PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Live: Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2

duhvoodooman
June 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Was looking at a couple of Pink Floyd vids on YouTube tonight and came across this one. After starting out the song with his familiar black Strat, I was surprised & delighted to see what Gilmour switched to for the solo at the end of the tune! Nice close-up right at 4 minutes. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3aIQyL9Mh0

Justaguyin_nc
June 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Doesn't get any better then Floyd 80's tour.. even with a Gibson in his hand..:) I like it at 5 minutes..when the real Gibson Player starts.. that's Snowy White aint it?

I always thought David used his Bill Lewis guitar for that part or had Snowy play it.....;)

Lev
June 18th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I believe he used this very '56 Gold Top on the original recording - it's funny coz lots of people hold up that solo as a definitive 'strat lead tone' when it was actually a Gibson.

marnold
June 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Kinda like how some of Jimmy Page's Les Paul tone was in fact a Telecaster.

333maxwell
June 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Was looking at a couple of Pink Floyd vids on YouTube tonight and came across this one. After starting out the song with his familiar black Strat, I was surprised & delighted to see what Gilmour switched to for the solo at the end of the tune! Nice close-up right at 4 minutes. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3aIQyL9Mh0

I was in the LA audiance for that show.. right up front.. worse place to be.. they kept building this styrofoam brick wall up as the show went on, and soon us fron't row'ers couldn't even see the band.

THe best review I heard at the time, was one bloke who said 'It was a fantastic show, for a band who doesn't mind playing second fiddle to a bunch of plastic bricks.

I was also back stage in 1973 (I THINK it was 73.. pretty sure.. winter time, I remember the snow coming home) in McNichols Arena for Dark Side of the Moon..

ANd while they didn't have bricks yet, they had a lot of floating and other diversions then too..

Good stuff..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=676362

Spudman
June 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I believe he used this very '56 Gold Top on the original recording - it's funny coz lots of people hold up that solo as a definitive 'strat lead tone' when it was actually a Gibson.

His gold top has a distinct sound for sure. Just before David released "On An Island" he had videos from the studio sessions on his web site. He played the Gold Top in all of them and it is an amazing sounding guitar. You might want to check out David Gilmour's web site for more on that guitar.

R_of_G
June 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM
On an interesting side note to this thread, last month I saw Roger Waters in Tampa. Roger sounded great, but I was less than thrilled with his guitar players. They had the licks right on the Floyd songs, but the sound was too, I dunno, too something that was not even close to Gilmour. When I looked at what they were playing, I figured out why. One had a Les, the other a Tele. I was shocked that not one of them had a strat. What it proved to me was that you can put 2 guys up there with great euipment and all the licks, but only David Gilmour is going to sound like David Gilmour. I get that they weren't necessarily trying to get his sound, and most of the drunkards there never noticed, but I am all about tone, and theirs was not right for Floyd songs.

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
The particular vid linked has been removed. I would love to see it if you run across it again. I have found other versions posted. My instructor gave me his tabbed out solo for Pt. II, and I am beginning work on it. A lot I can learn from it. I enjoy messing around with my MXR delay, just noodling and making noises in D minor playing along. Now I can try and actually learn the licks.