9 volt power jack.
True bypass switch.
Power LED.
Compact pedal design.

That's a lot for my little brain to absorb.. but hopefully , I will enjoy absorbing it...

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this pedal or use it?

Does it really have the exact circuit as the Colorsound?

The Colorsound re-issue is running near $300.00 and I knew I would never get one of those.

But at the price i got this.. I just have to try it out!!

Now the wait.. California to Carolina... a weeks worth of waiting at least..:(

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/

333maxwell
June 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Another Fine pedal I got myself into!
I hope..
Well, Still without guitar talent or skill (probably never get good) but the fortune to find some deals on *cough* E-Bay...
I just won a bid on a Throbak Overdrive Boost Booster Pedal!

The Throbak Overdrive Boost Sells new for $220.00 and I got mine in "Like NEW" condition for just under $130.00.

Well whats a Throbak Overdrive Boost Booster Pedal you ask?

It's going to add to my searching for Gilmour sound as my Colorsound Power Boost replacement! (I hope)

Not only is it suppose to have the exact circuit as the Colorsound Power Boost.. it has extras..

http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/

I've never heard of one.. that is hitting me anyways.

Sounds like fun.. the price is right..

Hell, I recently picked up a Seymour Twin Tube for almost twice as much, and ALL they really had to say about it in the descriptive was 'it usualy works'....

_________

I love new gear adventures.. I wish it would hurry up and get here durnint.. I wanna hear more about it.

Justaguyin_nc
June 20th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Prices on some pedals are just plain high!

Here is the reason I didn't get a Colorsound.. although I have looked and bid quite often on them..

Used Reissue even:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230142287880&rd=1&rd=1

I think the throbak will be just fine at under $130.00 used.

Tone2TheBone
June 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
That's gonna look killer on your new board Justa. Let us know how it sounds. I'd like to hear Voodoo's take on a pedal like this. One step closer to your sound man...that's awesome.

Justaguyin_nc
July 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM
That's gonna look killer on your new board Justa. Let us know how it sounds. I'd like to hear Voodoo's take on a pedal like this. One step closer to your sound man...that's awesome.

Yeah a vooodooo yellow would look cool next to the orange..:)

I found out one thing using this pedal.. it has both the silicon and germanium chips in it for fuzz...both very different...

germanium is much smoother... although..to achive sounds you like to blend to sound like old favorites..the silicon works better...

Think I will hold off on the new release of that Jimi Hendrix fuzz..this got a great pair built in...

it also does the transparent clean sound very well for me.. one heck of a nice pedal even if at retail price!!

I need a bigger pedal board..sigh