PDA

View Full Version : Fretters...what do you think of.......

LagrangeCalvert
June 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I feel that if you don't have the money, and the time to gig...like having a big family or lots or responsibilities don't have that much playing time then you could have a guitar reliced for the look/feel of it.

But I also feel if your a serious musician, your gear will relic along side the musician ....look at Keith Richards......and his tele's and other guitars:eek: :DR

Now....it also has to be done right....or it just looks.......well.......really really fake.

sunvalleylaw
June 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
To me, the knocks and bumps and bruises a guitar has are pieces of it's history and character. I voted 2. I feel the same about beating up a pair of jeans and then charging more for them. Just my opinion, and I am just a beginning guitar player, but there you have it. :-)

Jimi75
June 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I voted for number 2.

I am not a friend of buying pre-reliced stuff.
Your guitar has to have "original scars".

Justaguyin_nc
June 20th, 2007, 08:15 AM
man, One thing you got to give us smokers credit for... we can stain a guitar to look relic'ed in a few years... I know mine do..:)

I vote for letting it age on its own... umm with vintage parts and aged plastics ofcourse.

Iago
June 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I voted for "5". I would have a NOS, but Relic.. really not for me. I just don't drool over heavily worn guitars at all. But of course, if I played a custom shop relic and it sounded amazing I'd love to have it. My tele has a lot of bumps and scratches, rusting saddles.. to me thats enough.

Brian Krashpad
June 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
If you want an old-looking guitar, buy an old guitar or play the heck out of a new(er) one.

I can see paying less for something new that looked relic'd (like some of Gibby's "faded" or "worn" finishes), though I prefer a regular gloss finish. But I'd never pay extra for a relic job. That's just crazy to me. I can beat up my own axes!

;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/FrankenteleTopSmaller.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/FrankenteleRearSmaller.jpg

Lev
June 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I'm on the fence a bit on this.
I do like the Rory Gallagher Strat and this caught my eye recently

http://images.music123.com/products/original/ESP/758262.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM
None of the statements really describe what I would say, which is something like.

eh, to each his own.

I just imagine the social embarassment.

Wow! That is one one beat up guitar who played it before you got it?

ummm *blush* nobody.

Cool! So how long have you been playing?

*shift* uh, 5 years.

Yowwee! You must *really* practice.

Umm, yeah. I'm happy if I get an hour in, what with the wife n' kids..

You must really jam, is this your first guitar then?

*sweat* uh no, I just bought it new last week.

What do you use for a pick, an electric sander?!?

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
What do you use for a pick, an electric sander?!?
Well, now that you mention it, EVH has been known to use an electric drill!

BTW, if you use a drill with a reverse setting, does that mean you can go back and fix your mistakes when you play something wrong?? Not that it ever happens to me.... :rolleyes: :D

P.S. LC, the word is "poseurs". Yeah, I know--I'm s-o-o-o-o anal about this kind of thing! :D

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Well, now that you mention it, EVH has been known to use an electric drill!

BTW, if you use a drill with a reverse setting, does that mean you can go back and fix your mistakes when you play something wrong?? Not that it ever happens to me.... :rolleyes: :D

So exactly *how* does he use his drill? To do root canals while shredding? ;)

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Another dentist reference, huh? Sorry to see that you're looking so down in the mouth.... :D

ted s
June 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
P.S. LC, the word is "poseurs". :D

OOHHH poseurs ! I thought we were talking about possums . .. .

I picked up another $99 Jay Turser Strat in Tab.Sunburst. As cheap as that guitar is I couldn't tale a belt sander to it..

Spudman
June 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
If you want an old-looking guitar, buy an old guitar or play the heck out of a new(er) one.

I can beat up my own axes!

;)

Here here. That's the way it's posed tuh be.:)

LagrangeCalvert
June 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I just thought if your getting a reliced guitar you would turn into a little nasty creature that only comes out at night, or if your stuck in the attic!

Nah, I do thank you all for the input, I just wanted to see a general consensus on this forum....the other forum I frequent is mainly younger people who LOVE beat up old guitars....I like to do it myself, but you can bet if I didn't have the time or the money and I really really wanted one, I would relic the guitar myself.

Ro3b
June 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I just found this description of the relicing process (http://www.tdpri.com/resourceRELICING.htm) over on the Telecaster Forum. It's not for the fainthearted.

He made sure the guitar was dry by wiping it down, and started the checking process. He pulled out a can of compressed air from Office Depot and shook it for about 30 seconds. Then he held the guitar so that it was standing on it's end, held the can upside down and about one foot away from the guitar and sprayed the guitar from top to bottom and covered it in the frost that came out, and then set the guitar down.

The second he laid it flat, you could hear the nitro cracking. He let it sit for about one minute, then went to work rubbing the whole thing with the dye. This will fill in the cracks and give the wood under the cracks a little different color tone.

Mark
June 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I generally have no love for the marketing of "Reliced Guitars" but I dont want to come off as insulting to those that do, so I wont go into my opinions on it and Ill leave it at that.

The one thing that does bug me that shouldnt offend anyone is the wasted effort. By that I mean we now have master craftsmen wasting their time that could be spent build fine guitars, putzin aruond for ways to make something it isnt. They are obviously selling so what I call a waste is putting money in someones pocket, just not any of my money.

Katastrophe
June 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I voted for the "I wouldn't buy it" option. It's amazing the level of accuracy that some of today's builders achieve when building replica relics, but I kinda like breaking a guitar in the old fashioned way... by playing the snot out of it.

R_of_G
July 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM
voted that i wouldn't buy but not offended by them. to each his own as far as the look of their instrument. for me, i know i will own my guitars until they look like that and then hopefully pass them on to someone else who will treasure them like i do.

Plank_Spanker
July 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
The relic fad makes me laugh. It seems that there are at least two camps - Camp One thinks that a $$$$ relic job adds tons of value to an otherwise stock, brand new guitar. Camp Two operates in the fringe - a $$$$ relic job adds gobs of mojo and "tone" to a guitar.

You want a relic? Buy a REAL relic, or play the hell out of what you have for twenty years or so.

Just me, but I find nothing wrong with playing a new guitar and doing my best to take care of it. It will "relic" itself over well spent playing time. I don't need a beat to hell guitar to visually testify to my experience or ability as a player.

To each, his own........................:D

tot_Ou_tard
July 2nd, 2007, 05:49 AM
P.S. LC, the word is "poseurs". Yeah, I know--I'm s-o-o-o-o anal about this kind of thing! :D
Vood, methinks you could drop the phrase that starts "about this...". :D :p :D

pes_laul
July 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
see this is my personal opinion in every way why would you buy a guitar thats beat up EXAMPLE: You can buy a fender sztrat that the paints shaved off and burned and stuff when you can buy a perfactly good glossy nice condition strat for less

tremoloman
July 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
I prefer the aging to be from playing gigs but then again I did cheat by putting plastics in sunlight for a couple of months when I built Pinky. :)

When you play gigs it is inevetible you are going to have ding and/or chips. To me, those are scars of honor.

But hey... if someone wants to pay for that look more power to 'em!