PDA

View Full Version : Gain For Minors

Robert
June 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Trying something a bit different here... :R

Here it is - Gain For Minors! (http://www.box.net/shared/static/mkmslifxzn.mp3)

Backing track here (http://www.box.net/shared/static/26fdvrrgsv.mp3)

Curios to hear what the feedback will be on this one! :D

Spudman
June 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Love the tone on this one! Stellar. Although the playing is sloppy as usual I still like it.:D

What pedal ya got going on there? Or is that Line 6? Sure sounds good. That guitar is making a big difference in your sound. Too bad about the sloppy playing though.;) Keep practicing. lol

PS. You'll have to put that backing track up too. Please?:)

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Killer Robert! Spectacular tone and playing. More!

Jimi75
June 19th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Hello Robert,

First of all I have to say that the tone on this take has balls! Man, how long did you tweak to get that thing together?

Here's what I liked most:
1. Around 01:37 you start to play some very very cool bendings
2. From 2:34 on you release the beast - that is what I call natural dynamic playing and feeling what is going on in a song.
3. I love it when one can hear how the pic attacks the string and one can hear that "growly" sound.

This is a super track Robert and your playing shows many facettes, especially in the finishing licks.

Robert
June 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Backing track here (http://www.box.net/shared/static/26fdvrrgsv.mp3)

Thanks guys! Not my usual tone, is it? I'll keep you guessing about what I used to record that tone!

Jimi, it didn't take that long to get that tone. I rolled down my volume knob on my guitar in the beginning.

Spudman, I am working on the sloppiness, really...

Jimi75
June 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Robert, if you keep us guessing than it must have been something very unorthodox, like one of your vintage x3000 selfpainted cheesecake pedals combined with the Bad Monkey, boosted by your microwave and directly into your soundcard :)

aeolian
June 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
You were in the zone on this tune.

Robert
June 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks! Okay, it was the Toneport. But which model?

Jimi75
June 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Soldano or the Puppet thing maybe.

helliott
June 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Gorgeous. Tell us about some of the scales and variations you used here. I can hear some unusual mixtures.

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Very nice! I like it a lot!

Robert
June 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks Steve and everyone!

Okay, Jimi was right. I used the Soldano (SLO).

Helliott, hmm, that's a long clip to comment about. Maybe you could ask how many minutes:seconds into the clip you hear something you would want me to explain?

ted s
June 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Nice Robert, that backing track has me thinking Gary Moore.

Robert
June 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Hey Ted, I was thinking someone would say that! I never listened much to Moore, but I actually had him in my brain as I was playing! It obviously rubbed off a little bit on my playing somehow.... It may have been the guitar tone I got that reminded me of him, not sure.

ted s
June 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM
That's funny Robert, yes, the opening definitely, for me anyway.

Jimi75
June 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Gary Moore played Soldano for a long long time and yet that you say it, your tone has a Moorish touch - no doubt.

I know no one who could clearly say that he was influenced by Gary Moore, but Moore was very present in the 80's as one of the best metal guitarists, he was there in the 70s with Lizzy and of course he revived Bluesrock in the 90s, so it's no wonder that this guy left a mark every here and there, maybe on us all.

Robert, I know you can not go into detail with every lick, but how do you approach/prepare such a song? Do you think more technically of what you can put in there, or do you first make a record of a first take and filter the best ideas? Are you that disciplined that you put the guitar aside and think of melodies first? That would be interesting, because your songs are always a great mixture (to my impression) of well thought technical aspects and free playing. Is that right?

aeolian
June 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Robert, I know you can not go into detail with every lick, but how do you approach/prepare such a song? Do you think more technically of what you can put in there, or do you first make a record of a first take and filter the best ideas? Are you that disciplined that you put the guitar aside and think of melodies first? That would be interesting, because your songs are always a great mixture (to my impression) of well thought technical aspects and free playing. Is that right?

These are great questions! I'd like to hear Robert's response.

Robert
June 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Jimi, I just play whatever comes to mind. I do zero percent preparation on "practice songs" like this. However, If I was serious about the recording, I would probably record over and over and see what ideas come out, and maybe focus on some of them to build a good solo. Well, maybe, maybe not - I like to just go for it to see what happens. I have a bit of vocabulary to take ideas from, because of playing so many years, but it's not a conscious process, it just happens.

What approach I would use for the lead would depend a lot on the guitar tone I use. In this case, the tone had more gain so I played more aggressively. If I had a soft, clean sound, I'd probably go more into jazz. For me, my guitar tone definitely shapes the way I play.

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Great Robert. You home recordings put my studio ones to the floor hehehe.. I liked specially the part from 3:27 - 3:50.. You play some stuff there that reminds me of Peter Green kind of phrasing.

Lev
June 21st, 2007, 09:19 AM
As ever great tone, phrasing and melodies - if you put out a CD of this kind of music I'll be the first to buy it!! Gary Moore also came to my mind while I was listening.

Robert
June 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Iago and Lev, thanks so much! That would be cool to make a CD one day! I can always hope!

sunvalleylaw
June 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
As ever great tone, phrasing and melodies - if you put out a CD of this kind of music I'll be the first to buy it!! Gary Moore also came to my mind while I was listening.

That's funny, as I listened to this, I thought it would not be too hard for Robert to do a CD. You should consider it Robert, after, of course, the blues instructional CD I want to order from you. How about a pre-order?

Robert
June 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
You mean Blues DVD. Don't pre-order - too much pressure! :)

I have so much stuff going on, it's just so hard to get it finished. Patience is a virtue, some say...

sunvalleylaw
June 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
No pressure Robert from here. Just joking around. But yes, patience can be tough for me at times. Not at all on this issue though. :)

Seriously about a CD someday, I am sure if you wanted to make one it would be great!