PDA

View Full Version : Bill Frisell

R_of_G
June 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
The man is, in my opinion, the absolute master of guitar tone. His playing is spectacular, and between his own work and his work as a sideman, he has played in every genre from bluegrass to speed metal. Of living guitar players, he is behind only Marc Ribot on my list of favorites, and it is a close call.

Robert
June 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I love him too. Fantastic player and with a unique sound. I think he uses Lexicon LXP-5's for his effects.

I love his way of chording. To say that he knows what he's doing would be a grave understatement!

tot_Ou_tard
September 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Just picked up Good Dog, Happy Man & East/West. Both are fantastic.

tjcurtin1
September 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Agreed! The range of his playing is astonishing - you can always tell it's him, but he plays with so many different - and so varied stylistically - musicians.

"Good Dog' is among my favorites, along with 'Gone like a Train' (to my ears, a kind of quitessential American music), and a great international brew on 'The Intercontinentals'. And he did a couple of interesting albums with Ginger Baker (yes, that Ginger Baker - I hadn't known he was still alive).

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah, the rest of you fretter brother should really check him out. He's not a shredder, no instead he is a incredibly tasteful player who knows how to play the notes that count.

Listen to him here play a classic Dylan song "Just Like A Woman", played the "Frisell" way. Beautiful!

EkM3Wiy7j5Q

Jimi75
September 21st, 2007, 01:46 AM
I guess we already spoke about Bill once, didn't we?

He's such a great player and it his use of the whammy bar is incredibly melodic.

His compositions and arrangements are high class.

Love this guy's music and tone.

R_of_G
September 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE=Robert]Yeah, the rest of you fretter brother should really check him out. He's not a shredder, no instead he is a incredibly tasteful player who knows how to play the notes that count.

Listen to him here play a classic Dylan song "Just Like A Woman", played the "Frisell" way. Beautiful!

However, the man can shred like no other when it's called for [check out John Zorn's "Naked City" to hear some fine examples of Frisell playing all out.]

tunghaichuan
September 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
I remember checking "Before We Were Born" out of the library many years ago. I really enjoyed that CD.

Frisell is a fantastic player.

I do own "Nashville" which I like a great deal, but then again I like bluegrass and some country.

I also got "Smash & Scatteration" by Frisell and Vernon Reid a few weeks back. I like that CD as well, although the drum machine sounds are dated, IMHO. OTOH, great guitar playing is never dated.

If I wanted to increase my Bill Frisell collection, what are the essential recordings for a beginner like me?

tung

tjcurtin1
September 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, the rest of you fretter brother should really check him out. He's not a shredder, no instead he is a incredibly tasteful player who knows how to play the notes that count.

EkM3Wiy7j5Q

This almost sounds like a Renaissance lute piece, the way he plays it!

R_of_G
September 24th, 2007, 06:16 AM
If I wanted to increase my Bill Frisell collection, what are the essential recordings for a beginner like me?

tung

Tung,

If you like the country/bluegrass sounds of "Nashville" I would def suggest you pick up both "Good Dog, Happy Man" and "The Willies." Other essential Frisell I would suggest would be "Have a Little Faith" "Ghost Town" "Gone Just Like a Train" "Blues Dream" and "East/West" [which is a fantastic 2-CD live compilation].

tunghaichuan
September 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
R_of_G,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

Regards,

tung

Tung,

If you like the country/bluegrass sounds of "Nashville" I would def suggest you pick up both "Good Dog, Happy Man" and "The Willies." Other essential Frisell I would suggest would be "Have a Little Faith" "Ghost Town" "Gone Just Like a Train" "Blues Dream" and "East/West" [which is a fantastic 2-CD live compilation].