PDA

View Full Version : Betcha can't play this!

Jimi75
June 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Heyho folks,

there's so much stuff on youtube and I just found this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg&mode=related&search=

It's approx. 5 minutes, but the creme of the crop starts at 4:25!

*LMAO*

snarph
June 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
ah my daughter can play faster then that

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
*Yawn* I prefer Robert any day.

M29
June 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hey the Golds Gym shirt is cool with all the extra room and wrinkles in it. The man can pick!

M29

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Gee, I want me two Randall half-stacks and a real metal guitar.....NOT!!

While I can respect the technical wizardy, I rather have a root canal than listen to that stuff....

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Gee, I want me two Randall half-stacks and a real metal guitar.....NOT!!

While I can respect the technical wizardy, I rather have a root canal than listen to that stuff....
Yeah, but can your dental surgeon do your root canal that fast?

Robert
June 19th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Tot, you make me laugh! Very good comment there! HEHE!

Ro3b
June 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Hah, I just linked to a couple other of his vids in the "Have you Heard" board. Hard to believe he's only 22, isn't it? :D

ted s
June 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
yah, 22.. rode hard and put to bed wet.

marnold
June 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I've always been impressed with MAB. Finding his instructional DVDs got me to listen to some of his other stuff. The Nitro stuff is way over the top, which was pretty much the intention. In his solo stuff, while he can play a million miles an hour, I've been impressed that he can and does take time to slow it down a bit and let the music breathe. Speed Kills has long been considered one of THE DVDs to get if you want to shred.

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hah, I just linked to a couple other of his vids in the "Have you Heard" board. Hard to believe he's only 22, isn't it? :D
Ummm, he was born in 1956 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Angelo_Batio), so he's 51....or am I missing a joke here??

Iago
June 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM
ah my daughter can play faster then that

I hope she doesnt look like him too!

jpfeifer
June 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
This guy has some incredible chops that is for sure! Thanks for sharing those links.

But I guess that I'm too friggin old to really appreciate shred metal anymore. While I can appreciate the technical ability of people that can play like this, the applause meter inside my head just doesn't light up, and I'm not sure why. I really like the guys who have chops like this but do more interesting things with the phrasing, play over chord changes that are a little more challenging, and also change the tone of their guitar once in a while. Steve Morris and Eric Johnson are the kind of guys I'm thinking of here. Those guys really make me light up.

-- Jim

Robert
June 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
When I hear that kind of stuff, I think of an auctioneer, who talks super fast. I prefer listening to someone who speaks slower, but who has something interesting to say. ;)

Tone2TheBone
June 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Same here. Even back when I was into Metal etc. I still preferred guys who played with a tasty sense of melody and phrasing. I liked hearing the guitar come to an abrupt halt with reverb and delay emanating from it's trail.

Spudman
June 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
I prefer listening to someone who speaks slower, but who has something interesting to say. ;)

I agree. Besides, my hearing is so bad they have to talk slow in order for me to hear.:)

Remember the movie Amadeus? The one about Mozart? There is a scene when the king is asked what he thought about the piece that was just preformed he says, "too many notes." MAB is kind of like that for me. I appreciate that he can do what he does. IT just doesn't hold my attention for very long.

LagrangeCalvert
June 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
well, I don't have the DVD....but I go own one of the randall heads you see in his video....not the actual one...but a RG200ES......its a beast.

Jimi75
June 22nd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Oh, I see that some of you thought this was an appreciation thread :mad:

It wasn't - I thought that would make you smile, especially the end :o

This guy sure has his chops and plays super fast, but it's not my world.

LagrangeCalvert
June 22nd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Oh, I see that some of you thought this was an appreciation thread :mad:

It wasn't - I thought that would make you smile, especially the end :o

This guy sure has his chops and plays super fast, but it's not my world.

His chops are off the chart....and I do appreciate it...
and considering the fact he can play with his hands over the top of the fretboard:eek: :eek: . I can flip the guitar over and strum simple chords....I do it sometimes to show off....sometimes to test myself. Im more impressed with his choice of head....thats the "warhead" BEFORE Dimebag picked it up....then it took off.

But like y'all said...no thanks for me....but his is a BEAST.

Ro3b
June 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Well, of course it's music that's empty of any purpose other than to show off the virtuosity of the performer. But who cares? It's a trapeze act! The precedent for this stuff goes all the way back to Paganini. Actually MAB kind of looks like Paganini, come to think of it. :-)

What I do like about MAB is that he plays with such incredible clarity. His stuff is of course blazingly fast, but somehow his tone and ultra-precise technique combine to make it easy for me to follow what he's doing. Which is more than I can say for a lot of other shredders. It doesn't sound like MAB is using anything like the level of distortion that I usually hear in this kind of music.

My problem with instrumental shred metal is that somehow between the lack of vocals and the aura of High Seriousness it just doesn't seem very, hm, how to put this... badass. MAB's stuff with Nitro is just more fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeu4EMgqjwc

sunvalleylaw
June 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
I agree. Besides, my hearing is so bad they have to talk slow in order for me to hear.:)

Remember the movie Amadeus? The one about Mozart? There is a scene when the king is asked what he thought about the piece that was just preformed he says, "too many notes." MAB is kind of like that for me. I appreciate that he can do what he does. IT just doesn't hold my attention for very long.

When I took piano lessons as a kid, I really liked Mozart pieces. Better than Beethoven and Tchaikovsky to me. I remember that line in the Amadeus movie about the too many notes. Maybe I am just a classical piano shred head. I don't feel the same about guitar shred. There, I like the feel of a piece more than the speed. Totally can appreciate the talent and practice to get there though.